Register now to get rid of these ads!

64 galaxie help please.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by northerndave, Jan 26, 2012.

1. northerndave

northerndave
    from Badger MN

Hi guys, I've had a 64 galaxie laying around home here for quite some time. I debate off and on whether or not to restore this thing.

I'm trying to learn some about the car right now I guess.

Sometime before I came into ownership of the car the drivers door was replaced so I do not have the correct warranty plate for the car.

The VIN (4G68Z) tells me it is a 500XL fastback Z code so I know all the XL trim and the 4v 390 is correct for the car, all of which it still has.

The car also has bucket seats and a 4 speed (I think maybe all XL's had buckets?)

Headliner, dash and door panels seem to be original, white headliner, white sun visors, red dash, red door panels.

The car's body color is red right now, It is an obvious repaint and I suppose some sanding and rust removal would probably expose the original color. It has a black vinyl top on it that looks a little too nice to be 48 years old.

It has a 4 speed trans with no evidence of it being converted so I believe it is original 4 speed car.

My question is, is there any way to know what exactly the interior is supposed to be and what exactly the body color etc should be without the warranty plate?

2. hvywrench

hvywrench
    from N.W. Conn.

Without being able to tell you exactly how to confirm, or exactly answering your question:
    Your colors are the same as mine and I know that I haven't painted my '64 XL. It sounds correct to me. No vinyl roof on mine.

3. hvywrench

hvywrench
    from N.W. Conn.

Hey! Lookie there, I'm no longer an FNG! Whaddya know?!
    This most definitely calls for a beverage of the barley and hops genre.

4. xhotrodder

xhotrodder

A lot of times the Factory puts a build sheet under the base of the rear seat. I'd look there to see if you can find anything. Good luck.

5. big john d

big john d
    from ma

call 18003923673 and ask for a 999report have your vin ready for them

6. big john d

big john d
    from ma

sorry 999 reports are only for fords

7. northerndave

northerndave
    from Badger MN

um, this is a ford.

is this a real thing?

(999 report?)

8. rcoffey

rcoffey

9. hvywrench

hvywrench
    from N.W. Conn.

I just did a Google search on it and it is real, sometimes called a 'build report'. Some discussion as to how far back it goes, maybe only to '67. Also some discussion a year or so ago about the correct phone number.
    Suggest you use Google and decide if you want to try it.
    Bill

10. northerndave

northerndave
    from Badger MN

I found some of that discussion too and found instructions on how to use an online contact (email) to request this from ford...

only problem is the serial number seems to be too old because it didn't recognize the number as a valid entry for the VIN data field.

I guess a phone call is the way to go for that.

11. alaskaal

alaskaal
    from Delaware

Sounds like a keeper to me!

12. northerndave

northerndave
    from Badger MN

I've considered parting the dang thing out but in recent years i have followed a few restoration projects online where people are putting forward some amazing efforts to save some cars that really look "too far gone".

Those types of builds are inspiring and there are more repro panels being stamped for these cars these days too.

I have a 64 4 door donor if needed which has far better floors/supports etc.

The floors are the real challenge for my 2 door.

If I could find a build thread for a 64 that showed someone putting these new repro floor pans in, it would really help give an idea how far the pans reach and how well they would work for my car.

13. You can get just about anything for the 64 Galaxie from places like dearbornclassics.com and other suppliers. Those are too nice looking of a car to part out unless its eat completely up with rust. XLs are not that common in the places I go so it is worth fixing up.

14. travisfromkansas

travisfromkansas

You can check with the Ford Galaxie Club of America. Lots of people in the club that have restored a 63-64. I havent had to do the floors on mine so I'm of no help sorry.

15. northerndave

northerndave
    from Badger MN

Thanks everybody. I know I'll be scrounging for some parts used like rear bumper and interior door handle (XL handles are different, I haven't seen them repopped and I have a broken one)

But it's all there with good glass all around, good stainless trim, grill, front bumper... It's just really bad in the floor area, trunk floor is about gone completely.

I have the 4 door donor that I can rob a bunch of floor pans out of, I can probably save the entire trunk floor from the 4 door car and move it to the 2 dr XL.

