Register now to get rid of these ads!

Help Identify this Shoebox's model name.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by grf-x, Jan 18, 2012.

1. grf-x

grf-x

Hello fello H.A.M.B.ers,

I have not posted in a long time, but I have been reading and researching a lot here. Getting my feet wet with the vast knowledge here. Well now I have to jump in... I just purchased my first classic since my 66 mustang, but I need help identifying the model name.

This much i know. It is a 1951 ford four door shoebox. I do not have the car or title in hand. We wrote and signed and purchase agreement, I paid a deposit, and the car and title are to be deliver this friday. In the mean time I am try to research and buy parts i know it needs.

Can you help? (stupid question, i give it 5 minutes before the mystery is solved).

Attached Files:

2. eaglebeak

eaglebeak

1951 Ford......CUSTOM

3. grf-x

grf-x

Eaglebeak Thanks for the reply. Can you tell me how you made this determination. I have seen that model name, but I don't know what makes it a Custom (assuming you really mean custom and not "kustom")

Thanks

4. Google image search for 51 Ford Custom Victoria and found this one.

[​IMG]

5. eaglebeak

eaglebeak

The green car is not a CUSTOM VICTORIA, it is a CUSTOM.
    Victoria was the two door hardtop.
    The chrome trim on the black one shows it to be CUSTOM.

6. eaglebeak

eaglebeak

7. eaglebeak

eaglebeak

8. grf-x

grf-x

Now I am really confused. but maybe that is the way it is supposed to be. This picture's caption on the original website say "1951 Ford Custom Fordor". Is that the same as what you saying? So when I am shoping for parts i can just select "custom" on the drop down menu for model and don't let fordor confuse me any more than I already am?

http://oldcarandtruckpictures.com/Ford/1951_Ford_Custom_Fordor-black-fVl=mx=.jpg

9. eaglebeak

eaglebeak

Yes, you are correct.
    You can look for 1951 Ford Custom, two door or four door.
    The only difference in trim is the length of the doors.
    '51 Ford trim goes all around the rear, under the trunk lid.
    '49 and '50 did not.
    '51 Ford dash is different from '49 and '50.

10. eaglebeak

eaglebeak

Also, all other parts will interchange.

11. Custom is the model designation.

Four door is the body style.

Some parts are the same for both 2 and 4 door body styles.....but...
    some other parts are body style speific.

12. grf-x

grf-x

Thanks to all of you for you help. No all I have to do os figure out the displacement of the flat head v8 in this custom. That can wait till i get the car and title.

I think i got real lucky on the price for the condition this car is in.

Thanks again for all you help.

13. eaglebeak

eaglebeak

239 cubic inches if stock.

14. grf-x

grf-x

Cool. Engine turns over and fires up if you tease the carb with some juic-a-line. So I just have the troubleshoot why the fuel is not getting to where is needs too. Then I can drive it around until i decide what direction i want to go with fixing her up. I wanna replace the mechanical FP with and electric. Father in law has a restored 39 ford and suffer vapor lock ALOT! Plus my barber convinced me to switch as well he has an earlier 2dr shoebox.

15. Looks like a nice solid car.

Beyond obvious fuel pump issues, if your car has been sitting for awhile the tank and fuel lines might have rust/dirt/varnish in them. Splice a generic see-through fuel filter into the line that runs between your fuel pump and your carb so you can see if there's crap coming through the lines. You might want to replace your fuel lines anyway, and look into replacing your stock gas tank with a Mustang or Falcon tank. Easy swap.

16. 29AV8

29AV8

Custom.. I have the same car.most people dont like fordors. but I beleive fordors will be the next thing. They can be had cheaper than coupes. besides the whole family can hang an arm out a window......

17. 29AV8

29AV8

also 49 and 50 trunk hinges are on the outside...........

18. Door handles are different, parking lights are different between all 3 years etc. There are a bunch of subtle differences between the years, but most of the big chunks are interchangeable.

19. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The entry models were called 'Deluxes" and were missing all of the stainless side trim. They had a "Rocket-shaped" emblem with the word "Deluxe" mounted on the front fender, a little higfher than the "Custom" emblem". They could be had in two doors, four doors, and business coupes.

20. squirrel

squirrel

They already are, among those who can't afford tudors