Register now to get rid of these ads!

Vin # w/ new frame help

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by farmergal, Jan 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aussiesteve

aussiesteve
    BANNED

I can,t believe some of the things some people post on the internet for the world to see.

2. badshifter

badshifter

Google VIN tampering. Then tell us what a great idea this is. Have you inquired at your DMV? Or paid a qualified registration service to answer this question?

3. I may not have the most popular answer but my suggestion would be to reconsider the size of your engine. With a smaller engine you could box and use the stock frame and your problems would go away. It all depends what you want but an overpowered car with a gas sucking engine isn't what I want. Have you ridden in cars with different sized engines and talked with their owners? Maybe a fact finding trip to a street rod national would be a good investment. I hope others put their comments in on my suggestion.

Charlie Stephens

4. farmergal

farmergal
    from somewhere

Charlie;

We already have a stocker to drive in if we chose to enjoy something a little more moderate on gas and easy going. We want a hot rod...something to stomp on, burn rubber and so on and so forth :) . yea we could keep the original frame but it wouldnt look realy classy under a non-fendered car.

5. Good answer, can't argue with that. Funny thing is that I would rather see an original frame with its details than a later one (but tht is probably just me).

Charlie Stephens

6. nfleone

nfleone

Go to:

http://www.bipac.net/page.asp?content=tag_title_toolbox&g=SEMAGA

Click on your state.
    Read the other info also.

Nick

7. Just one more thought ... getting the vin verified now (in its stock model A form) then grinding off the numbers from your original frame and engine (before selling them both) won't help you one bit if you ever have to have the cars vin re-verified (and there is no way you can tell me for sure you won't ever need the vin verified again).

Keep them both.

8. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

won't CT issue you a VIN if you classify your hotrod as Special Construction? It would be a 2012 VIN, assuming you applied and were approved this year.

is that the kiss of death?

it seems to me that this is the only completely legal way to go about it.

or am I mistaken?

9. choptvan

choptvan

Ignore that. I had NO idea it was. My mistake and apologies. Guess you shouldn't belive everything you hear.

10. F&J

F&J

It would be the kiss of death on a highboy fenderless car. Pure insanity to try to get it through the main inspection headquarters. It will never work.

If they go with a verification, DMV will never need to see the car, ever....unless of course, they are out on the roads hellraising, get caught, and "if" the state police officer issues a written order for a "saftey inspection"...then it won't pass due to: no fenders,bumpers, exposed exhaust,etc,etc...

They way our state works, is that you don't need an inspection to register a car, unless it was a insurance total and some other exceptions. But the DMV statutes also do state that a police officer can issue an order for inspection of a car that he/she feels is in violation of safety issues. So, if you antagonize the officers, they may choose to do this, some don't.

11. Dave50

Dave50

We want a hot rod...something to stomp on, burn rubber and so on and so forth :) .

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: NAUGHTY NAUGHTY NAUGHTY What the helll you think this is a race track!!! :rolleyes::rolleyes::D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D Can`t wait for you and the hubby to tell the story of the first time you guys give it a Hot supper!:cool:

12. WallingfordHotRods

WallingfordHotRods
    from Seattle

I would use the front and rear crossmembers in the 32 frame rails and use the model A frame rails to make a X member in the 32 frame placing the Vin just about where it would have been stock....

13. F&J

F&J

hey Dave, from what she said, they live maybe 3 or 4 miles away from me...so I hope we don't "run into each other" :D Nailhead stuffed into a early Olds won't turn out so well...

14. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Now, HERE's an idea worth considering!............from an original thinker.

Ray

15. F&J

F&J

Ray I was thinking the same thing on how clever that is. I'd be willing to bet it would pass as legal?

Let's try a sort of lame example; a 34 Ford that got hit, and caused the passenger rail and center x to need replacement, Then, at the body shop, the orig left rail is reused on the donor frame...so why would it be illegal?

16. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

"Yes Mam.....we repaired the original frame......just took a lot of parts to do it!"

Ray

17. Junk Hunter

Junk Hunter
    from The Ozarks

Yep, or tuck the model A rails inside the '32 rails and cut a little area out of the upper toe of the '32 rail where the original Model A production number can be seen. Then you're just strengthening your original frame...right?

