Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rod Magazine DVD BS

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Chucky, Jan 31, 2012.

1. I have a hard time reading that POS magazine anymore and can't wait until my subscription is done. First they put that gay 8.5 "certified" train wreck on the cover and say "no boring cars". To each his own, but was I the only one who noticed that the dude painted his rear centerline wheels to look like ET 5 windows? That's about as cool as the "chevy to hemi in 30 seconds" thread on a previous "tech week". The next thing they do is get rid of the "letters to the editor" so we can't even complain anymore? And finally today they send me a DVfuckinD with one of those forms that say "check this box" and mail it back if you don't want it. HEY HOT ROD - FU. I didn't want it, nor do I want to send it back to you! So HAMB moderators, before you delete my obnoxious rant - please let the people speak. What are my rights? I thought they couldn't do that, it's so annoying. Can I just throw that thing in the trash? What if they bill me? And on a final note, I hope the Jalopy Journal NEVER stoops to these levels.........:eek:

2. tjm73

tjm73

3. henry29

henry29

I got a dvd over a year ago. I didn't want it, or ask for it and I didn't send it back.
    I just throw everything away they send me.

4. mammyjammer

mammyjammer
    from Area 51

I kept my DVD too ....and ignored all of their letters asking for payment.

5. I chucked the DVD......I chuck the magazine too after looking at it for 5 minutes. What a waste of paper...

6. northerndave

northerndave
    from Badger MN

I stopped subscribing to hot rod many years ago when they pulled this crap.

I kept the dvd and canceled my subscription.

It really pissed me off too, I still wont buy that rag.

7. Mostly Advertizing ,,, Very little content

8. northerndave

northerndave
    from Badger MN

I remember I was so mad I was going to shit in a box and mail it to them with the same kind of instructions.

"either keep my shit that you didn't want or ask for and pay me for it, or mail it back to me."

My wife kind of put her foot down on that whole plan...

9. deto

deto

Yeah get that terrible magazine off the rack so we can have more room for "Donk Magazine". Crazy ass HOTROD trying to appeal to their very broad target market. What a bunch of assholes.

10. One time I fell for that "Send a free subscription to a friend" BS. They sent him so much shit mail, DVD's that he had to send back, and all that - I felt so bad, I thought I was giving him a gift.....Live and learn, Thanks guys. Shame on you FriedBurger!

11. I posted this hoping it would also be entertaining - but I never dreamed of a "shit in a box!" That should have happened! Wow........

12. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Jeez, just throw the damned thing away! That's what most folks do with shit they don't want.

13. northerndave

northerndave
    from Badger MN

It wasn't a free gift, they wanted you to pay for the DVD that they decided you needed to have. They wanted you to pay for it or mail it back to them.

That's what ticked everybody off.

14. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

So, if he doesn't send it back the Hot Rod Magazine nazis will come and get him? I don't think so.

15. BERNIES WELDING

BERNIES WELDING

i agree.....

freiburger has destroyed what used to be a good magazine. it all started when it went under a big corporate umbrella and all they want is money and the articles are garbage.

when wally parks and pete peterson were running it in the beginning that was awsome. i guess it is like everything else including our government and the way things are done,

GONE TO SHIT WITH OUT THE HAND BASKET...................

this is my opnion

16. northerndave

northerndave
    from Badger MN

No, definately not.

What made me mad was the idea of how many people fell for it and so submissively either sent hot rod money for something they didn't order, or wasted their time mailing it back to them because they thought they might "get in trouble" if they didn't.

17. slammed

slammed

Where it all began.......and ended. Zombie and Coonan have it down.

18. I generally do not fall for any bait and switch or promo deals. With that said:

IMO, EVERY mag goes through CRAPPY cycles. Maybe I just loose interest, or the latest trend isnt me, but just about the time I write 'em off, a better issue or 5 renew my interest and reading until the next cycle. So I keep the "rags" subscribed at the cheapest sub rates, discard, or give them away the crap. My cost for a year's subcription equals the two magazines I would have purchased anyway.

Traditonal Rod and Kulture is the acception to the rule; every issue rocks!

19. moefuzz

moefuzz

I just came here to see Tfeverfred's tits

20. squirrel

squirrel

So...are you saying that Freiburger is the guy who sold the magazine to the big corporation?

He has no control over what the marketing people do. He's just the editor.

21. redlinetoys

redlinetoys
    from Midwest

This rant about Hot Rod is pretty ridiculous in my opinion...

You can catch a subscription on sale occasionally for something like 36 issues for about 10-15 bucks. For basically the cost of one pizza buffet lunch, that is a lot of reading material.

I like the fact that there is a fair amount of variety in the magazine. Could be worse. You could be reading about vans, VWs and go karts. Now that would be just like the old days!

22. rivguy

rivguy

When Freiburger was the editor of Car Craft I really enjoyed the mag. It had a real hands on, low buck vibe. I felt that he brought it back to it's roots. He climbed the corporate ladder and Primemedia wanted him to work miracles with all their titles. I think that Hot Rod has lost it's way because it wants to cover all aspects of the auto scene. Let's face it their is a very niche oriented approach to mags and for a good reason. Car guys only like their own scene. Muscle car guys don't want to see traditional rods and customs. Late model guys aren't interested in 57 Chevys. I used to subscribe to HR back in the late 60s to 70s. I didn't think it was that great then but it was one of the only games in town. I have collection of HR from the 60s on. They used to feature mini bikes and go karts for Christ sake! They had motorcycles,boats, and 4 wheelers too. Too many choices to put up with that now. Maybe it's outlived it's usefulness.

23. El Caballo

El Caballo
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hot Rod was my first subscription to any magazine with my Nov 1979 issue being the first one, I still have it somewhere. Grey Baskerville was a hero to me at the time. I met him at a Power Tour in the late-90's before he died. I have some fond memories of the magazine, but it no longer reflects my taste in cars so I don't buy it, simple as that. Its sort of like an old friend that you had, he's gone bonkers and tried to molest a collie so you don't hang out with him anymore.

24. TaylorCrawford

TaylorCrawford

Ha....I got that shit today. Im keepin it 'cus Im a mo'fuckin pirate.

25. hemi

hemi

Lol... Well in six months you will notice that Kent hasnt worked for R&K..... for six months. Look for him in other fine publications that you might be currently purchasing. :p

26. wetatt4u

wetatt4u

Strap that DVD to one single BRICK wrapped in plain brown paper and mail it back to them ..

It is postage paid returns (BY THEM)

That will get their attention !

27. scotts52

scotts52

lol

28. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

That was pretty bad. Yes.

Only, the thread wasn't deleted. It was closed... because it turned into something similar to this very thread.

And Zombie handled that whole deal pretty well and, as I understand it, to the degree the actual offended wanted it handled.

I guess I don't understand your role in all of this?

Oh... and the Hot Rod Magazine DVD scam? Source Interlink has been doing that with all of their brands for years. I got one from R&C a few years ago. Just trash it.

29. northerndave

northerndave
    from Badger MN

Coffee out my nose dude... LMAO!!

:D