Register now to get rid of these ads!

Early 50's cars as hot rods NOT customs...GALLERY

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jeem, Aug 26, 2011.

1. rick finch

rick finch

2. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Anybody have pics with early 50's cars wearing American 5 spokes either front and back or just back? I have a set of Ansen's that I've been tripping over that I was thinking of running on my '54. Not exactly sure but it might be cool right? :D

3. rick finch

rick finch

There are always exceptions to the rule.....but 5 spokes can go on almost anything.

4. Boones

Boones
    from Kent, Wa
    1. Northwest HAMBers

need louvers. I agree with the range of wheels that were popular in the 60's. I left off the steel wheels because I think that was dying out in the very late 50's and since we were talking a 60's style I focused more on chrome and aftermarket wheels. the small window halibrand is one of my favorite wheels of all time...

I love the small window halibrand look, (that you seen mostly on drag cars, not sure I ever seen them on a early 50's street car) and you always see the chrome steelie and Americans. with later 60's being dominated by crager and Americans. For this post I assumed we are taking about an early 50's car done in a 60-65 era hot rod

This post is bringing out a wide variety of wheels and cars. hope more examples are out there..

5. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

The ones I have were listed in the 1962 Catalog as Competition only as they were 8.5" wide. That's a bit wider then I'd like them to be and I'd probably keep some cheater slicks on them as that's what was on the. They are probably far to wide for a stock wheel well though.

Here's they are mounted on original 60's recaps. Honestly they are just in my way and I'm looking for a place for them haha!!
    [​IMG]

6. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

I have the exact same pair, but with Hurst 8" pie crust slicks at my place too! Right now they are just holding up the back of my long waiting RPU project, but at one time or another in the last twenty years I have had them they have been on every car I have owned at some point. best looking tire/wheel combo ever, in my humble opinion.

7. PunkAssGearhead88

PunkAssGearhead88
    from So Cal

I like your dad's '50. I get tired of seeing the cliche, ass draggin, '49-54 Chebbies out here.

BTW, that's a nice pic you took of my orange '50 Shoebox a few years back at GNRS, had to right click and save that!

I love this thread! I was gonna contribute, but you beat me to it.
    Thanks!

8. PunkAssGearhead88

PunkAssGearhead88
    from So Cal

You mean like this?

This is how it looked in '05-'06.. It's gonna have a make over in the near future which will consist of keeping a matching pair of wheels, I was going for a mid 60's look but decided I like the pre-'63 era look better.. Now if I could find a steady job to make it happen... That's another story.

Attached Files:

9. cheezwiz

cheezwiz

Dammit Jimmy I'm going as fast as I can !! I should be done by spring if all goes well !!

10. Jeem

Jeem
    Alliance Vendor

Well see to it Holmes!

11. My Hurst cheaters on deep 7" wide wagon wheels fit in the wheelwells of my 54. They are cased on a 235.

12. Boones

Boones
    from Kent, Wa
    1. Northwest HAMBers

cheezwiz, what are you working on?? your 55 is historic and the Henry J is incredible. I love your style.. so if you are building a 50's ride in a 60's look, how about sharing alittle...

13. cheezwiz

cheezwiz

sorry to be so teasey, I'm building a 54 Chevy 210, and it's a HOTROD ! Every square inch of the car has been modified but if you don't own one you'd think it was all stock...exceptin' for the stance !! I'm working on it and it only. Basically it's the age old race between time and money. If I'm lucky it'll be done by spring, if not....ugh ! I'm really excited about the car though !

14. slammed

slammed

A spy photo would rule, Scott!

15. bonez

bonez
    from Slow lane

12 pages and nobody noticed that this THING'S A MODEL!!!!!
    Also i see tons of cars that are customs, not hot rods, even Floyd Debore's Watson painted 58 poncho on the 1st page, and cant possibly call that a hot rod can you?

[​IMG]

16. Boones

Boones
    from Kent, Wa
    1. Northwest HAMBers

should a hotrodded 50's car have a black or other color interior where as a Kustom should have a white interior. how about a simple roll bar or tonneau cover over the backseat area (maybe missing it?)

17. I love 50s cars...not much for custom cars tho...here are a few of my old cars

Attached Files:

18. Cub8556

Cub8556

Pretty much sums it up for me too.

19. Cub8556

Cub8556

That is a bad ass pic.

20. Boones

Boones
    from Kent, Wa
    1. Northwest HAMBers

Sinister did a photoshop of my 51 with a hotrod flair

with a set of Real Rodders
    [​IMG]

here with chrome reverse and cheater slicks
    [​IMG]

21. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I seem to remember "Too Tall" Pat Ganahl and his cohorts saying over the years-go-by...

"It's all about altitude and attitude. That and the wheel/tire choice."

I agree. You can have a hot rodded custom. You can have a customized hot rod. There are overlaps and exceptions. But the stance and the wheel/tire combo is so important in determining whether a car is a
    hot rod, custom, street rod, gasser, street machine, lowrider, stocker, or gas buggy.

................GAS BUGGY ?!?!?...What the...?

22. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

if I had a big picture of the wheels I'd have spent more time making them look right. swiped these proper 5 spokes right here on this thread.

[​IMG]

23. Grumpy

Grumpy
    from NE Ohio

Ive been kicking around a nose down hotrod rake on my 54 chevy hardtop. Cant decide.......
    I have a pr of 8.20-15 Firestones, but not sure those things will even fit under the car...:eek::D

Great thread!

24. Boones

Boones
    from Kent, Wa
    1. Northwest HAMBers

Here are two I like
    a combo custom/hotrod (wheels and tire could change the look real quick)

[​IMG]

I love the large meats under the rear of this ride
    [​IMG]

Dyno Dave likes this.
  25. hotrod 49

hotrod 49

The green one looks so badass!!

kiwijeff likes this.
  26. That green car has the right "attitude".......bitchin!

27. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Sorry for the huge pic but this one caught my eye and is listed in the classifieds currently. I thing this guys nailed the stance however the 16" wheels and radials are not cutting it for me (not that it has to since it's not my car). But i think if this thing had the right wheels and tires and maybe a period interior it could be straight out of 1961!

I've been thinking more and more about my '54 lately with my wife hinting that she want's another child soon. I cannot fit the 4 of us in the car that I do have running now so I'm thinking that I need to get started on my "family car". I'm thinking the stance on this one would be close to how I'd like mine and I'm either going to go with dog dish (poverty caps) or maybe some sort of flipper cap. For the engine originally I thought period engine with a 4 speed behind it but the more I think about it a 350/400 combo might be alright because I think I want AC in this one. Anyways, I'm really enjoying this thread and look forward to using this as inspiration.

[​IMG]

28. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Maybe

Attached Files:

29. [​IMG]
    One mean ass Hotrod right here.

30. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

Hey Jeffrey I can resize that for you if you'd like...oh wait, I just did. :rolleyes::D
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014