Last edited: Jan 27, 2012
  18. Dave50

Dave50

Just box the 32 with A rails with the number in the right place

Frank i have sevral thoughts on how that could be bad from actually as you said or again a side by side roar down the road could be fun but we know that you wouldnt do anything illegal and either would Farmergal :)

19. The problem here is Model A numbers are on components of the car that might get replaced. You need the number on your title on the car, mainly because if there's an accident bad enough where you get hurt, the insurance company probably won't pay out if no number can be found on the car. So you have to keep that number. What you do after that is pretty much up to you, but since it's tough to carry the old frame around with you, it makes sense to cut that out. And it depends on how well they inspect the car, too - in some states they don't even check. So I know there's a '30 A coupe street rod running around, registered with the frame number, on an aftermarket frame - and the original frame is now a '31 pickup in another country. I guess that one better not get sold to a state that does a VIN check.

There probably is a legal procedure to do this right if you hop through the hoops. Even that is going to vary from state to state.

Grinding off the old number isn't a great option because if the next guy uses that frame and someone wants to really get nosy, they have ways to pull that number up. Even if half the shit on CSI is actually true, it's probably not worth the risk.

Also, I'd never try to sell on down the line a car I knew had games played with the numbers on it. Here in New York, it's easy to get new paperwork when a car has none, so there is no reason to mess around.

Any of you guys want to tell me what you do with say a late 50's Ford when you need to replace the left door? Pickups into the 70s are this way, too. The tag is on the door.... do you carry the old door around in the trunk?

20. Fenders

Fenders

But a Model A frame VIN cannot be seen with the body on... and you'd still have to hold on to the engine so no one else uses that (same) number...

21. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

According to the SCoAC*, Model A ID numbers are on top of the left frame rail, just aft of the front of the firewall. True, not visible when the car is fully assembled, but there and valid, nonetheless.

*Standard Catalog of American Cars

RUSTYNEWYORKER.....are you aware that someone was impersonating you in an earlier post with advice quite the opposite that you are giving here??? Identity Theft has come to the HAMB !!!!!! :)

Ray

22. farmergal

farmergal
    from somewhere

boxing with the A rails sounds like a pretty nifty idea!

Dave50 & F&J:

Words cant describe how excited we are going to be to drive it for the first time! I'll get video of the first burn around town to share! We have a gameplan in place and we're diving in head first...lets get it done!

We talked to a friend who is a DMV inspector and he told us to put the numbers on the new frame and then hold onto the engine/orig frame for awhile when we start driving it. If all goes well then grind off the numbers thoroughly on the engine/frame and sell it.

I think we're leaning towards boxing the new frame with the A rails....technically you're still using the original frame...just making it stronger; right? This tactic could fit into the "grey area" :)

23. Dave50

Dave50

I think we're leaning towards boxing the new frame with the A rails....technically you're still using the original frame...just making it stronger; right? This tactic could fit into the "grey area" :)

My thoughts but what do i know... and it would be legal! as the lawa states there must be a certain part of the original frame with vin part there and your not suppose to restamp.

FG Thats what its all about the buil and then cruising it and thrashing it when its done or close to! :) Can`t wait to get mine back together and see you and Frank etc and maybe we can line these up at the Fitchburg airport and run eachother for fun... with my little 303 olds franks 324 and your nailhead whipping the asphault I am sure it will be a blast. Cant wait to see franks and your car so get working!! LOl I already been pushing Frank and he is already working 7 days a week lol I need to get to work HAHA

24. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

with your experience on the tanbark trail, you should know how to bend the rules a bit and enter the grey area!

25. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

People - this is the EXACT reason why the HAMB no longer allows the title discussion / selling issue.

FARMERGAL - contact the Connecticut Dept of Motor Vehicles and ask them what to do.

The HAMB will not put itself in any position /connection to something that possibly may not be with in certain states laws. The HAMB will not risk grey areas. Not worth it.
    You wonder why the decision was made.......PUT 2+2 together.

If you all enjoy the HAMB as much as you do, you will understand what I just typed.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2012
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.