Register now to get rid of these ads!

My new project 1951 Buick

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by aw1950, Oct 18, 2010.

1. Yeah as the saying goes hindsight is always 20/20 I really didnt think that I did that much grinding . Most of the floor just fell out . i have no idae when this could have happened . Fact is it did and I could kick myself in the arse not once but many times as I know better , or at least I thought I did .

LCE I have heard of that paper . A fella should get some , ya think? What an arse I am . Anyway , I will give an old guy a calll that has 2 4dr parts cars with glass . I am thinking of running a 20% tint on these glass I wonder if the pits would still be noticable ?? Just a thought ??

2. koolkemp

koolkemp

I would bet that the pits would be more noticable with a film tint...kinda like air bubbles would look like?

3. 48SuperConvert

48SuperConvert
    from Seattle

Your'e right on KoolKemp...I had some pitted glass film tinted and they did look like little air bubbles. I'd try scrapping and polishing first...not too much investment in time and money.

4. ems customer service

ems customer service

========================================
    i kept reading the fine print in the fed-ex service guide buried in obscure topics. the rate for boxes that are oversize and that are not very heavy.

it is a complicated set of calculations to determine denisty of the cubic space of the package but for 2012

the minimum wieght charge per cubic foot for these boxes are increasing 20% for 2012 this applies to usa ground as well as ground service to canada and applies to air frieght for domestic and international.

and this is on top of a general rate increase of 6%

so basically the shipping of parts for our hobby will increase a lot for 2012

5. five-duece-chevy

five-duece-chevy
    from PA

Cool thread. I'm doing something very similar with my 52 chevy. Draping the body over a 94 caprice frame, complete with the caprice floor and firewall (and LT1 and 700R4). I've got the body on and am currently working on the front end. Got to relocate some stuff to get the grille to fit on the car.

6. I figured that as well , but I thought that if I went only 20% tint maybe a fella would have to know they were there to notice them ??? Maybe I will buy some tint and give it a try . One never knows . Nothing ventured , nothing gained !!!

Got them scraped and cleaned . What would you suggest in regaurds to polishing ? I seen the Eastwood kit . Sounds like its only for mild scratches and abrasions . I dont know ???

So it sounds like these brokerage companys are driving us Canadians away from doing business in the states because of the prohibitive cost to us !!!

Cool . I would like to see some pics . I checked your thread , looking for a pic fix LOL!

7. redstraw

redstraw
    from tn

this car has came along way been watching for awhile. and ps Ive done the gass booboo to.

8. five-duece-chevy

five-duece-chevy
    from PA

9. nali

nali

I ve been polishing parts with elbow grease, sand paper and time ...
    Sometimes starting with a grinder to remove the biggest parts . Then a file.
    Of course , it take many hours. Much more than a pro would take . But it works.
    Yeh I m cheap ... Listen to your favorite music group, watch movies and just remember when you were a teenager starring a Spring Sears book :p

Start with a grinder or 36 grit paper for floors, finish 2000 wet :p
    I m far from beeing a pro.
    But with just handtools, hands and ( a lot of ) time, I changed this

http://i47.servimg.com/u/f47/12/47/40/91/dsc00917.jpg

To this.

http://i47.servimg.com/u/f47/12/47/40/91/bas-mo10.jpg

Just take time ... And Canadian Tire tools ...
    Oh .... I just spend about 300 h on this 1947 Evinrude outboard engine :p

10. robleticia

robleticia

I don't understand the glass, you haven't done very much welding or grinding???:eek::D

11. I think that a lot of guys have done this a time or to but wont admit to it and yup looking back it sure has come a long way hasn't it . Andy..

Geez that motor looks good . From 36 grit to 2000 grit is what you did on that motor ?

LOL I know that sounds dumb on my part but the pitting that I am refering to was on the inside of the glass and like I said the original floors pretty much just fell off. Where have ya been anyways ??? Working or what ??

12. Well no pics , just an update . I have all the glass out now . Also the headliner . Any flamable stuff is now gone . Tuesday I hope to have everything marked up ( Cutlines etc.) And some bracing in . I will be ready for the chop on the weekend . Cant wait . There will be lots of pics by Sunday for sure if all goes well anyways . Who knows from one day to the next , Right!! See Ya , Andy...

