Register now to get rid of these ads!

64 galaxie help please.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by northerndave, Jan 26, 2012.

1. SOHC427

SOHC427

There are a few AZ guys parting 64's. Try to get whole quarters, if possible.
    Please save the old girl, they are really fun, and nice cars.
    Eric

2. TANNERGANG

TANNERGANG
    BANNED
    from alabama

Here's mine......I need a driver side sunvisor arm....here's the part numbers on it:

H 30003
    C3AB
    7604123-B

Attached Files:

3. northerndave

northerndave
    from Badger MN

4. EXracer64

EXracer64
    from nj

Do something soon, i can hardly stand the site of that old gal sitting in the dirt like that. Like mentioned, the 4 speeds go for real good money and are sought after and are rare. I wish mine had a 4 speed, will have a 5 speed one day.

5. EXracer64

EXracer64
    from nj

Some more insperation for you:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. northerndave

northerndave
    from Badger MN

God they are beautiful cars arent they?

I think I'll go out and snap a couple pics of the crap i have to deal with on mine so I can show you guys.

7. hvywrench

hvywrench
    from N.W. Conn.

Northerndave....don't be so quick to call that a POS.....
    I know a guy (me) that has one WAY rougher than that and is happy
    to have it! That looks like a really good start to a nice build.

8. northerndave

northerndave
    from Badger MN

think you are seeing "curb appeal" lol!!Here's the truth.

[​IMG]

trunk floor..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

see the 2 ply quarter panel? white under red with rust and bondo inbetween.

[​IMG]

gangsta wheel...

[​IMG]

floor decay

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 30, 2012
  9. northerndave

northerndave
    from Badger MN

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I do have the original radio so that's cool.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

holes drilled in the air cleaner, that's quite a "hop up" I call them "speed holes" lol!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

trunk floor in my parts car.

[​IMG]

spare radio, sweet!

[​IMG]

parts car trunk has more typical rust.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

more of the parts car.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. hvywrench

hvywrench
    from N.W. Conn.

Ahhhh, I see what you mean.
    All the sheet metal to fix that is out there, big question, I guess, is what sort of condition is the frame in? That could be the deciding factor in a resto.
    Not a project for the faint of heart for sure. And mine isn't/wasn't that bad...but the rear bumper was worse!
    If you have the original engine and trans in it, that helps.

11. northerndave

northerndave
    from Badger MN

Well, if the frame is bad on the xl, I suppose I could use the one from the 4 door parts car.

Kind of looks like the original color might have been white on the 500XL

12. hvywrench

hvywrench
    from N.W. Conn.

Seems to me, and I'm certainly no expert in these things, that there is enough stuff on the XL to make it worth repairing, if not to you, then to someone.
    Having your own parts car for the little stuff is really handy and is a definite plus.
    If you decide to pass on the project and part it out, I would be interested in talking about the console with you.
    That level of rust repair is a big challenge, but the stuff is available if you have the room to work on it. Having a shop do it would be very spendy.
    I hate to let go of anything so I understand where you're coming from.

13. northerndave

northerndave
    from Badger MN

Well it has a few projects ahead of it but it is back on the project list. And by the time I get around to it there will likely be even more parts available for it.

14. hvywrench

hvywrench
    from N.W. Conn.

I think you're right, I've been getting Galaxie catalogs from lots of different vendors for a lot of years and they seem to grow a few pages every year or so.
    Totally unrelated but I've got a really good friends from the Antarctic days that live in the Babbitt/Ely area, other MN towns; Detroit Lakes, Dent....all rock solid individuals

15. EXracer64

EXracer64
    from nj

Definatly got alot on your hands. But she can be a beauty once again.

Is one of those am radios for sale if they work?

16. northerndave

northerndave
    from Badger MN

I took my gun safety course in babbit when I was 12 or 13 (82 or 83)

We frequent Ely as i take my kids on a BWCA trip every summer, I went to the Tower high school for a few years (just down the road from Ely)

i've got friends & fam in all of these areas except Dent, but I've been through there.

:D

Could be I suppose, especially if it helps another HAMB'er out.

17. von zipper

von zipper

Look at my avatar for more insperation! They are great cars!

18. northerndave

northerndave
    from Badger MN

That's sweet, I'm thinking mine is supposed to be white with red interior. I'm unsure on my vinyl top (currently black) seems it would maybe be out of place with the white body and red interior, hard to say.

I know I could tell on my 69 roadrunner that the vinyl top was original when i peeled it. I suppose I should be able to tell when I peel the black top off the galaxie if it was original or not.

On my roadrunner it was primer only under the vinyl, body color only came part way up the sail panels under the vinyl, plus it had factory grease pencil markings on the roof under he vinyl indicating white vinyl.

19. von zipper

von zipper

If you look, you will see that the vinyl top is a rare option! Mine is pretty loaded except for the power seat, and cruise control. I have ps,pb,factory air,pwr windows, and the swing-away wheel. 390,cruiseomatic.

20. northerndave

northerndave
    from Badger MN

very cool.

My AC looks like it was an add on, possibly dealer installed.

nothing fancy beyond that.

manual brakes, manual steering... XL interior but very low on comfort features.

I do have the correct trim to acompany a vinyl top by the back window.

Would my windshield stainless have been any different for vinyl/non vinyl?

It's got some pretty wide stainless trim around the windshield....

21. von zipper

von zipper

That looks like a Mercury AC unit. It looks very similar to mine,but it's not. The knobs are the same. I don't know about the trim width. Just clean it all out,and get some catalogs! Wiper switches,and trunk locks are the hardest to find! Everything is is findable!

22. northerndave

northerndave
    from Badger MN

Well I guess I'll just build around the wiper switch and trunk lock then since both are good.

lol!

AC unit says "MARK IV"

[​IMG]

23. hvywrench

hvywrench
    from N.W. Conn.

I keep coming back to your pics, especially the interior pics.
    There is so much original stuff still there: console, original shifter, A/C...
    That kind of stuff makes the car worth 'more' to the right person.
    Shame about the rust and the missing warranty tag. For some reason I'm thinking that there are shops that will recreate the tag with proof of ownership, but don't ask me where I got that idea....

I noticed the black carpet highlights on the lower part of the door panels, I have to wonder if that is part of the vinyl roof option (if indeed it is factory or dealer installed)?
    I have a die cast '64 that is red with a black vinyl roof so I guess it could be a possibility.

The outside trim and brightwork seems to be pretty fair, all good news for you. You can ditch that steering wheel and use the parts car wheel with the XL horn ring.
    Easy for me to be positive, eh?? It isn't my project! I like it, though, I have a soft spot for '64s.

24. von zipper

von zipper

Shop vac that baby!!!

25. northerndave

northerndave
    from Badger MN

A while back I took a run at falling in love with this rusty basket case and it seems to me at that time I did learn of a place that reproduced the warranty tags with proof of ownership like you said, seems there were special rivets you had to use also.

I have had the same thoughts on most all of the points you have made here, especially concerning the steering wheel. Use the parts car wheel and the XL ring that's thankfully in the trunk of the XL car.

What I had not considered before is the black lowers on the door panels complimenting the black vinyl top... very interesting.

Also it seems to me from looking at the car tonight that this stainless is specific to the vinyl top, I could be wrong on that but it sure seems "special".

The stainless on the sides of the windshield covers the A pillars completely. Very stout drip rail stainless that seems to match the trim piecs at the top back edge of the roof above the back glass... It just seems specific to a vinyl top car, maybe I'm way off on that though?

I'll start with a leaf blower and finish with the shop vac :grin:

26. hvywrench

hvywrench
    from N.W. Conn.

I can't claim any knowledge about trim accents, but the carpet 'looks' like it might match the roof, the black inserts in the seats appear to be something cobbled in there to cover damage or wear, never saw that option on any upholstery kits from the major vendors.
    My red interior has red carpet lowers on the doors and the buckets are pleated with the same red material as the rears.
    I might suggest that you join the Galaxie club, without a doubt there are folks associated with that club that could answer all the really obscure questions. Someone there could decode your VIN and provide direction about the replacement warranty tag, I'm pretty sure I've seen an ad in the magazine for that service.
    I'm pretty sure that Dearborn Classics sells reprints of the Ford Interior, Body, and Trim manuals for the 64s. I have a couple but don't remember which ones.
    If you search the Galaxie threads here you'll get plenty of inspiration and ideas.

27. nabby98

nabby98
    from Amana, IA

My trunk pan is similar to your parts car. I will dig around and see what kind of pics I have. My rear bumper is way worse than the one on your xl. Mine also came with next to no interior and would love to have xl interior in the shape you have. She needs plenty of work/parts/time but I wouldnt trade it for anything. Dig into and get it on the road again.

28. northerndave

northerndave
    from Badger MN

my seats were recovered with some groovy 70's vinyl couch material, I've found my correct seat covers in books like dearborn.

I just now found some old advertisement for 1964 galaxies that states the vinyl top was available in black or white for the 500 XL

29. hyperfe

hyperfe

These 64 cars are great drivers. Mine needed lots of stuff, but after 20 years it's good now.

Attached Files:

30. TANNERGANG

TANNERGANG
    BANNED
    from alabama

I've heard about the swing away steering in a Galaxie, but I've never seen one...not even a picture.....Is it like the Thunderbird steering wheels?