Register now to get rid of these ads!

NEED HELP!! My 300 gets 3mpg!!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by "T'RANTULA", Feb 5, 2012.

1. william.ali.kay

william.ali.kay
    from Milwaukee

Id suggest a vacuum gauge to see if something is going on with the fuel while driving.

Have you changed/fixed anything lately like gas lines, gas cap, fuel pump,etc,,, anything like that?

2. "T'RANTULA"

"T'RANTULA"
    from Ohio

I have ran outta gas several times and after wards looked for leaks and felt for leaks. Ill keep lookin and hopefully find the problem

3. squirrel

squirrel

[QUOTE="T'RANTULA";7421629] do have a couple bad lifters in the engine but I dont think that could cause this problem?[/QUOTE]

What is the vehicle? If it's an OT vehicle that has a catalytic converter, see if it's plugged

4. Dayzedandkonfuzed

Dayzedandkonfuzed

Hate to sound like a broken record, but when they're right, they're right. There's no way you could stuff that much fuel through that carb, and even if you did it wouldn't run.

I had a dodge shadow once that had rotted fuel lines. Most of the time it would siphon air into the line rather than leaking, but when parked on the right embankment (and probably when driving on the right embankment,) it leaked about a quart per minute.

5. BobF

BobF
    from Poway, CA

Are you basing this on speedometer odometer? Is it correct? I agree with several others stating it would barely run at truly 3MPG.

6. "T'RANTULA"

"T'RANTULA"
    from Ohio

Dosent have a catalytic converter

7. Cutlassboy68

Cutlassboy68
    BANNED
    from Boone, Nc

[QUOTE="T'RANTULA";7421629]I just pulled the plugs and the motor is still hot. The plugs are a blueish white color but not black. I got a new gas tank with new fuel line and ive dissassembled the bed and looked every were for 4 months and i cant turn up a leak. This just seems to be insane! I do have a couple bad lifters in the engine but I dont think that could cause this problem?[/QUOTE]

Sounds like your running lean also... Deffinalty have a leak somewhere.

I would suggest starting it, blocking both the front and back tires, crawling underneath it and following the gasline from the tank to the carb...

8. Or else some other meathead was putting gas in the tank when no one was looking. :eek:

That is pretty damned drastic a change to heppen over night and not have any other symptoms. Even @ 16 that thing wasn't doing too well in the mileage dept.

9. "T'RANTULA"

"T'RANTULA"
    from Ohio

Thats what I dont get, the odometer has rolled over a bunch cause the motor is at 419k miles but I have to fill the truck up 3 times a week!!!!

10. Dayzedandkonfuzed

Dayzedandkonfuzed

i'd start by investing in a locking gas cap

11. jazz1

jazz1

I got the same engine ,,85 f150 4x4 300 4sp,,it was getting 6mpg and it ran great.. Problem was the "diaphram" was ruptured causing fuel to flow all the time out that little tube in the throat of the carb so if you look down the carb at idle you should not see any fuel. The diaphram is not included in most rebuild kits,,it was not in mine. Also check your choke tube. My choke tube was not connected,,,could not tell with my good eye but the choke would open while idling in the driveway but then close when I got going down the road and that sucked the fuel...both of these problems will have a significant impact on fuel mileage.

excuse me for not knowing the proper names for the parts in the carb

12. "T'RANTULA"

"T'RANTULA"
    from Ohio

Ill try that but Im skeptical

13. Is the speedo right? Have the trans, rear end or the tires changed?

14. "T'RANTULA"

"T'RANTULA"
    from Ohio

Before I rebuilt the carb the diphram had ruptured and I had thick black smoke comin out the exhaust. I got a manual choke and after the truck warms up I open it all the way

15. roundvalley

roundvalley

Two dumb questions: are you filling up out of a farm tank and can you seee the gas tank to make sure it is not collapsed?

16. "T'RANTULA"

"T'RANTULA"
    from Ohio

Same tires and the speedo is really close, SORRY FOR THE GUESSING GAMES but it has me stumped

17. "T'RANTULA"

"T'RANTULA"
    from Ohio

Whats a farm tank? :confused:

18. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

Does the engine seem like its working real hard to get down the road..like its hauling a heavy load?

check after a good run, Is the trans too hot?
    is the rear end too hot?

just some things that might be loading up the normal rolling resistance of your drive train..

19. "T'RANTULA"

"T'RANTULA"
    from Ohio

The funny thing is my rear end was a posi and now I only got power to the left wheel

20. henry29

henry29

[QUOTE="T'RANTULA";7421693]Thats what I dont get, the odometer has rolled over a bunch cause the motor is at 419k miles but I have to fill the truck up 3 times a week!!!![/QUOTE]

Your spending $670 a month on gas?

21. Dayzedandkonfuzed

Dayzedandkonfuzed

[QUOTE="T'RANTULA";7421715] I got a manual choke and after the truck warms up I open it all the way[/QUOTE]

By that you mean you push the knob in all the way, right?

22. roundvalley

roundvalley

Farm tank= a home tank with a metering nozzle. in other words; how much gas does it take to fill it up when you run out?

23. jazz1

jazz1

So you have the choke tube plugged and are running a manual choke..That's what I did also. Do you see any fuel coming out the little tube in the carb at idle.."acceleration pump" that's the name of that diaphram!

24. "T'RANTULA"

"T'RANTULA"
    from Ohio

Some were like that but I dont drive it anymore til i figure this out

25. "T'RANTULA"

"T'RANTULA"
    from Ohio

Yes

26. "T'RANTULA"

"T'RANTULA"
    from Ohio

No fuel comes outta the little tube unless you put the pedal to the floor

27. "T'RANTULA"

"T'RANTULA"
    from Ohio

13 gallons of gas

28. Dayzedandkonfuzed

Dayzedandkonfuzed

What did you do to the car around the time the mileage dropped off? Is that around the time you rebuilt the carb?

29. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

[QUOTE="T'RANTULA";7421726]...SORRY FOR THE GUESSING GAMES but it has me stumped[/QUOTE]

Don't be sorry. We like guessing games...lol. Kind of interesting.

30. Dayzedandkonfuzed

Dayzedandkonfuzed

x2!