Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 53 Chevy 3100 ..Now my Project!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 53inSD, Aug 25, 2011.

1. derbydad276

derbydad276

how loud are the horns???
    keep up the good work

2. 53inSD

53inSD

Not super loud, but a nice deep tone, wakes people up. Gonna get them de-red painted soon. Most likely they will become black.

3. SWAMPDONKEY

SWAMPDONKEY

truck looks great

4. 53inSD

53inSD

Thanks Swamp!

5. 53inSD

53inSD

I am waiting to get another hinge for the tailgate, to be able to mount that. So I decided to get the right rear brake light mounted, since it was mounted to part of the liftgate before, here is what I did. removed old paint, tacked on custom flat bar bracket. Then of course prime and paint. Lookin Good !! Lovin it minus lift gater!

Attached Files:

6. 53inSD

53inSD

I wanted to add a pic my drill press. This was my Grandpas, and I think its pretty cool, that I am using this tool that my Grandpa and my father used for years!

Attached Files:

7. 53inSD

53inSD

Trimmed some trees. Had to take a load to the greenery dump. Put the wood sides on the Truck, loaded it up, and figured out I do need a right mirror! My plan was not to go freeway, Buuut yeah could not see to change lanes, so went the freeway. Was alright, traffic was moving at about 60 so I could hang. Didnt know that a little traffic would be a blessing. Anyway heres some pics of my morning.

The last pic is me stopped at the post office getting a money order for Hamber budman. Some rear bumper brackets!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 9, 2011
  8. 53inSD

53inSD

Love this Truck!!

Attached Files:

9. 53inSD

53inSD

Rear brackets showed up today. They are Perfect!! Thanks Hamber Budman!!!

Attached Files:

10. 53inSD

53inSD

Decided to drop the oil pan and clean it out. After un bolting the pan and popping it loose, it is still stuck on lips on either side. Well long story short..engine hoist alot of grease and oil everywhere, and figured out I was just being a pussy and not pushing the pan hard enough to pop it loose. Welp its off and lots of sludge cleaned out. Going to replace all the flat head bolts holding the pan on with hex head bolts. So far so good.

11. ...you got any side shots of those rear bumper brkts?..they don't look like rears to me from the view you have.

12. 53inSD

53inSD

Side shot

Attached Files:

13. yup, those look correct, they drop down like that, fronts don't.

14. 53inSD

53inSD

Oh Yeah My Hundreth Post and Im a Grenade Inspector now!!!

15. 53inSD

53inSD

Got the oil pan on, and it leaked horribly. Couple pics showing the trail into the driveway, and the nice spot it left.

So Got Hamber Waldo53 to give me the ins and outs of the oil pan.

http://75.144.31.121/oil-pan%20gasket.JPG

Yesterday I got a new gasket installed, used no rtv, Couple tricks from Waldo ( Don) , and so far no leaks. WOW.

I am glad the sludge is out of the pan. Turned into a bigger project than I suspected at first. Altho now im a pro!

Attached Files:

16. smoked72

smoked72
    from Motor City

17. 53inSD

53inSD

Thanks Smoked!

18. 53inSD

53inSD

Just a pic of the 53.

Attached Files:

19. 53inSD

53inSD

Decided that the engine compartment would look better without the horn attached to the intake manifold. Figured the best spot would be under the Hood latch. A few pics of what I did. Kept it Simple. Small piece of flat, a couple holes drilled. Attached a couple bolts. Then a couple tacks to hold the new bracket in place. The horn hit the grill when wiggled, so I put a little piece of trim on the horn. Turned out easy enough. Cleans up the engine compartment.

Attached Files:

20. your truck is looking better and better, how much clearance do you have between frame and rearend? do you feel you could go an inch lower in the rear? I would like to go with four inch blocks.

21. robyyo

robyyo
    from Orange CA

22. 53inSD

53inSD

Between the rear axle and the frame is 6 inches, so is the top of the rearend to bed. But there is 3 inch bump stops on frame to axle. The problem is the "scrub line" the 3 inch blocks is really pushing the rear springs close to the ground. That extra inch will be dangerous. So you would need to remove rear leaves also, which i should do, but when i did the rear I got lazy when the springs didnt come apart as easy as the front. Maybe mono leaf springs. or get the rear springs dearched. I want my rear an inch or 2 lower

23. 53inSD

53inSD

Thanks!!

Attached Files:

24. I will have to measure I know that you are really close to the scrub line up front with a 4 inch drop axle unless you run 16" or larger wheels which i plan to run 16s I will measure out the back. I want to stay away from the mono springs but de arching might be a possiblility. thanks

25. 53inSD

53inSD

I have 16 inch wheels. And it does look like if my tires were completely gone, I would be on axle up front, and u bolts in rear.

26. thanks for the insight, I'm glad you got rid of the lift gate

27. 53inSD

53inSD

Yeah getting rid of that lift gate got me up to freeway speeds. I can pull hills waaay better also. It was definitely the right move.

28. 53inSD

53inSD

Got a rear bumper at the Big 3 super swap. Painted the Brackets, I got a few months ago , Black. Made a bracket, like I did for the front, for the rear lic. plate. Turned out good, a little crooked.. Plan to paint the tailgate next week.

Attached Files:

29. KustomCars

KustomCars
    from Minnesota

30. 53inSD

53inSD

Thanks Kustom!