Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features Corvette Gassers

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by bigalturk1, Mar 23, 2011.

1. bigalturk1

bigalturk1

Although I don't have one.....
    Corvette Gassers are hot.
    Anyone have any photos to share?

els likes this.
  2. Lee_ATx

Lee_ATx
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

3. bigalturk1

bigalturk1

Excellent rides, I'd love to build one!

els likes this.
  4. here's a friends 56

Attached Files:

Deuces, chryslerfan55, Rick28 and 2 others like this.

5. BAD PENNY

BAD PENNY
    from mass

Yeah, a minute or two or an hour or so !!!! Just love them straight axle vette gassers. I don't have the stones to do it to my car. I'm afraid to cuz I'm gonna have to sell it someday !!! Prob. worth more as a stocker.

chryslerfan55 and els like this.
  6. A little clarification might be in order. Back when there were actually gas classes for Willys, Anglias, Austins, and any other modified closed car, modified Corvettes ran in modified sports classes. An example would be Big John's Corvette that ran C/MS without the blower, and B/MS with the blower. A straight axle car isn't always a "gasser".

7. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

In the 60s when we could afford to buy an early Corvette it was common to bolt a piece of channel iron between the frame and the front suspension to get the jacked up gasser look. There were quite a few of the early Corvette gasser clones on the street back then. Very easy, very cheap to do and very easy to undo.
    [​IMG]

Sorry it's so big

Last edited: Feb 4, 2012
  8. DirtyThirty

DirtyThirty
    from nowhere...

Sure beats the hell out of those dreadful "restored" ones....:p

els likes this.
  9. Sonicjagstang

Sonicjagstang
    from IL.

Lime Light

Attached Files:

chryslerfan55, Rick28 and els like this.
  10. jimdillon

jimdillon

Limelight was a somewhat unusual Vette in that it ran in AA/Gas supercharged. Always liked many things about this car, including the paint.

In regards to what Dean says he is right on. When I started following drag Vettes in 1966 they were running in MSP classes. Here is a pic of Midwest's 57 Vette that originally ran a Pontiac but is running a 427 Chevy here in 1967. They ran in B/MSP until 1968 when they switched to B/G (under new ownership). NHRA made changes in the rules and did away with the MSP class so many of these old MSP Vettes ran in gas instead starting in 1968. I was working on a Vette that we were going to run in B/MSP in 67 but did not finish the car until 68 and we were bumped into gas, along with a number of the old MSP Vettes.-Jim

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

chryslerfan55, oldtymehiboy and els like this.
  11. snaptwo

snaptwo

My departed pal Billy Ellis and I ran a '56 , it came to him as a total through his business Southern Nevada Auto Parts, hence the name" SNAP Too".. Ran it as a C/MSP until nhra made it a gas class, we decided to run topless and ran as a C/A ,got it down to 2345 Lbs. and did pretty well at the old Stardust International Raceway. The stock front crossmember and suspension was fairly easy to unbolt and was replaced with a liteweight tube ,then a tube axle used with a reversed Corvair steering box. We ran a 331 small journal with Enderle's and a Clutchflite. Fun car, fun times !!

12. Baron

Baron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'd love to do a 56-7 Gasser. Anybody remember the Corvette Hayseed that ran at NE Dragway back in the late 60's-early 70's ? Beautiful !

els likes this.
  13. painkiller

painkiller

[​IMG]

14. 60 ford

60 ford

I've always really liked the older vette gassers, their shape is perfect for a gasser.

els likes this.
  15. Baron

Baron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That's it. Thanks! :) That car was not only was quick, but it was built to show quality. The CAE front axle was plated along with various other parts. I was told that later in time, all the CAE front suspension was all removed(un-bolted) and that the car was put back in its original state. There was a yellow 56-7 with a "sprayed on ,black vinyl" hardtop that used to run around in that same time span. Forget the name of it.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2015
  16. Muttley

Muttley

I heard someone did a stock restoration on The Hayseed. :mad:

[​IMG]

els likes this.
  17. Imperial Kustom

Imperial Kustom

I wonder if any of you guys would remember one that ran on the streets and the tracks in Southern Cal. from the early sixties on? Not a gas car, it ran Fuel, but it belonged to my buddy's dad. It was called Dan'l Boone, had candy red paint with flames, '61 body. Mill was a 301 Chevy, set back 10% with 6-71 blower and Hilborn four hole injection on top. Four speed, straight axle and Olds rear. Wheels were magnesium Americans. Later ran a 377 chev. I know he would love to see some old pictures of that car and possibly find it or at least what happened to it.

18. Church Key

Church Key

19. Church Key

Church Key

The original car was put back to stock condition when Doug Jounis retired it from racing. There is a guy in New Hampshire building a clone of the Hayseed. The good news is all the speed equipment such as the straight axle, roll bar,ect...that was removed from the original car will be going into the clone.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2012
  20. Baron

Baron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Not a gasser,but sure has the right look.
    [​IMG]

els likes this.
  21. jimdillon

jimdillon

Baron it sure does have the right look. It has an up stance and I am guessing he used blocks up front-looks great. You don't see too many 62 fuel injected cars that are not NCRS stock. Good for him, certainly no harm no foul.-Jim

22. jimdillon

jimdillon

Church Key, good to hear that someone will try to keep the spirit of this car alive. With all of the guys scrambling to take them back to stock it is good hear that some remember that the early Vettes actually made a pass or two down the quarter mile.

I try to keep track of the history of these cars somewhat so if you know anything about Hayseed feel free to chime in what you know (or if you know of any articles written on the car).

I notice that Tubular Automotive made the headers for the car when it ran in the black configuration. They made great headers and are still in business. I am using a set of Tubular Automotive headers on my latest project. They are like a fenderwell design (similar-not exactly). These headers are for a big block in an early Vette and they also make a set for the non HAMB friendly LS small blocks, as well as other conversions.

Feel free to fill in any of the blanks on Hayseed-Jim

[​IMG]

23. bigalturk1

bigalturk1

Thanks for the photos!
    A Vette' is on my "To-Do" list, before I'm sent to the dirt.
    Unfortunately, I'll just have to sell my trusty 39' Coupe (And El Camino) to finance the purchase.

24. lrs30

lrs30
    from Kentucky

My old man had a 57 that had the nose bleed stance,Chromed Straight axle Heavy Gold Flake, withCandy Tangerine fading on the rockers and coves, and white tuck and roll, Ansen Slots, Chrome Hoop roll bar, flip front end, small block 4 speed all the right shit!I was maybe 3 or 4 when he owned it. It was his first in a LOOOOOOOONG list of Vettes. It was on the cover of I believe Car Craft in the early Late 60's early 70's when the previous owner had it. He says it was the most god awful unruley and ill handling car he ever owned and that my mother would'nt let me ride in it because she thought I would go deaf! That did'nt stop him from doing it, and I thank him for that!....hehehehe So long story short, we are walking around the cincy cavalcade of customs, and we walk up on a tuxedo black with red int. 57 pristine, resto, beautiful, and look down and low and behold it was dads old car, the guy had pics of it when it was at CARL CASPERS indoor Show at the Cincy Gardens rom the 60's restored back to O.G. condition.. All at the time 40 years and 240 lbs. of me wanted to cry right there..Some day I will build this car again! I would trade my 31 A and my 64 F-100 for a ruff carcass to start this thing.. I will see what I can do to get pics of it. I think all we have are super 8 films of it which I hope to post at some point when I get them copied over.. I would love to find the mag that had it on the cover!

25. dblgun

dblgun

Here's a few

Attached Files:

26. whitey70ss

whitey70ss
    BANNED
    from Central PA

27. whitey70ss

whitey70ss
    BANNED
    from Central PA

Not a corvette guy but this thing has my attention.

els likes this.
  28. Baron

Baron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Dennis O'Brien posted this on another thread on this car. Has quite a history.

"I reveived the following information from Don Dybick (CSRA member who many of you know) who was a previous owner of this car:"
    "1962 Corvette

This is the real history behind the black ’62 Fueler at the Alter Boys show. The car was bought to race in 1961, Vin # 1616. It ran A/sp against 61 Fuelers. It was a red 360 hp, 4.56 posi car that came from Wethersfield, CT. I bought the car in January 1964 on my 20th birthday with 2700 miles on it, for $3,500. Its original price was $5,300.
    It came home on a Friday and I put at least 10 miles on it that weekend up and down the driveway before I could get to Motor Vehicle on Monday. I was the third owner. The second owner bought it to drive, not race. By this time it was bored 60 over, had a Mickey Thompson injection head on it, (Thompson used to take the original head and cut it open, grind the inside and weld it back, to make it look like factory), short lake pipes dumping straight down and a wedge scatter shield. They knew how to cheat.
    I drove it for five years and then took it off the road. In those five years I added one more tail light on each side, changed the color to black, put 4” I beam in the front, built 13” rims with skinny tires for the front, added more leafs to the rear springs and almost put a ¾ ton full floater rear in it.

I raced it once with 5.38’s and slicks and blew the caps off the pumpkin. The original motor went south. A girl slid into me on icy roads, hitting the nose. I bought all the parts to fix it, but that never happened. In 1993 the car was in a garage fire with some paint damage. After 43 years of owning the car, it was time to move on. It only had 35,000 miles on it. We sold it and later we bought a gorgeous ’47 Ford chopped ragtop to go along with our blown 5-window 32 Ford. Life is good. Don Dybick"

Last edited: Apr 12, 2016
  29. bkhpah

bkhpah
    from Latrobe PA

That is one bad Corvette. Thats how I picture a mid-sixties Vette to look..Perfect..BKH

els likes this.
  30. spiderdeville

spiderdeville
    from BOGOTA,NJ

WTF? GROUCHO ? where are ya !!!???