Register now to get rid of these ads!

Was it called

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Johnyeyeball, Jan 31, 2012.

1. A early street racing place PICKITED LA CIRCUS wtf is it called and where exactly was it...

2. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Are you thinking of the Piccadilly Drive-In?

The Piccadilly is mentioned time and again as the number one gathering place for street racers. Was it the great burgers or the fast cars that drew hot rodders to the Piccadilly? "I was a BAD street racer," Dick says, who would frequent the Piccadilly Drive-In with Lois.

Street racers like George Barris, Dick Kraft, Indy 500 racer Jack McGrath, and Manual Ayulo were regulars at the Piccadilly. Hot rodders came from miles around where choosing off one another to a street race was where it was at.

"It was on Sepulveda in Culver City and we used to go there on Saturday nights. It was always crowded with kids and young adults. There was always someone who thought he had the faster car than the next guy," Lois continues.

"One by one, the fast cars would leave and everyone would pick up on the fact that a drag race was in the making. Everyone would jump in their cars and follow them to Washington Boulevard or Venice Boulevard and stand by the sidelines to watch." (Probably more rubber was laid on that exit driveway than the start line at Santa Ana Drag Strip.)

Read more: http://www.rodandcustommagazine.com...rac_bob_wenz_story/viewall.html#ixzz1l3eNbcYx

3. Was that supposed to be somewhere in So Cal? I've never heard of it but I'm curious now. I'll be watching this thread for a response.

4. That's some interesting info. Thanks.

5. Thank you I read about the drive in before. I didn't know if it was the same place