Register now to get rid of these ads!

Can anyone help a girl out? :) (San Diego)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HotRodderDaughter, Feb 2, 2012.

1. HotRodderDaughter

HotRodderDaughter
    from San Diego

I have a 32 roadster with a carbureted 350 Chevy. It's been running great but lately when driving, it dies. It starts back up right away after restarting it. Is there ANYONE or anyone that KNOWS anyone in San Diego (I'm desperate!) with a shop that could help? I really need someone to take it to! Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thank you! :)

Lindsey

2. Aw Lindsey you are in San Diego .... that area is full of good shops .... you just need alittle trouble shooting done is all. Prolly something simple .... what area you in?

3. BISHOP

BISHOP

fuel filter...

4. HotRodderDaughter

HotRodderDaughter
    from San Diego

I live in Del Mar but am willing to go anywhere with a good recommendation!

5. socalmerc

socalmerc
    from socal

do you have a electric fuel pump?

6. HotRodderDaughter

HotRodderDaughter
    from San Diego

That's what I am assuming! That or the fuel line. But since I, unfortunately, lack in the mechanical department, I need help! :)

7. BISHOP

BISHOP

All you need is a screw driver. Now is the time to learn how to change a fuel filter.

8. I agree with Bishop, you should just do it yourself. I would offer to do it for you but I'm going out of town and won't be back until the 14th.

9. HotRodderDaughter

HotRodderDaughter
    from San Diego

Well, I know the fuel pump was changed to a manual one but I can't remember if the roadster has and electrical one or not. I'd have to run to the garage to check.

10. HotRodderDaughter

HotRodderDaughter
    from San Diego

Thank you for the offer!

11. HotRodderDaughter

HotRodderDaughter
    from San Diego

It's a manuel fuel pump.

12. HotRodderDaughter

HotRodderDaughter
    from San Diego

haha probably!

13. HotRodderDaughter

HotRodderDaughter
    from San Diego

In the meantime though, any suggestions are GREATLY appreciated. I'd love to have a go to shop in San Diego for any hot rod needs!

14. BISHOP

BISHOP

Your glasses are really big. Like 32 commercial big.

15. I will be in the San Diego area friday and take a look at it. if you like just PM me

16. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

If that is you in the avatar you won't have any problem getting all the help you need. :D

Don

17. hawkerdriver

hawkerdriver

My guess is fuel filter or pump. Could be carb adjustment too. Or the flux capacitor is leaking hydro polemical methane- in that case its a done deal.
    Cussing at it usually works.

18. If its a Manuel pump,have manuel replace it,,aww the things we do for good looking girls :)

19. hawkerdriver

hawkerdriver

Jeebus....those glasses ARE big.

20. ShortBus

ShortBus

Ease up guys, maybe she just has a small head..

Closest one I know is in Escondido, not really close but Randy Clark at Hot Rods & Custom Stuff is good people and runs a top-notch operation.

21. old soul

old soul
    from oswego NY

Maybe she just wants some help for once in her life with out getting hit on. So put that in your pipe and smoke it.

22. old soul

old soul
    from oswego NY

23. 53 hemi

53 hemi

Ok - let's take a breath here. I can't help with a shop in San Diego, but if you are willing to get your hands dirty I can help you troubleshoot a little.

I don't know how knowledgeable you are so don't take this oversimplification to heart.
    Engine needs three things - fuel, air, spark. We're honking to guess fuel delivery is your problem.

First replace your fuel filter. Just follow the fuel line back from your carburetor. It will usually be between the carb and fuel pump, but not always.when you find it, just replace it. Cheap insurance.

After that, with the engine off, pull the air cleaner a d look down in the carb. While looking down, work the throttle on the side of the carb. You should see two good streams of fuel shoot out.

Alls good?

Ok - now - remove the fuel line from the carb, and stick it in a coffee can. Crank the car over and see if the fuel pump is pumping gas. Just be careful here - best if you can get a helper. You don't have to crank the car much.

There's the basics - keep us informed

Good luck - it feels great to diagnose a fix a problem yourself

24. vividlyvintage

vividlyvintage

25. come on guys there has to be some hamber's in the area that can make a recommendation.
    Help this young lady out.

26. Just Googeled San Deigo hot rods. There are 5 shop's listed.

27. Harms Way

Harms Way

Yeah,.. look into the fuel filter and pump for a fuel delivery problem,.. But, right after it dies, she said it fires right back up ?,... Do you have to crank it a little ?,.. or does it just fire up normally ?

When it dies, does it act like it just got shut off,.. or does it stumble or loose power a little before it dies?

I'm no auto electrician (in fact one of my wiring jobs caught on fire once,.... :eek:,... ah,.. yeah,... Anyway !) But if it fires right up like it normally does,... I would look into the ignition system. possibly the ignition switch itself.

There's a lot of clues on exactly how it dies,.. and how it restarts.

Looked at the picture of the roadster,... Very nice Hot Rod,.. Keep us posted on progress !

Oh yeah one more thing,... and this is the Real Question,.... How on earth did Sid end up with such a good looking Daughter ? :eek:,.... That is totally amazing ! :D:D

Last edited: Feb 3, 2012
  28. mdub

mdub

Can you tell if its running rich? I had a problem with the float on my carb's secondary sticking open, the fuel was pouring right in, flooded it once it warmed up.

29. jerry

jerry

You might try the Jalopy Shoppe in Escondido. 760 740 2421

jerry

30. Clik

Clik

When it is idling, what RPM is it idling at? I'm assuming you have a tachometer and can read it with those REALLY BIG GLASSES :D.

All kidding aside (for now), the reason I asked is that you may just need to turn the idle up a bit. A lot of hot rods have high performance cams and run rough at low idle.

As you manually work the linkage coming from the pedal to the carb you will notice that in the relaxed position the linkage bumps up against a screw. If you turn that screw in just a little it will push on your linkage and raise the idle speed.

Don't raise it so much that the car slams in gear (automatic) or runs away with ya when you let out the clutch (manual trans).

Whatever the problem that two minute adjustment should help get you to a shop without getting creamed in the middle of an intersection.

In addition to what others have hypothesized, I'm thinking stale fuel. These newer EPA mandated fuel blends can't sit long.

Good luck Goggles :eek: ;).