Register now to get rid of these ads!

how do you maintain your flat paint job

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by harley rider, Feb 1, 2012.

1. harley rider

harley rider

Awesome I'll look for it.

2. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Yeah, I know some people think every hot rod should be shiny, but I wouldn't change my satin black 27 if someone offered me a free $10,000 paint job, it looks just the way I want it to. I get more positive comments on it than any shiny car I have owned.

Now, as for care, they DO require more care than shiny paint, especially stuff like gasoline spills, but I have learned to work with mine and now know how to prevent problems. First of all, I wash it with car soap that has NO wax in it, or a mild solution of Dawn dish detergent. Then I blow it off and use a chamois to dry it. For quick cleanups I use Mothers Detailer and a microfiber cloth, it does great.

Finally, someone on here posted that they use Mequires Tech 2000 wax on theirs and I tried it. The stuff is amazing. You put it on and IMMEDIATELY wipe it back off with a microfiber cloth, do not let it dry or you will get streaking and shine. It does not make the paint shine more, just makes it look like the day you sprayed it. It also gives some protection when fueling up, I have gotten a drop of gas on the paint occasionally and it wipes right off with Mothers Detailer because the wax protects it somewhat from the gas.

Advance Auto and Autozone carry the Tech 2000 wax, about $ 20 and it lasts a long time. I only did mine once about a year ago and it is still holding up.

Don

[​IMG]

3. harley rider

harley rider

thanks for all the great tips.

4. I wash it all over at a self-serve spray car wash, soap then rinse. Wipe down the windows and chrome with a towel and head down the hiway at 70mph to dry her off. Cost, one dollar.

5. harley rider

harley rider

well that sounds easy enough.

6. Bull

Bull

I've mentioned this product in other threads -- as have other HAMBers, but we have just what you need to care for your flat/matte finishes. Our Wipe Down product is a quick detail spray that won't add a gloss to your flat/matte finish.
    [​IMG]
    http://www.wizardsproducts.com/store/product.php?productid=12&cat=0&page=1
    And be sure to use coupon code HAMB15 for 15% off of your order!

7. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

Does anyone else think it's creepy that blood stains are his #1 criteria for buying this stuff?

8. "It caught my eye years ago as the label says it removes blood stains."

:eek:

9. harley rider

harley rider

thanks for the link i'll checkit out.

10. Trigger

Trigger
    from Oregon

Don's does you T have a satin clear coat on it?

11. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

No, it is just SEM Hot Rod Black, single stage but catylized with hardener. It comes in a kit for $ 70 that gives you a quart and a half of sprayable product. You get the paint, reducer, and hardener in the box. Easy to spray and so far it is holding up well.

We did another project a few years ago with matte finish clear coat and for us it was inconsistent, some areas shinier than others and cloudy. But that may just be because I am not a great painter.

Don

12. Trigger

Trigger
    from Oregon

Thanks for the quick response Don.

Not to hi-jack the thread but I have a satin clear coat and wondering what my best options are. Sounds like the dawn and pledge may be a good way to go.

13. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That's the truth...you tell 'em, Randy.

And who says "flat black was never a finish"? I say it was...due to necessity or choice. I remember plenty of 'em. Looks tough IMO. Makes fixing stone-chips and other damage easy and inexpensive too.

Don, your roadster looks great.

You'd be surprised how wet-sanding and buffing can spruce up a flat finish...and some sort of wax or protective coating, as some of you have shared. Helps with cleanup too.

14. unkledaddy

unkledaddy

It's all about Plavix sonny!!

15. Dan in Pasadena

Dan in Pasadena

Just looked it up; THIS the kit?:

http://www.autobodytoolmart.com/sem-hot-rod-black-kit-hr010-p-15321.aspx

I know zilch, zero, squat about painting....but I'm thinking of trying it anyway on my '55 Chevy truck. I'd be doing the "piece-at-a-time" method as I repair minor rust damage. Yeah, I know:
    Use products from the same manufacturer throughout
    Follow instructions exactly
    Have a big air compressor & dry the air REALLY well.
    I bought an inexpensive HVLP gun set....

but I have questions:

This website doesn't list other colors than hot rod black - which I like - but was thinking of a flat or semi in medium green. The site lists the paint types below.
    Notice it doesn't list SEM though they obviously carry it. Does SEM fall under one of these types/manufacturers and I'm too lame to find it?

Anyone have a link or have a recommendation for an Idiot's Guide to DIY Paint Jobs?

16. harley rider

harley rider

17. n847

n847

HA HA I should be paying attention to this till I'm ready to paint my car (its ox blood not black) but I just rub it down with a 3M scotchbrite pad, and a wet t-shirt, I call it hillbilly waxing! My wife thinks I'm a morron!

18. yep, furniture polish and or WD-40. When mine has set outside and gets little gray spots from rain, I found that waxing it with Zymol takes out the light spots in the paint... makes it more of a semi gloss but it soon dulls back out...

19. Dan in Pasadena

Dan in Pasadena

Funny you mention TCP Global. The set of HVLP guns I bought were from them...kinda. I found THIS set in perfect condition at an outlet for $50.

http://www.tcpglobal.com/spraygundepot/tcpgate.aspx

I couldn't pass it up even though I've never painted a damn thing other than with rattle cans. I figured, "I'll figure it out and if I don't, I'll sand it off!". Everybody who does it had to learn it sometime.

20. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Yes, that is the kit. I hear they just came out with grey and white too. Wish they had red, I want to paint my new project rpu faded red.

Don

21. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

On my Krylon semi gloss paint job I used Lysol Foaming Bubbles bathroom tile cleaner. Has a slight abrasive in it which really makes the paint pop. Spray it on wipe it off, don't let it dry.

22. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

Actually, a GREAT question and thread. I think it should be labeled a TECH thread, 'cause there are LOTS of old HAMBers who remember FLAT BLACK being TRAD!

But I always had problems with streaking, etc., trying to strike a balance between keeping the car clean & maintaining the paint, on ONE hand, and using WAX which just negates the flat effect, ya know?

I'm dealing with it on an OT Merc hood as we speak. Knowing the effects of wax, I searched for "satin" (aka semi-gloss). It looks nice, bu it sure ain't FLAT BLACK.

So, THANKS, a50Merc & VonRiggFink.

23. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

Dana, you are right: Flat anything is a PRIMER, not a final finish.

But that point begs the issue that TRAD hotrodders kept their rods in primer until the (hopefully) day when all the mechanicals and bodywork were FINALLY done. THEN, ya finally got to water-sand the whole things and put a "final" paint job on it, ya know?

It's what guys back-when did to make their cars look as good as possible while still projects -- YET still driveable. We worked with what we had. And guys who were in the same financial straights would give you the thumbs-up when you went by.

24. Dan in Pasadena

Dan in Pasadena

25. The whole point of flat is no maintence.

Last flat paint I had I maintained ( if you can call it that) with formula 409. Good spritzing and a good rinsing was all it took.

26. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

LOL. Good'n there, Benno!

27. Trigger

Trigger
    from Oregon

I was able to find this at the dollar store by my work. It got all the blood of my Model A!

Joking aside, I was impressed with it. I also used it in the engine bay with good results. Thank you for the reccomendation.

28. cru_zn_29

cru_zn_29

I have used Rust-Oleum satin black for years. It holds up very well in the engine compartment and on frames and suspension. 8-9 dollars a quart is cheap. The last time i picked up some at Home Depot the paint guy told me he can tint the satin white to the color i need. I live in Socal and the weather has distroyed the basecoat-clearcoat on my 66 chevy pu that i sprayed in 1995. The satin black i used on the bed strips is still there. Thats my 2cents.

29. Read this thread from front to back..the guy was asking about maintaining "FLAT black". Maintainence if flat VS semi flat is totally different. If the paint [primer] is really flat, you don't want any pledge, WD-40 or any other wax to foul the flat finish!
    I've had dozens or flat black cars/pickups and I've found the very best way to maintain that flat finish if to start by laying the primer on thick...maybe 3 coats or more. I always used my rainbow vacuum cleaner...the ultimate in HVLP spary outfits! Also it's all I could afford. Lay it on thick because the maintainence is to
    1...scrub the finish with a good dishwashing soap...and a scrub brush on the really dirty parts....
    2...go over it with scotchbrite pads..
    3...wash it again. No brushes should be required this time. YOu're just removing the scotchbrite/chalky paint residue.
    4...take it out on the hiway to "blow-dry" it.
    It'll hold up until the sun makes the black look gray again. A few months.
    5...Repeat maintainence procedure.
    When the finish gets thin, repaint.
    PS....works on gray and tinted primers too

Attached Files:

30. jazz1

jazz1

I'm in the process of shooting my '41 int'l with TREME tm Flat Clear to protect the Flatz paint which is a cheap single stage paint with poor durability.. I shot another truck with Lessonal basecoat and left it like that,,no clear so it appeared to be a dulled original finish,,pic is in my album,,a 79ford pu,,and the Lessonal is very tough durable finish