Register now to get rid of these ads!

American Graffiti Coupe Pictures and Myths

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Graffiti32, Jan 28, 2012.

1. Graffiti32

Graffiti32
    from Illinois

COME ON GUYS!! ENOUGH ALREADY The Coupe wasn't from space!!!
    buuuttttttt.............

Attached Files:

2. Graffiti32

Graffiti32
    from Illinois

Ruth is "The Man" for 55 info. He built them. I don't think he ever touched the 32? :)owould have been faster!:eek:)

3. Graffiti32

Graffiti32
    from Illinois

As much as I would love to say yes. ???????????? Frenched handles?? Note no lock cyl hole and no decklid handle. The chop is close........ The cowl almost looks pinched? Could be the angle?? Something?? :confused::confused:

Attached Files:

4. Great Blog,

Great to hear the real stories behind some of the iconic cars in our time.
    Milner's Coupe & Falfa's 55, some of my all time favourites..

Thanks for sharing..

5. Harms Way

Harms Way

However,... There were two red 32 Coupes riding around "nearly identical" And the other one "had Chevy tail lights",...... Andy Southard took pictures of both cars,.... I would love to see the pictures of the other car.

Andy's picture archives might hold the key,... or not. Either way, it would be fun to find out, and possibly put this rumor to bed,...or ?

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  6. 6t5frlane

6t5frlane
    from New York

Is that piss yellow?

That's Tony Danza yellow![/QUOTE]

Kinda looks like one of those Legend race cars that got a little fat.....

7. I never get tired of anything related to AG or TLB. I am suprised that no one has published a book of pictures and what is known about the cars of AG.

Attached Files:

9. Tripple G

Tripple G

Have to agree with Harms Way & Acey Deucey. I'm one who can't get enough Milner's Coupe, American Graffiti, etc.:cool: Thanks for sharing. GGG

10. Graffiti32

Graffiti32
    from Illinois

Yes it is an interesting thought. When I called Gary Kurtz he told me he thought they bough the coupe in Compton California. Anybody remember a Red 5 window fullfendered car in the Compton area in 70/71 ???

Ya I know Gary Kurtz. I have been hunting the real story's for quite some time. Gary is a real nice guy. He lives in England I believe. He was thrown off a bit by some American Graffiti nut calling him on his cell phone from Chicago Illinois as he was heading out for dinner.

He did spend a few minutes and fill me in on what he could remember. That was a while ago. I can't find that number now.

XERB likes this.
  11. shoprat

shoprat
    Member Emeritus
    from Orange, CA

I used to see the coupe often when I worked at Universal. It was parked in the transportation garage for a long time. Transportation was moved and I didn't see
    it anymore. Never thought much of it as I had a chopped 32 of my own Olds powered
    La Salle box etc. Had mine since early 60's.
    I went to work at Uni about 1978 and it was there then.

12. OlDawg

OlDawg

Me too!! My wife and I went to see the movie on our first date ad we've been married over 37 years now!

JimSibley likes this.
  13. Wat_Tyler

Wat_Tyler
    from right here

Wow, all the wives and first dates at this iconic film.

Well, me too, but we've been divorced since forever - and she got the rides at the time, a '48 Ford F1, and the '49 Packard sedan which went to pay for it all. :(

Live and learn, I reckon.

14. Baron

Baron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

15. I worked for a title company in the mid '70s at the front of the Universal Studios lot. We had to park in the back and took the shuttle through Universal to our company up front. One time the driver of the shuttle took me in the big garage so I could see the coupe. Also saw the merc and the car from "The Car". I'll try to dig up the photos and post them.

