Register now to get rid of these ads!

Roller cam / dis gear

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 34hemipu, Feb 5, 2012.

1. 34hemipu

34hemipu

Guys , I know about billet roller cams needing a bronze distributor gear . But , does a factory roller cam need a special gear also ? Are factory rollers cams cast ?

Thanks , I got a smoking deal on a crate marine small block and would like to use a Hunt mag I have in stock .

Mike

2. George

George

Didn't say what engine, but I'd go to the junkyard & install an OEM gear on your mag.

3. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

Does your crate motor have a distributor? Use that gear.

4. NAT WILLIAMS

NAT WILLIAMS

You did not say what brand of engine. I know on GM the factory used a melonized gear and MSD uses a melonized gear on all of thier new distributors that they sell so the gear is compatable with factory and aftermarket roller camshafts. I have noticed that some roller camshafts have pressed on gears but all I have used were still billit.

5. saltracer219

saltracer219

Most of the cam manufacturers now offer a billet roller cam with a cast gear end mated to the billet cam core. This ends the problems associated with a steel billet cam gear. The cams cost a little more but are worth it in the long run.

6. Larry T

Larry T

I know the factory RamJet crate engines take a melonized (sp??) gear. You can get them from GM, or Summit and Jegs also carry them.
    Larry T

7. AnimalAin

AnimalAin

Fords use steel distributor gears in concert with steel drive gears on the cam. Available from Summit and others.

8. Deuces

Deuces

Yep! I'm running steel gears on all my roller motors...

9. 34hemipu

34hemipu

Thanks guys ! It's a 350 chev , you know . Anyway will probaly swap out the cam for a lumpier one anywho,

Thanks again

10. ray-jay

ray-jay
    from Buford GA

Instead of thinking "dist drive gear" think "oil pump drive gear". It's the oil pump that puts all the load on that gear pair.