13. nali

nali

you can be sure some will wait till weekend :p

14. Devoted

Devoted
    from DFW Texas

15. Glad to have you along. Andy

16. robleticia

robleticia

Andy, what was the final verdict on # of inches for the chop? Keeping the big back window?

17. Right now Rob I am in the process of laying out the cutlines . Right now I have the pass side B post and A post taped up . A 2 1/2 " chop at the B post gives a 3" at the A pillar . Seems like a lot as the windshield will shrink to 15" in height . 3" at the B pillar will give almost 4 " at the A pillar . I think that would be to much and the car would look overchopped . Seeing as I will have some muscle in the shop that day maybe I will start out conservatively and work my way down till it looks right . Better to air on the side of caution .Tyler Durbans car is good with a conservative 2 " at the B pillar and 2.5 " at the A pillar but I dont like the fact he moved the rear glass forward . It put that hump in the back above the rear window . As far as the rear window goes as the previous posts say I ruined my rear glass so it comes down to this do I say screw it and use it anyway and lay the 3 piece down or scrap that and run the chevy back glass ? I have a source for replacement rear glass an old guy has 2 parts cars . So I am not totally screwed just pisses me off . More money out for a stupid oversight . Rob you had to bring it up again as I sit here I am starting to get pissed again for doing the bonehead deed . Geesh !!:mad: What was your opinion on the rear glass issue ?? How much chop did you do to your
    Chevy ?

18. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Just for perspective Andy, here's a 1-3/4" A-pillar chop. Now granted, this guy dropped the C-pillar so much that he had to lower the whole trunk lid. But the point is, this A-pillar drop says "Chopped" at only 1-3/4".

[​IMG]

19. koolkemp

koolkemp

Andy ! You havent lived till you have driven a car with a 9 inch window, whats with this 13 Inches of glass stuff ;) I stil say the Chevy back glassnot cause its in better shape, I just like that fat C pillar look on these late 40,s-early 50's chops ...its hard to explain I just like the look lol! Are ya gonna wait till the end of the weekend or update us as the chop progresses?

20. 60 ford

60 ford

21. I see a nice looking chevy Brerhair but it would seem to me that for my liking that its not enough . To subtle . If you are going to go to the great task of this job at least it should be more obvious . I am just sayin thats all . Thanks for the input , always appreciated . :) Andy..

I am not balsy enough to go that radical . Would probably look to odd whacked that much . I like that look to and anyways what would I do with this 52 chev roof if not for this chop ??? As far as pictures goes I am inclined to say that the actual chop wont happen this weekend as we got dumped on with 8 inches of snow and also work , life in general is in the way this weekend ( sorry folks ) I will be taking pics as I progress through the day of the chop and post them at night . Unfortunatly not til next weekend though :confused: . A week goes by pretty quick though . Later , Andy..

Thanks man and hang on this is going to get wild !!! Andy..

22. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I agree with you Andy. 2" at the A-pillar is not enough, that's the point I was trying to make. IMHO:)

23. Well Brerhair my first option is now the only option .I will go the full 3 inches at the A pillar . Today I cut one doortop off and cut the 2.5 inches by the B post. So I am now commited . 3 full inches at the A pillar. I have a few pictures from today . I wanted to see what 2.5 at the B posts looks like . I think thats the magic number . I suppose that I can go more if I want a more raked look as I go pillar to pillar . Well see .

24. A few pics from an hour and a half I was able to steal away from the day.

Attached Files:

25. koolkemp

koolkemp

Let the fun begin!!!

26. LeftCoastErik

LeftCoastErik

Kick ass man, go for it!!!

27. Were on a roll now . Probably no chop as I said but all the prepwork will be done , hopefully by the end of tomorrow ( Saturday that is )

28. OldSkoolIronJunkie

OldSkoolIronJunkie

Man your Buick is gonna look bitchin. Keep up the great work. I am excited to see your updates.

29. Thanks for the positive comments . I am stoked as well . 8:00 AM saturday morning and I am off to the shop for the day . Hope to get some stuff done .

30. glassguy

glassguy

ok its 1013 am now is it done yet?????? cant wait to check back tonite!!! oh and dont forget to cover your glass!!! ha