(problem is the 4 dr is a titled running car :( )

It's going to be a big job and I have 3 cars lined up in front of it, my 69 roadrunner is occupying the shop now with a 51 ford tudor and a 54 chev 210 2 dr waiting their turns.

So it could be a while but it's fun to think there may be hope for the old galaxie.

16. BOWTIE BROWN

BOWTIE BROWN

I saved a '64 galaxie because of the 2-door hardtop. Nice lookin body lines. Still working on it , doing interior now. I think they are worth saving & iam a BOWTIE man.

Attached Files:

17. nabby98

nabby98
    from Amana, IA

Also check out fordmuscleforums.com if you havent yet. They have a galaxie specific forum and I browse thru it every day or 2. Good bunch that know these big fords inside and out. The rear bumper is gonna be tough and/or expensive. Check your frame over good they are prone to rusting out. I rescued my 64 ragtop, and have been slowly piling parts up for it.

18. Judd

Judd

19. Rear Bumpers are pretty pricey as they are sought after so if you find a cheap one that is a good thing. If you are looking for the "dagger handle" interior door handles find someone parting out a 64 Mercury Park Lane, they use the same ones. Good Luck they are nice cars.

20. What side door handle are you needing? I may have one in my leftover parts box.I used to have a 64XL convertible and have some small parts. Still have a plain jane Galaxie 428/4speed.

21. northerndave

northerndave
    from Badger MN

Driver's side handle is what I need for interior door handle.

Thanks again for the help everybody.

Dave

22. northerndave

northerndave
    from Badger MN

I'd have to say there is NOTHING "plain jane" about a 428/4spd car.

but I know what you meant.

lol!

23. I will take a look through my junk and see if thats what I have. I will PM you if I do have one.

24. customrod48

customrod48

I found my build sheet behind the door panel on my "64

25. northerndave

northerndave
    from Badger MN

Thanks!

Well lets hope for passenger door then because the drivers door has been swapped out with a different car.

The seats have been recovered which really narrows my chances of finding a build sheet. I pulled the rear seat some years back looking for a build sheet, no dice, just mice...

:grin:

I doubt I'll find a build sheet in it. The only time I find build sheets are when i'm tearing down parts cars/trucks lol!

My XL has air too, forgot to mention. It looks like a dealer install though.

Still cool though.

Here's a crappy picture of the old POS sitting next to my shop one spring.

[​IMG]

26. EXracer64

EXracer64
    from nj

Dont give up on her!! These cars are awesome, not many XL's out there. Heres my XL...

[​IMG]

27. EXracer64

EXracer64
    from nj

If you look on the fenders, the emblems even say 500XL on your car. Not saying they couldnt be changed but i highly doubt it.

28. northerndave

northerndave
    from Badger MN

Wow that's a beauty!!

Yeah I'm possitive I have a real XL, the vin tells me that much (4G68Z)

4=1964
    G=chicago
    68=500XL 2 dr fastback
    Z=390 4 barrel (300 hp I think?)

29. SOHC427

SOHC427

Northerndavem trunk pans are out there, as floor pans. It's a job, but not like the cowls on a mustang, or door posts on old Bronco's.
    4 speed XL's are cool, and pretty rare. Is yours a top loader, or a T-10?
    Z code is a 300 hp 390, and I have had one for 31 years, and a R code for 29 years, and think they are one of the best looking Fords built!
    Eric

30. northerndave

northerndave
    from Badger MN

Yes it's a toploader. Engine and trans are all there, someone robbed the cap and rotor years ago, I've never tried to run the engine but it's not stuck. I turn the crank every now and then to make sure she aint stuck.

I really like the car, I worry a little bit about the repro floor pans reaching far enough to the rocker and kick panel area but I suppose they must cover all the way to the original panel edges?

I know you can piece together front and rear halves of the quarters, and I see that someone is finally making trunk to quarter extensions, that's really awesome. Weith every new repro part released I'm one puzzle piece closer to a realistic project with this car.

I know I could have just made floor panels for it but I'm pretty happy there are stamped panels available for the car now.