Register now to get rid of these ads!

Can anyone help a girl out? :) (San Diego)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HotRodderDaughter, Feb 2, 2012.

1. kwoodyh

kwoodyh

ACME Hot Rods
    (858) 874-6906

San Diego Rod and Custom
    (619) 441-2440
    1575 Pioneer Way
    El Cajon, CA. 92020

2. F-6Garagerat

F-6Garagerat

Maybe pull the coil wire off while doing this?

3. alanwoodieman

alanwoodieman

if it starts right back up it is not the fuel pump or the filter, I would bet the idle on the carb is set too low and it is probably an automatic and it just dies when you stop take screw driver and run up the idle screw on the side of the carb

4. quick60

quick60
    from Virginia

Nice call F6. DEFINATELY pull the coil wire off before pulling the fuel line and cranking it.

If you are going to drive a hot rod you might look at joining a local car club and or taking some classes at an adult ed place on basic auto mechanics. There are some all girl clubs on here to where you can get some help as well if you get tired of all the junk responses.

5. Lindsey, I'm not trying to be a dip-stick here, but your Dad is Sid Chavers. I'm sure he knows hot-rodders and car guys all over So. California that would be thrilled to help you out. Sounds like you've gotten some great advice here already so like someone has said, get in there and check out at least the simple stuff. You can do it, I'm sure. Maybe you're just "playin'" us a little and that's fine too. Love your roadster. Hope you get the issue sorted out. I'm a little too far away to be of much help. Good luck.................Don in Md.

6. Harms Way

Harms Way

?????????????????

Ah,... NO,... this is not a good look !

Attached Files:

7. zibo

zibo
    from dago ca

8. when does the car die? while just driving down the road? then its probbably the pump or filter
    or does it die when you stop at a light and going around corners? then its probbaly the float
    is it a holley carb ? then thats your problem

9. HotRodderDaughter

HotRodderDaughter
    from San Diego

Thank you for all the suggestions! Yes my glasses are HUGE and I love them! And yes my dad IS Sid Chavers, you'll see he commented on my first post, but since he does not have any friends/clients etc. in San Diego, he suggested I'd take to the HAMB for suggestions for a shop. Yes googling works, but who's to say who's good & who's not. I appreciate all the help! I'll keep updated as to what happens. Thanks again. :)

10. Lindsay, Being a friend of your dad,s I wouln't steer ya wrong.
    Go see
    Randy @ Customs and Hot Rod Stuff.
    Tell him who you are and I know he'll take very good care of you.
    Good Luck
    Don

11. HotRodderDaughter

HotRodderDaughter
    from San Diego

Thank you, Don! Means a lot!! :)

12. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Lindsay's roadster is as classic today as Veda Orr's was in 1940. That Bop Top looks like it grew there...
    A truly beautiful roadster. Radials look practical.

13. junk yard kid

junk yard kid

I fix things for beer in el cajon. It is probably a really easy fix once its diagnosed.

14. Hotrodstitcher

Hotrodstitcher

To set the record stright, she is my dauther and I told her the glasses were to big. She lives in San Diego and I live in Nor Cal, so it's hard for me to help. Were looking for someone in the area she can take the car to if she has a problem or for service...Thanks Guys...Sid

Attached Files:

15. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

well , on her the big glasses work , except you dont get to see her eyes .. steve

16. plan9

plan9

HotRodderDaughter - You are right, google is full of shit. I dont know anyone that would google a hot rod shop and pop in without any sort of reference... :confused:
    Thumbs up for Travis aka ZIBO, give him a try.

17. Sid, nothing like a dad's concern when their daughter leaves the nest. Been there done that. San Diego has alot of fine folks, she'll do ok.

18. Brad54

Brad54
    from Atl Ga

Well, since it's a "What could be the problem" thread, even if you're taking it to a shop (no shame in that, by the way), others can learn by reading some more about your issue.

When, SPECIFICALLY, is it stalling out? Driving down the road, sitting in traffic, etc.
    How long does it have to sit before it fires back up?

If it was the fuel filter, I don't think it'd fire up quickly... a plugged filter is a plugged filter, so if it was so restricted it died, it should be too restricted to fire right back up again.

If it is the fuel pump, engine vacuum will pull fuel through a dead pump and keep an engine running... but that requires RPM. If you're slowing down (and dropping rpm), and the fuel pump is dead, the engine won't pull fuel through the dead pump and keep itself running at low RPM.
    Typically, when that happens, people crank the engine over a bunch, it draws enough fuel, catches, and the person brings the RPM up (because our instinct is ALWAYS to bring the RPM up to get a stalled car running again), which draws fuel through the dead pump and gets you back down the road.
    Last year I drove 200 miles with a dead fuel pump... I had to keep the RPM up, and I zip-tied the choke closed to draw more vacuum through the primaries on the carb. But it worked.

Last tip would be what an old man once told me: 90-percent of fuel issues are electrical. And I have yet to prove that old guy wrong.
    Ignition coil going bad will very often act like fuel starvation issues. On Power Tour, I diagnosed a guy's "vapor lock" problem as being the brand new chrome coil. Changed to a cheap parts-store black coil, and the problem went away.

Hope all that helps.

-Brad

19. Is your engine still running the small cap/ point style distributor?

20. HotRodderDaughter

HotRodderDaughter
    from San Diego

It died while driving. Went to give it gas and there was nothing there. It's only happened two times (on the way home on my last drive in it) and after putting the car in park and restarting it, it starts RIGHT back up and works fine. Hope this explaination helps!

21. HotRodderDaughter

HotRodderDaughter
    from San Diego

Thank you! I couldn't agree more!

22. wheeler.t

wheeler.t

I know we've established that it is most likely a fuel issue, but I wouldn't rule out an ignition switch either.
    I had an off topic car that did the same thing, changed pump, filter and ignition switch and didn't do it again, then sold it. Never heard back from the guy either.

23. solidaxle

solidaxle
    from Upstate,NY

You need three basic things to check for a motor to run is Fuel, ignition, and compression If you have all three then check timing. Does it have points?
    My 1961 283 was quiting on me once found the ignition switch connections were loose. It would start but not keep running.

24. jazz1

jazz1

My truck was doing something similar this summer.. It was the connection plug on distributor. With the engine running I could wiggle the plug a bit and the engine would cut in and out..The female prongs had lost their "memory". I unplugged and pried the prongs together so they fit tighter. It was a matter of a cheap offshore product. The truck died numerous times, once in a funeral procession LOL,, for a week before I figured it out,,including changing the electric fuel pump

25. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

Best reply in this thread, hands down.:p

26. I would suspect since it has been running well recently that one of 2 things are probably the cause of your trouble....
    If the fuel filter is a CLEAR see thru one check to se if it is full of brown or dark looking with debris...
    then next Id say the points are burnt and need filed[nail filed] in your case=ha!
    or replaced if not responding to filing the contacts of points.....
    points will often run ok at lower RPM if burnt but when the ignition advances timing they will misfire under load explaining it stalling then restarting....
    If it has an HEI[LARGE CAP distributor or electronic in the old,I would check for loose electric connections inn the wiring or at the ignition switch....

27. HotRodderDaughter

HotRodderDaughter
    from San Diego

hahahahaha thanks.

28. HotRodderDaughter

HotRodderDaughter
    from San Diego

:) Thank you.

29. HotRodderDaughter

HotRodderDaughter
    from San Diego

Just extra large glasses! :) And thanks for the suggestion!

30. HotRodderDaughter

HotRodderDaughter
    from San Diego

Thank you TP!