Register now to get rid of these ads!

American Graffiti Coupe Pictures and Myths

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Graffiti32, Jan 28, 2012.

1. Thanks, isettajohn. Looks much better than my original!

2. JCW2110

JCW2110

Great job on the website and research Jeff! The Milner coupe is the car that got me into hotrods long ago..... I can't imagine the hot rod world without it.

3. Graffiti32

Graffiti32
    from Illinois

JC
    Thanks I know you know Graffiti but as I sit here and read some of the other posters I can tell the young jedi here need training.

XERB likes this.
  4. Graffiti32

Graffiti32
    from Illinois

5. Graffiti32

Graffiti32
    from Illinois

NOT ENOUGH!! Could you take that carpet out? Nice now I have to install red carpet in my car??? Great! one more thing I will have to explain when sombody see's my car!!!:eek:

6. pont406

pont406

I guess that might back up the story that i heard that the car was red, with red/white tuck-n-roll interior? they dyed the seat, door panels, and painted dash black, wouldn't see the carpet so they left it alone!;)

7. Harms Way

Harms Way

Or,... Carol was drinking red pop and not a 10 cent Coke with lots of Ice. :D

8. Some great information and knowledge here.

9. norton58

norton58

I've never understood why 'purists hate the car' (to quote an earlier article) I've always thought it screams hot rod!

Graffiti32 likes this.
  10. M.Edell

M.Edell

Im fortunate enough to know Rick who lives right across the Bay from me.In 1993 he called me to come over to Mels in SF because the NBC Today Show was doing a 20th anniversary piece about the movie.He introduced me to Wolfman Jack and I got to sit inside the car.One of the most memorable days.

Graffiti32 and XERB like this.
  11. TSKieffer

TSKieffer

This is what I believe is the "real" inspiration" of the '32 "Milner" Coupe...

Attached Files:

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  12. Harms Way

Harms Way

I remember reading about this possibly being the inspiration for the AG coupe,. And it's chopped and channeled ,.... But what is the history behind this car?,.. And is it confirmed ? What engine is it running ?

The Deuce in the Book/Script says it was Hemi powered, wasn't there a thread on this Deuce before ?

13. One of my favorites when I lived up in Seattle. Where is it now? What is the history?

14. Cool site! I enjoyed my visit. :)

15. Curly Hand

Curly Hand
    from Tucson

I just watched the YouTube interview with Mr. LeMat. I was shocked to learn he only made $3600! That guy deserves more. Lucas, or the studio, should hook him up with a percentage of the film. After all he was the best part of the film!

16. 40FordDeluxe

40FordDeluxe

Great thread on 2 Hot Rod Icons. My friend's Dad has a replica of the 55. He purchased it at a Mecham auction last spring.

17. Rocky Famoso

Rocky Famoso
    BANNED

Greatest teenage cultural film of all time!

18. Graffiti32

Graffiti32
    from Illinois

Blog Update.
    HAMBers take over All Graffit All The Time.

19. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

I was trying to find american graffiti on netflix and all they had was the second one, which I had never seen. Talk about unwatchable...

20. 60 ford

60 ford

Cool site, Thanks for taking the time to set it up.

21. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

I was trying to find american graffiti on netflix and all they had was the second one, which I had never seen. Talk about unwatchable...

22. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

I read where Harrison Ford got $500 a week for AG. Does anyone know how long it took to film? It might explain the small saleries. Plus, we should consider that, other than Ron Howard, most of the actors were little known bit players. $500 for a weeks work would be about right and it was the early 70's.

23. TheDozer

TheDozer

The first time I saw AG was in the early 80s, I was just a kid, but it's the movie that's responsible for me falling in love with 55 chevy shoebox's, still love em to this day, it's the quintessential car movie

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

24. Zookeeper

Zookeeper

I saw an interview with Harrison Ford, and I think he (and the other actors) got paid union scale, which was something like a couple hundred bucks a week. It was so little that Ford was gonna pass on his role because he actually was making more as a cabinet maker at the time, so Lucas bumped his pay up an extra $25 a week. I also remember Candy Clark saying they got a percentage of the film, something like 1/10 of 1%, which might be a fair chunk of change in royalties.

25. JCW2110

JCW2110

I also heard that the reason Harrison Ford wore a cowboy hat was because he didn't want to cut his hair for the role. He was affraid he would miss out on other movie roles after filming Graffiti.

26. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

Those shots of the Universal Garage are so very cool! Thank you for sharing them with us. I have never seen the inside condition of that coupe, I don't feel so bad about mine after seeing that one now. Still a very iconic car then and now.

27. brianj

brianj

It was this movie that made me fall in love with 55 chevys- It is the one car I swear I will own before I die. Of course, with the money they are going for these days, I would probably die five seconds after my wife found out how much I spent-----

28. wally95

wally95
    from Boone Iowa

Two Lane Blacktop.jpg (213.3 KB)

Attached Files:

29. sliderule67

sliderule67
    from Houston

"Rock and Roll has been going downhill ever since Buddy Holley died".

February 3, 1969. Clear Lake, Iowa. Some of us are old enough to remember................slide

30. wally95

wally95
    from Boone Iowa

Attached Files: