Register now to get rid of these ads!

My son doesn't like cars, but my daughter does?!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 53Heavy, Sep 9, 2008.

1. CharlieLed

CharlieLed

Your boy will probably grow up to be a geek (meant in the best way) and earn lots of money and be able to buy any car he wants. Your daughter will love cars and hook up with a gearhead who will then become your new garage buddy. Maybe the boy will share some of the wealth and build you a new workshop!

2. Road Runner

Road Runner

Absolutely nothing wrong with a kid having different interests and likes than their parents.
    That's actually more normal since WW2 than not and for many good reasons.
    They don't actually need parents approval or understanding on every aspect about their lives.

I'm glad my parents let me pursue whatever I wanted and never acted like its about them and how they feel about it.
    And they didn't own or work on old cars either....haha

3. HotRodKristina

HotRodKristina

My 10 year old daughter loves cars. :D

My husband thinks it's hilarious that I know more about cars than he does. I know it makes him proud but he won't admit it. A guy was admiring the 17" 'Bullitt' Mustang wheels on my 04 Crown Vic the other day at the gas station - husband is chivalrous and pumps my gas if I ask ;) - guy starts asking him questionss, husband says 'I don't know what's under the hood, you'll have to ask my wife'

hehe

I don't know where I got my 'car gene' from, my Dad's an engineer and my Mom's an artist... I have to call and remind my Dad to get his oil changed LOL

4. HotRodderDaughter

HotRodderDaughter
    from San Diego

well put! :)

5. olds vroom

olds vroom

My wife grew up working on a vette with her dad, and still works on her car last winter she built a 425hp 350 for it. Keep your daughter interested in the cars and maybe your son will come around when she has a hot car and he as a pile and can't get a date.

6. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Who knows the secrets of the human heart?

7. Road Runner

Road Runner

I don't really want to know, but am glad to know the honest feelings of my dogs.... :D

8. dragsled

dragsled
    from Panama IA

I wouldn't sweat it , my two girls, Brandy and Natilie, One's a mom and one's a singer both want to drive my race cars, Let the boy do what ever makes him happy Tim Jones

Attached Files:

9. pug man

pug man
    from louisiana

Build your daughter one bad ass ride and your son will see what he is missing.....

10. dirtybirdpunk

dirtybirdpunk

I have a buddy who isnt into cars at all, and his dad was a slingshot racer in the 70's. He bought my buddy a 31 model a stocker and a small block ford on an engine stand when he turned 14 and he never touched it or showed any interest in it, his dad finally sold it to a friend, I never could understand it. I grew up without a dad and would kill for a father and father son project...

11. SvenOla

SvenOla
    from Sweden

My son don't have any intrest either and he's 21y/o and don't even have a licence .... this can't be normal and it breaks my heart ! :eek:

12. quick60

quick60
    from Virginia

I have two daughters one is interested and one not but its all good either way. Here is my youngest with her jr dragster!!! In four years of racing 31 career final rounds with 16 wins, 2010 track champion, 2011 7.90 index runner up, and an Iron man winner. Some racers go their whole career and never win an Iron man.

Check out your local drag strip. Take the kids and see if they have a junior dragster program. I promise you it will be the best move you have ever made in regards to spending time with your kids and teaching them about cars and being responsible. She can bleed brakes, change tires, tune the engine, run the weather station, change oil, swap carburators, etc. Started racing at 13 years old and at 17 she was driving her self in my GMC 2500 pulling our 20' enclosed trailer to the track prepping the car and runnning the show herself loading up and driving back after tens hours at the track. My buddy that pitted next to us all he had to do was start the car and help with the burnout as there is no built in starter and no reverse.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 3, 2012
  13. rodhot

rodhot

I don't write much on here, just read alot, but this hit home with me. My daughter has always hung out in the garage when I would be working on something. Even if she was doing something different, she would be there. I do truck and van lettering on the side and she would always say "Hey Daddy, can I do that for you". I started taking her to shows and she would always say she couldn't wait for the next one. Mind you, this was all when she was little tyke and I always thought that when she got older she would lose interest. Oh how wrong I was.
    At the Greaserama a couple years ago I wanted to get some stripes laid down on the dash and had Whiskey do it. If you didn't know, Whiskey is a very talented lady. When my daughter watched her working she knew right then that was something she wanted todo. Now, my daughter is a teenager and pulling lines herself. She does a hell of a job but still needing experience.
    One of the cars she likes and really wants is a tail dragger of somekind.
    Ok, one last story that made me think, Wow, shes hooked. My dad, or PaPa to my daughter, called and needed help pulling the frontend off his Nova and pull the motor/tranny while we were at it. I told the wife I was going out after work to help. My daughter found out after she got out of school where i was and instead of going with her friends like she planned, she had my wife bring her out with us. She just wanted to be there is all. She really likes to see how thing progress while being built.
    Ok, I'm done babbling. Just a proud daddy I guess.

14. 53Hattie

53Hattie

I don't think we choose our passions, our passions choose us, and it ain't always gender specific, ...personally, I can't remember having consciously decided to be a car & m/c nut, I've just always been one.

15. fastcar1953

fastcar1953

well said , thats how it is for me. always had it, only one in my family. 5 kids 2 parents. the only hell my mama raised.

16. OldSkoolIronJunkie

OldSkoolIronJunkie

My little brother is the same way. He turned 16 in November, he is usually at home playing video games. Man I was rarely home after 16, all I wanted was to drive. Give it time your son may come around, but if you push the subject it will go the other way. Until then live it up with your daughter in the garage. Just my $.02.

17. Blades

Blades
    from Chicago

I wish I had a son... It gets lonely in the garage, besides i get tired of rolling in and out from under my car.

18. Man, I have 2 sons and a daughter, now all grown up and married but when my boys were really young they would sit on my knee and we would go through Hot Rod magazines and they knew all the parts I pointed too by name. I thought this was great, I would have 2 Hot Rod boys. But wait there's more, they both grew up and couldn't give a rip about cars but my daughter who growing up was all about Barbies and tea parties decided she wanted to build a car with me that we could drag race together with, so we did and she still talks about us building that car together too this day. Life is just full of surprises and kids can be one of the biggest, sometimes both in coming and in going. Just support your kids in what ever they have an interest in and don't push your interest on them, that usually just doesn't work.

19. Cobol

Cobol

Well least you have a kid who wants to be involved. My son is too young to be helpful (2 years old) but my oldest daughter REALLY wants a car project together. Found one that may work here on HAMB maybe hoping!

I think its great that ANY kid wants to find out about cars. Teaches responsibility and its great to bond.

I never had anyone show me about cars and I am SO looking forward to teaching my daughters and son all I know.

I hope you enjoy showing your daughter about cars. At the very least she wont be ripped off by mechanics if she knows the basics!

I will get back to you in about 10 years if the boy doesn't like cars! :)

20. Ed "Axle" II

Ed "Axle" II
    from Evans,CO

All I can say is enjoy your time with your daughter and fined a way to enjoy time with your son in some way time will be gone before you know it and we can never get the time back take from some who wishes every day that my dad would have been there for me more....

21. PhilJohnson

PhilJohnson

Everyone's different. Myself, I loved old cars when I was a little kid. My Grandpa had a 1938 Ford coupe that sat behind the garage. I think that may have been the first old car that I can remember. I always thought it would be cool to have it. One day my Grandpa decided to get rid of the old buggy to me :) But my Dad thought it was a hunk of junk and would clutter his beautiful yard :rolleyes: So Gramps sold the old beast for 300 bucks. I remember it sold the same day the ad came out. I wasn't happy about it. I tried getting other cars but the answer was always no no no. I've made up for it now, there are cars everywhere on my property. My Dad complains about the mess on my place, I let it go in one ear and out the other. I'm just happy that I can drag home as many hopeless wrecks as I care to.

22. finishline

finishline

my son is 19 no license and could less what under the hood. my 29 daughter who before moving to the left coast was always with me when i was working on my junk,i miss her not being there, great kids i guess i am lucky.

23. Ed "Axle" II

Ed "Axle" II
    from Evans,CO

Just don't let they die and rust away!!!!

24. Jen......

Jen......

my father never thought of cars as something more than just transportation and to work from. for myself i have always found them to beautifull . unfortunately i may never be able to drive and am at mid point of my life now. still i like to look at them and have liked to work on them when i was able to . health now is bad for me and i dont know if ever i will finish what is here

Jen

25. secnwind

secnwind

Every dog to his own post!

26. tjmercury

tjmercury

My boy likes going to car shows, but when it comes to working on them with me, I think he'd rather play video games. My little girl on the other hand, is always out in the shop with me! My wife gets kinda "upset" with me because I am getting her "princess" dirty...my reply is "she is gettin dirty on her own, but if she likes it......."

27. mrconcdid

mrconcdid
    from Florida

When a child shows intrest in the shop (anything positive) always incourge it.
    Never force it on them, they will grow to resent it

MrC.

28. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

I have no son, but two nephews with zero interest in cars. My 10 yr old daughter is building a model '57 Chevy on the dining room table as I write this.

Her stated goal is to get an old car so she and Dad can go to shows together.

29. [​IMG]

30. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The handful of small-minded and sexist comments on this thread make me sad. You guys need to remember, this is 2012, not 1962. Those comments and that line of thinking is not acceptable anymore. Grow up, and move on.

It is bad enough to discriminate against strangers out in the world. It is even worse when you are doing it to your own children.