16. Found 'em! Sorry about the poor quality but what do you expect from a Kodak Instamatic from the mid '70s?

Attached Files:

• AG10.JPG
      AG10.JPG
      File size:
      75.4 KB
      Views:
    • AG1.JPG
      AG1.JPG
      File size:
      16.7 KB
      Views:
    • AG2.JPG
      AG2.JPG
      File size:
      28.2 KB
      Views:
    • AG3.JPG
      AG3.JPG
      File size:
      37.5 KB
      Views:
    • AG4.JPG
      AG4.JPG
      File size:
      49.4 KB
      Views:
    • AG5.JPG
      AG5.JPG
      File size:
      53.6 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2012
    kidcampbell71 and XERB like this.
  17. Here's the rest. That's me in the yellow shirt and yes, those are puka shells! I had hair back then, too. :rolleyes:

Attached Files:

• AG8.JPG
      AG8.JPG
      File size:
      50.7 KB
      Views:
    • AG9.JPG
      AG9.JPG
      File size:
      31.4 KB
      Views:
    • AG6.JPG
      AG6.JPG
      File size:
      39.7 KB
      Views:
    • AG7.JPG
      AG7.JPG
      File size:
      30.2 KB
      Views:
  18. Russco

Russco
    from Central IL

^^^^^ cool pics

19. docmike

docmike

I've been an AG fan from the first time I saw it in the theater. I'm loving all the stories about these cars. Growing up in northern Illinois in the 70's I never had the chance to ever see any of these movie cars in person but, they still made a huge impression on me. I've been a gearhead all my life and I love everything automotive but, thanks to this movie, '32 5 windows and '55 Chevys are two of my all time favorite cars.

Doc

Last edited: Feb 1, 2012
  20. Baron

Baron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Those are some great pictures to have 60Olds98 ( and great memories for sure).Thanks for posting them.
    Must have been in the late seventie's I was on vacation in CA and one of the things I was really looking forward to was seeing the Coupe at Universal Studio. A friend had been out a few months before and took pics of the car to show me. When I got there , I walked all around looking for the cars. Finally I asked someone who worked there where they were parked. He told me they had just removed them a couple of weeks ago and were put away in some storage garage.
    Boy, was I disappointed. :(

21. Hello Marshall, It's me, Mark (from Station Wagons) didn't know you posted here!

22. Torchie

Torchie

I always loved AG as I was in High school when it came out. I had a bunch of old cars and suddenly I went from being the "odd kid" who dug old cars to being a "hot rodder".Wow.
    The irony for me was that about two years later I picked up a 32 5 window project car that sat on original duece rails that had been z'ed at the rear. The body was chopped and then channeled the width of the frame rail. Plus it was set up to run a Flattie.(I was very ahead of my time) and had 40 juice brakes,dropped front axle,etc.Most likely all done in the early 60"s
    Unfortunately the time came when I had to sell the car. The guy that bought it told me that he was going to "make the car look like a real hot rod" just like the one that was in AG. I still have nightmares about that.
    Karl.

23. Rice n Beans Garage

Rice n Beans Garage

Do you remember a Terry Coates that worked there, he brought the Merc and semi restored it as a driver

24. taking some of the red out of them...

Attached Files:

• AG6.JPG
      AG6.JPG
      File size:
      167.8 KB
      Views:
    • AG5.JPG
      AG5.JPG
      File size:
      190.2 KB
      Views:
    • AG4.JPG
      AG4.JPG
      File size:
      184.5 KB
      Views:
    • AG2.JPG
      AG2.JPG
      File size:
      131.2 KB
      Views:
  25. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

What a great story and pictures of you being able to see the coupe when it was in storage like that. The one picture might lend credance to the story about the new owner finding the shift knob and license plate in the side pocket of the car. The knob is missing in this picture and it looks like the plates have been removed in the other shots.

Don

[​IMG]

26. milner3268

milner3268
    from buffalo NY

I have heard for years the interior trim is unknown ,so im sorry if this has been covered before but im 99.9% sure its 1956 ford front door panel stainless upside down and reversed left on right ,right on left.

27. That interior shot I guess clears up the mystery about a radio in the dash.

28. evs1

evs1

And the missing gauge that was in a previous picture. Also, I see no glove box, remember "File this under CS" and it showed a whole glove box full of tickets?

29. rrbrucea

rrbrucea

That was in the pocket on the right door shown in his photo...

30. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida