Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects What!!? another 27 on 32 chassis!??. Scratch build body.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Mindover, Jun 5, 2011.

1. Ah, got'cha. David, you need to dumb it down for us colonists! ;)

2. Dyce

Dyce

David I'm watching!! The jig looks good. Watch for springback on the axle when you releise the pressure. I had to bend mine after I had it in the car with the spindles on because my camber was way off. Also do not use a hollow king pin, they like to bend.

3. Just coz we're not replying - we're still watching...........

4. Mindover

Mindover
    from England

Hi Joe, I worked all day on that Pop axle to drop it with the sledge hammer, I was a lot younger then and I had not seen how it was done, I hammered that thing to shape! I had done some blacksmithing so I knew I could do it but I swore I would never do another.

I could see that people were looking at this thread but when I had put up quite a few posts with photos without any replies I began to wonder if it was of interest or not. No big deal just don't want to waste my time putting up stuff that people don't find interesting or helpful.

David

5. Mindover

Mindover
    from England

Thanks for the replies, I do this for the banter with like minded people as much as anything, so its nice to have some replies. I live with three women so no one here likes to talk cars or metalwork! Bob you are in the same boat so you know where I am comming from! I guess your Kamy has more interest than my Sandra though.

R.S.J.- Rolled Steel Joist.

David

6. Tourer tub is coming off tonight Dave and going straight on a trailer. Want me to pop it down to you this weekend?

7. Mindover

Mindover
    from England

Cheers Jeff, I am very aware of keeping the correct camber. I am sure I will neeed to do a bit of messing about with it to get it right. I left plenty of space under the axle in the jig so it can be 'worked'.

David

8. Mindover

Mindover
    from England

That would be great Phil, Saturday after about two I will be out but any other time.

David

9. GizmoJoe

GizmoJoe

Hahahah.. I can't believe I wrote Joint instead of Joist! Sheesh. :eek:

Ya, most of us did stuff when we were younger that we won't or CAN'T do anymore.
    Since back surgery 5 or 6 years ago I have a nice excuse to not do stuff I don't want to do. ;)

When (if) I finish this T I'm working on, I hope to start on a 30-31 A truck.
    Parts are non-existent here so any tips to fab parts so reading threads like yours are sure helpful.

10. Mindover

Mindover
    from England

Joe I took a quick look at your photobucket pics. I really think you would find my youtube footage of interest.

David

11. Mindover

Mindover
    from England

Went and picked up my backing plates from the sandblaster.

[​IMG]

I will get these painted in black etch primer later because I have a stack of panels we made to paint at the same time.

Yesterday I sent my original front spring to a spring manufacturer to have it re-made but with reverse eyes and less camber in it.

David

Last edited: Oct 26, 2014
  12. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

What he said...Love seeing how you do stuff.

13. GizmoJoe

GizmoJoe

David,
    I have watched your youtube video quite a few times in the past year or so and each time thought.. where was this information in the 70's when I was trying to fix old clunkers for a living? I've shown the youtube to a number of people but I haven't bought the DVD yet.
    Since starting on the T I've made an E-wheel and plannishing hammer but have only dabbled with them.
    When I start on the A I'll need all the help I can get so the DVD is on my wish list. :)
    Joe

14. Mindover

Mindover
    from England

Joe, please don't think I was trying to hards sell the DVD to you its just that I saw some of the things you were making and I know you would find it easier with some of the techniques I show. All the techniques are using hand tools only but a wheel or planishing hammer will speed things up a bit.

I am going to show the process of making the '27 body on here but just to show what is possible without machines I thought I would show this bumper which I made in 16g steel using only hand tools. I will be starting another thread on the making of this soon. I know this is a bit off topic for this thread. The first photo is of a part formed section the second shows a hand finished bare steel finished bumper ready to send to the chrome players.

David

[​IMG]

15. GizmoJoe

GizmoJoe

NO NO NO! I didn't think that u were pushing them at all! :)
    Like I said.. I've admired the video for a while.

Wow. Love those hand built bumpers!
    You have the talent (understatement).

Oh sure... now that I've got the body taken care of you will show how to do one!
    ;) ;) ;)
    PLEASE PM me when you start that thread. This place moves so fast that I would probably miss it.
    Joe

16. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

That is one impressive bit of metal working! When you start that thread, be sure to post a link here.

17. Mindover

Mindover
    from England

Cheers Tom I will.

David

18. Bob you are in the same boat so you know where I am coming from! I guess your Kami has more interest than my Sandra though.

Dave thats where you're wrong - 3 girls/women = no car interest. Thats why I like to catch up on it here.

Are you going to drop it this weekend??? What about heat treating it afterwards??? Post heating???? to refine the grain structure???

19. Mindover

Mindover
    from England

Bob, We are in the same boat then - some feat seing as you moved to the other side of the world to me. I intend to drop the axle tomorrow, So long as the the axle is at the correct temp and as you say brought up to temp when bent and allowed to cool in air it will be fine- thats what I did to your pop axle.

I got the brake backing plates in primer tonight.

David

Last edited: Jan 26, 2012
  20. bent metal

bent metal

Yep, I agree. I'm just watching and learning too. :)

21. rebstew187

rebstew187

Wow what a tin bender! Nice work!

22. Mindover

Mindover
    from England

Thanks for reading and thanks for the complements.

David

23. Mindover

Mindover
    from England

I just thought, I have another thread on here about metalshaping that you would probably like Tom - Here is a link- http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=637003

You may also like this thread which shows some of the work I have done in the past making aluminium roadster bodies. (more metalshaping)
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=526153

David

24. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

Subscribed to both. Really appreciate your talent for sheet metal. My skills are more towards chassis stuff and wood, steel tube and fabric construction. Before I retired I worked on vintage aircraft restoration and maintenance. Did a little aluminum panel work, but nothing as involved as your body work.

25. Mindover

Mindover
    from England

DROPPED THE AXLE.

I dropped the axle today, I decided to do a three and a half inch drop, I set everything up in the jig and after heating the axle we (my friend Glen and I) set about dropping it, it was not without its problems and if I were to do more axles I would redesign the jig a little. All in all it went OK and with a little tweaking I got everything equal and got the correct KPI (8 degrees) so the steering geometry will be right.

[​IMG]

Here is a close up of the axle end, a little cleaning up with a sander and it will look good.

[​IMG]

David

oliver westlund and FlatJan like this.
  26. That drop is beautiful, looks perfect!

27. Nice one Dave, it looks great - are you going to paint it blue to match its older brother???

Actually that should be younger brother as mine is from a Pilot

Last edited: Jan 27, 2012
  28. spot

spot
    from usa

Amazing. I love to learn about ways to do thing. Great job. I lookd forward to following your progress.

29. Mindover

Mindover
    from England

No blue paint Bob!

Thanks Jimmy I am pleased its done. I ordered the spring - it should be with me in a week. Then I can mock up the chassis.

Thanks Spot I have a long way to go on this build yet.

David

30. GizmoJoe

GizmoJoe

Nice!
    Congrats on getting it done, David. :)
    I just didn't have the nerve to drop an axle so I stepped the front of the frame I built for the T instead.
    Maybe I'll get the local guys together to help me with the one for A truck I'll do someday, since I have a great AA frame for it.

What's the next big fabrication job for you?