Register now to get rid of these ads!

Coddington question.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by new wave terror, Jun 19, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. new wave terror

new wave terror

I remember a while back there was a feature in the rodders journal of Boyd Coddingtons sons car.I believe it was an aluminum body perhaps with a lakes grill and a flathead.Pretty basic but it looked rad.Does anyone have pics of this?Possibly the article you could post from TRJ.

2. djmartins

djmartins

*whew*
    I thought this one was another Coddington hate thread bait...
    Sorry, I don't have that article.

regards,
    Doug

3. Was it this car?

4. guiseart

guiseart

HOLY CRAP!!! There ain't a DAMN thing wrong with that! The world is now all confusing to me.. getting dizzy... I need a shot.

5. drhotrodmd

drhotrodmd

Didn't that car have a drilled tube front axle too?

6. Avoid the Boyd

7. RocketDaemon

RocketDaemon
    from Sweden

whats your point?

8. JamesG

JamesG

I think Boyd and his son are totally different when it comes to taste.

9. Hackerbilt

Hackerbilt

Yeah maybe...that is the coolest looking "Cod-Car" I've ever seen.

But I'll tell ya one thing Duane...

That damn frame better be boxed or he's out of here!

10. 50flathead

50flathead
    from Iowa, USA

So what's the chance of an episode being made with this theme? Badd Ass!

11. Boyd's son (Greg) is a die hard traditional hot rod nut.

Cool guy.

JH

12. Nightfire

Nightfire
    from Canada

Yeah that was one of their better episodes. Mike built a pretty nice truck. Too bad it broke down at the end, otherwise he woulda beaten Boyd in both competitions, both the race and the car show. He did win the car show though so that was cool.

Mike

13. Too bad Greg didn't build that car.

The article from TRJ was on their site at one time.
    It may still be there,definately protected by copyright,
    so copying it here wouldn't be cool.

14. new wave terror

new wave terror

Thats the car.Thanks alot.That things amazing.So simple yet it makes such a statement.It was actually on TRJ at one time but they took it down and put some new features up.One of wich is Von Francos golden rod.I think they actually update it once a year or year and a half.Haha.Anyone seen the new one with the bare metal RPU in it?Its kind of kept traditional asides from all the CNC machining.Gorgeous little car though.Baby hemi in her.Thanks for all that posted

15. squigy

squigy
    from SO.FLO.

it was built by Anthony for Gregg Coddington.it also says Anthony would not sell the car unless Anthony was able to finish it.Good thing!that thing is as wide as the flathead motor.the Rodders Journal #19 has the whole article.
    i always like that car,i wonder where it is now???

16. Johnny Ace

Johnny Ace

....completely built by Anthony Castaneda,to his own specs.....
    Don't forget his Brown Neck Bandito...

17. Bass

Bass
    from Dallas, TX

I saw it last summer in one of the side buildings at Boyd's...I imagine it's still there. Pictures do not convey how tiny that car actually is.

And yeah...from what I know, Greg is a pretty cool guy.

18. Funny. I was reading that article last night......dunno how the aluminium A is that "traditional" as is continually referred to in the article...?

TRJ 19 is the one, as previously stated.

19. brandokust

brandokust

HOLY CRAP, the guy that built that was raised by Boyd. That proves it, there is a god.

wheeldog57 likes this.
  20. No...

21. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

Before I decided to add a post, I read all of them 1st.
    Anthony Casteneda purchased the track nose @ the Hi Perf Swap in Long Beach CA. I was eyeing it, but past it up. a few mins later Anthony has it in his hand cruisin over the his yellow/white 57 Long bed Ford P/U & throws it in the bed.
    I'm glad he bought it. I inquired on what he was going to build and he said a lil track nose car. he mocked it up & hung in the rafters of his "Orange County Rod & Custom Shop" Next time I saw it, it was on the shop floor next to Markie's Purple People Eater in the pre-mock stage and Anthony was working feverishly on the "Brown Neck Bandito", was trying to make it to Paso. He did!
    A lil while later he said the he sold it to Greg & was gonna finish it up.
    Greg is not anything like his father,infact, he's a direct oposite. he hangs with guys that go to the lakes(He's rolled A coupe out there) Spends his time cutting his teeth with the "Hard Core types" His father on the other hand is a total Schmuck! In that same issue of TRJ where they are comparing Father & Son differences in style, there is the all aluminum 29 A Truck. I lent him the cab to do that truck. It was suppoesed to be a roadster/p/u? He borrowed the cab twice, both times I delivered it, went to see it @ Marcel's and noticed that either one of Boy'd Dicks or Marcel's Boys whacked my hinges off my totally bitchen stock cab and cut into the A pillar for test fitting of shapes while they were at it. Boyd-the A-hole never said a word about this & when I went to pick it up I was treated like shit, I saw my hinges laying in the seat riser & went into his office, and he denied having anything to with it, he told me to bill him,(Like I'm gonna find somebody to bill this A-hole?)
    Cabs still sitting on my 32 BB stake bed, hinges where they left them!
    Now when I see this article in Rodders Journal re: these two vehicles one would think I'd get some ink for lending him the cab in 1st place. Look for yourself, there is nothing stated about who lent him the cab, but there is a picture of some stocker A-bone in the background which didn't have anything to do with this truck.Sounds like I'm pissed right:confused: Go try & register a paperless car in the State of Calif. now, and see what happens. No man, he's not my friend. I see stickers floating around our type of car scene stating "Avoid the Boyd" hell yes I'm going to avoid the Boyd,:mad: I don't even watch that OCC type of "Fake Rod" trash.
    His son on the other hand had that very same lil modified @ the Antique Nats a few weeks back. My hats off to him for driving his car.
    Nuff said!

22. What about Boyd's red-headed step-son's car?

[​IMG]

23. 54BOMB

54BOMB

A Few years ago there was a magazine called Hotrod delux and it had the Choppers CC in it, Mike Ness and an article on Boyds son running his scooter shop, showed his 51? chevy and stuff. Is that the same guy? A friend of mine said Boyd had a son that was killed in a wreck at the dry lake beds? Is that true?

24. AZAV8

AZAV8
    from Tucson, AZ

Anthony did a great job on the car.

When you see what goes on during the "Boyd Show", you can see the underlying personalities. Consider the fact that Boyd's ex-wife is the book keeper and his current wife works there at the same time.

You won't see Charlie the paint shop supervisor anymore. He works for Chip Foose now. Check out the July issue of Street Rod Builder. He's on page 30. He painted Foose's Riddler Award winner. So he's been gone for a while. I'd heard that Charlie had gotten tired of the show at Boyd's and left.

Maybe someday TV will portray building hot rods as it really is. Good people working together creatively on something they love. Boy, is that wishful thinking!

AZAV8

25. KIRK!

KIRK!

Now it all makes sense.

26. RF

RF

Kevin, there's more to it than that. We (Anthony and I) bought that '27 T body at 5am from German Mike @ Long Beach for $150 (Anthony got the aluminum nose there, too, just like you said). We sat the body in our swap spot with the nose mocked up with a hood that came with it. We could have sold it for a grand ten times! The plan was to build basically what Anthony ended up building. He got a pair of cut up '32 rails, misc. '37 Ford parts (engine/axle/etc.) and started piecing it together. The more I looked at it, the more I realized that the body was just too small, so I told Anthony to keep it (like my $75 made a difference!). Greg pretty much wanted it all along, so...

It's not a car you want to drive across country, but Greg and his larger-than-normal nuts have put plenty of miles on it.

27. hopsing

hopsing

Charlie hasnt been at Boyds since before the SEMA show '04. He was asked to paint a couple of Cadillacs for Foose for SEMA. Thats why he's not at Boyds anymore.

28. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

It's the same one, but his kid didn't get killed, just banged up along the guy that owned the coupe as I remember,Greg was driving,we're not talking small injuries, we're hospital time. The Codington Clan is intact as far as I know. :rolleyes:

29. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

That's whole truth & nothing but the truth!
    I'll try to swing by Jimmy's this Wednesday for grub, so ring me up so we can have a chat.;)

30. RF

RF

Stuck in a meeting Wednesday from 11-3!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.