Register now to get rid of these ads!

Not another falcon "GASSER"

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BrickTopp, Jan 4, 2010.

1. BrickTopp

BrickTopp

Amen

2. BrickTopp

BrickTopp

I dont know if you can tell from the pictures but the crossmember for the ladderbars roll up into the plate that is the base for the roll bar's main hoop. I feel thats plenty strong with the plate being welded to the floor but it is sheet metal. The decision was made to reinforce it. I need to handle wheeling popin, tire smokin, clutch droppin, insane launches ....duh, cant have it twisting. So I went ahead and made pie shape boxes that grab the rear part of the tube. Just used some 2" by 3" rectangle tubing, a hole saw, and a tape. The wedges will be welded to the hat channel/frame rail that go over the rear end.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. BrickTopp

BrickTopp

Its been a busy last few weeks. The falcon was mostly blasted and the roof and 1/4's stripped by D/A to save a few bucks. Some filler and high build primer and were just about set for surface primer.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. SLCK64

SLCK64

Beautiful!!! Plannin on coming out the the Meltdown Drags in July, right?;):D

5. Falcon Gasser

Falcon Gasser

[​IMG]

Car is looking great, I really like what you did for the header exits, they are really sharp and I am jealous.

Jon

6. BrickTopp

BrickTopp

Its one of the reasons its gettin done!

Jon we can get those header exits on your car in a weekend!

7. Ray C's son

Ray C's son

Man, really looking good. What colors are you going with?

KRH

8. BrickTopp

BrickTopp

Yaaa this is the current topic of discussion at the moment. I think i know what they will be (thats my only clue). I think ill let ya know when its on the car. Lets just say it wont dissapoint and i wont have any fingerprints when im done.

9. Willy301

Willy301

This is giving me some ideas on my 63, not sure if the 2dr ht wouldlook good as a gasser or and altered. But I am going to look into it further.

10. 60 ford

60 ford

Damn your coming right along, Looks great.

11. BrickTopp

BrickTopp

I have a 63 hard top as well and i just couldnt do it to er. Those models look so good low and just the way they flow. Not really helpin ya i know but the sedans are a dime a dozen and hardtops were one year only for round bodies. But hey im sure you can make it bitchin no matter the case.

12. Ray C's son

Ray C's son

Planning on doing a little sanding, are ya? :) I like a good mystery.

Kevin

13. Willy301

Willy301

It actually does help. My original idea is still a good one. I am looking at cutting down the slightly wide 9" that the last guy installed, get the original wheel openings back in shape...it needs full quarters anyway. I am also thinking some inward mini tubbing make a triangulated 4 link so I can just unbolt the shocks to change tires if needed. Still up in the air on the front, I do like the sinister look of keeping it lower, but I need to get those shock towers out of the way. I have a 351w sitting here that really wants to become a stroker. I have put the frame rail ties in, the body was flexxing really bad with some of the work the last joker did. I am considering framing the car, but not with a ready made chassis, building the frame to integrate it into the car so it isn't apparent. Might involve a slight channeling. As much as the MII front end is way over used on stuff, I am considering it. I would also like to look into rack and pinion. I hate to change the car so much, but the last owner was trying to make it a race car, and he really messed some things up that I am not sure I can get the car back to factory strength with just fixing his poor craftsmanship.

I have to say, you are doing some solid work. I like the looks of car in the after stages, and I think you are making good decisions based on the problems you have encountered. I like how you cut down the 3/16" 2x3 and tied the ladder bars in, very good thinking ahead. My current project is way OT, but I have had an engineer actually look it over. He was impressed, and he actually made a suggestion that made it even better. Truly a learning experience.

Take care and enjoy your ride, it is a nice one!

14. 65COMET

65COMET

Willy301;instead of a M11,how about a strut front suspension? A M11 mounts the engine in a goofy way,up and forward,unless you build a custom oil pan,plus I see too many M11s that don't have the wheels centered in the well!Which ever way you go it is expensive to do!! ROY.

15. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Only just found your thread, read through from page 1, Its all looking great, will be a cool quick car, I'm doing a Willys gasser at the moment and you can't have to many gassers !!! Look forward to seeing more pics.

16. Hellfish

Hellfish

Wow! This is an informative and inspirational build!

I hope you get it done in time for the Heads Up Drags (June 16) at Great Lakes Dragaway. We'd love to see it run there AND at the Meltdown in July!

http://hunnertcarheadsup.com/

Joe

17. BrickTopp

BrickTopp

Langy, im still reading your thread! If money was no object id have a Cammer powered willys in the blink of an eye. Great work!

Hellfish, thanks, ya cant go to the meltdown with out goin to the heads up. Thats the plan anyways

18. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Thanks, Cammer in a Willys, now that i would like to see :D Keep it up mate its looking good.

19. 60 ford

60 ford

Any progress?

20. fitzee

fitzee

trying to keep gassers off my mind!! this car is not helping!! Very nice..

21. BrickTopp

BrickTopp

A wet sand away from real color. The color on there right now will just act as a guide coat but its not to far from the real deal,..just shiney'R :D. still have underneath to do and now that most of the indoor car shows are over its back to work.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

22. roosters hot rods

roosters hot rods

Wow !!..that looks SWEET !!

Rooster

23. 60 ford

60 ford

Wow, cool color

24. BrickTopp

BrickTopp

The bird has gone rotary. Seriously if you can buy, borrow, or beg to use a rotisserie, DO IT. Makes life way easy. Just remember to do all your structural welding with the car on wheels or jig first. And before you all go ball bustin, yes the side bars would not pass tech. I wanted em and just am not a fan of swing outs.
    I know my lines fuzy with what direction im going but im sure if i could pull it off i would love to have it as a full comp car. But being real this is more of a exhibition/street car. Someones always asking what im going to do with it and i just say im doing it, having fun within my means.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

25. HOOT that's look'n good !

26. 60 ford

60 ford

A rotisserie would be great, I wish I had room in my shop for one.

27. Leadsled51

Leadsled51

Let's get an update here!! Your build is what is keeping me going on mine!!!!!

28. KustomCars

KustomCars
    from Minnesota

29. No_Respect

No_Respect
    from So-Cal

WOW amazing talent probably the best engineered Falcon Gasser!

30. BrickTopp

BrickTopp

Yeah that would be my fault. Dans been pluggin away on his own as I had my neck fused at the end of winter but im back on it light duty and one more week I should be cleared to go back full force to help. So ill get an update goin. Its really all the little stuff now thats getting figured out which is almost more work than just bending, sanding or drilling.
    I find it awesome that you guys like it. Really didnt expect the reaction its gotten and hope it doesnt dissapoint!