Register now to get rid of these ads!

My 1955 GMC project

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 55Hydramatic, May 20, 2011.

1. 55Hydramatic

55Hydramatic

Bottom of cab is done. Probably the worst thing to do....getting all that old rubberized junk off.

Attached Files:

2. 1959apache

1959apache

looks nice. I wish I had that much room lol. What are you using for your undercoating? or is that paint?

3. 55Hydramatic

55Hydramatic

I've been using truck bed liner for the bottom of the cab and in the wheel wells. Its holding up really good on my 72' GMC, no rock chips or anything. I think it looks nicer than the rubberized stuff too.

4. 55Hydramatic

55Hydramatic

All 82 holes in the firewall filled, smoothed and in primer. Hopefully get some black on it tomorrow!

Attached Files:

5. 55Hydramatic

55Hydramatic

Firewall is painted!! Cab is going back on as soon as its dry!

Attached Files:

6. 55Hydramatic

55Hydramatic

Cab is on!!

What do you guys think of my gas tank? hahaha

Attached Files:

7. 55Hydramatic

55Hydramatic

Looking like a truck again! Now I can move on to getting the rest of the cab primed and get the rust on the bottoms of my doors fixed. Then I can put those on and adjust all of my gaps.

Attached Files:

8. 55Hydramatic

55Hydramatic

If someone has a good pic of what the opening for the radio looks like could you please post it? I need to see what it used to look like so I can fix it and find a radio for it sometime...thanks again for all the compliments!

9. 55Hydramatic

55Hydramatic

So I was the lucky guy to get a bolt stuck in the tire of my 72' GMC today. Pulled in the garage and it sounded like someone was letting the air out of the compressor :eek:

Anyways got the bodywork on the cowl done and got it primed!

Attached Files:

10. _ogre

_ogre
    from Motown

good find on the truck. i like the jalopy frame pic. and yes keep the tank, very convenient to fill it on the front bumper. don't know about the safety factor...

very nice firewall, i quit counting after 50 on mine.
    yes bed liner works well, i did under fenders, inner fenders and bottom of cab.
    if your radio is the same as chevy, lmctruck.com and brotherstrucks.com have a patch panel to fix a hack job.

i'd kill for that cameo bed, send me the address and name of who i have to kill :)

11. 55Hydramatic

55Hydramatic

Thanks man! I wish I knew where that cameo was now....I was like 10 years old when we went and got the thing...I'd kill to have it too!

12. poncho55

poncho55

Great job and I love the time you are taking to bring her back to working order.

Keep us posted.

13. 55Hydramatic

55Hydramatic

Thanks poncho55...not too bad for a 19 year old kid eh?!

14. poncho55

poncho55

It's awesome for a 19 year old kid! Kudos to your parents for raising someone with the appreciation for vintage steel.

15. 55Hydramatic

55Hydramatic

Yea I thank my dad for getting me into it...he gave me that 72' in my avatar when I was 15 and said to restore it. With his help I did and now I have an awsome truck! going to be two whenever I get this thing done...

16. KidAgain

KidAgain

Keep to it Dude! You're doing a great job.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2011
  17. 55Hydramatic

55Hydramatic

Thanks!

Well I got my throttle linkage all done. Way better than the one the PO had in there! I'll get some better pics of it when I have the front clip off again. I got the doors stripped today though and I'm waiting on some fuel system parts which should be here tomorrow, so once I get that done I'll be able to drive it around again. Should be a little bit safer compared to the way I had it before :D

Attached Files:

18. Triggerman

Triggerman
    from NorCal

Just read your whole thread today. I am impressed with the quality of your work and of course I envy the enthusiasm of being 19. Enjoy both the truck and your youth, I have a several Chevy versions. Oh yeah, I also envy you living in Flagstaff, nice weather and scenery there.

19. 55Hydramatic

55Hydramatic

Thanks Triggerman! Yea I like it up here, although the east side of the peaks was burned by that Schultz fire a couple of summers ago. The neighborhood across the highway from me had some bad flooding(still does when it rains) but nothing nearly as bad compared to the first time.

20. 55Hydramatic

55Hydramatic

Got the actual fuel system done today..so I wont be using the gas tank I was using before :( Drove it down the street too...what a cold ride that was! Was worth it though....I'll have to say that its much nicer giving it gas with my foot rather than pulling that string I had on it before!! Steering was way loose and I tightned it up but it keeps like going out of adjustment when I turn the wheels on the ground :confused: Have to figure that out tomorrow....it was working fine before!!

21. 55Hydramatic

55Hydramatic

Haven't got much done lately but I fixed my steering box and took all my trucks out for a pic.

Attached Files:

22. Triggerman

Triggerman
    from NorCal

Mmm, I like the blue 4x4. Does it have a 396 engine?

23. 55Hydramatic

55Hydramatic

Thanks! No its got a 383 stroker, my mom has a 72' GMC suburban with a 502 though

24. 55Hydramatic

55Hydramatic

found an old cooler to put in the bed of it!

Attached Files:

25. orula

orula

Very nice work.

26. 55Hydramatic

55Hydramatic

Thanks orula! I'll have to get some more pics up, I just started body work on the fenders, hood and doors.

27. 55Hydramatic

55Hydramatic

Got the passenger fenders "lazy eye" all fixed still have some more tweaking to do but they are a lot closer than the were! next I'll tackle the doors.

Attached Files:

28. Triggerman

Triggerman
    from NorCal

Wow, that had to be a lot of work fixing that eyebrow. Are you going to try and save the grille as well?

29. swe64

swe64

nice job nice pickup
    for interchable parts glass same 2 diffrent cab type deluxe one with molding and one without.on mine 1957 i have support tubes on firewall to frame
    ken
    sweden

Attached Files: