Register now to get rid of these ads!

Vin # w/ new frame help

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by farmergal, Jan 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. farmergal

farmergal
    from somewhere

Hello All

We are going to try and sell our all original rolling , running chassis from our Model A. Of course everyone who is interested wants the title and vin# that go along with it. So how do we go about registering the car if we sell the chassis with the info for the vin? Wouldn't we pretty much screw ourselves by doing that? We live in CT; land of the hellish DMV, etc so we're not really sure how to go about this...never done it before.

We would have to take it half way across the state to a head DMV department where it would have to pass their hellish inspection requirements, lots of money and then it would be titled as composite 2012 ford coupe....not a 1930 ford coupe

So wtf do we do?

Any and all insight is appreciated. We were going to sell the entire chassis with engine and trans just to rid ourselves of it but if it comes down to it we're going to have to keep the frame; sell off everything else on it and then scrap it to prevent it from opping up anywhere else in the entire "system" because we'd be the ones getting screwed...perhaps??

2. F&J

F&J

Don't you dare sell the frame with the title to the car.

You sure don't want to have your car go through Weathersfield DMV as a "composite". It may never pass inspection.

The frame; grind off the numbers. sell it for what you can.

3. farmergal

farmergal
    from somewhere

4. Cruiser

Cruiser

Keep your VIN and title for your new build, there hard to come by so keep them. Sell all the stock stuff off the frame as parts and sit the frame aside. Once you title the new frame in your state the VIN on the stock frame will be useless. You might be able to sell the stock frame to someone after you destroy the VIN on the stock frame.

CRUISER :cool:

Last edited: Jan 25, 2012

5. brokenspoke

brokenspoke

6. No, no, no, no, no.

CUT OUT the portion of the rail with the VIN on it and KEEP IT. If possible, WELD IT INTO THE NEW FRAME. Clean up the welds, let it flash rust on both sides (unless it's boxed and hidden inside), then clean it up and paint it.

7. farmergal

farmergal
    from somewhere

since the engine matches the numbers on the frame would it be okay to let that go?

8. Cruiser

Cruiser

Good idea................CRUISER :cool:

9. Gerg

Gerg

wow i didn't realize that was legal i will remember that for my next car

10. farmergal

farmergal
    from somewhere

big grey areas, big grey areas.....try to stick to the grey areas. Was hoping to get money from the frame being sold as a complete roller but guess thats not an option

Last edited: Jan 25, 2012
  11. Tomcats30

Tomcats30

I'd recommend you keep both the engine and frame. Yours match...thats hard to find.

Don't give anyone a chance to use your numbers!

12. F&J

F&J

No way I'd sell the complete chassis with a readable motor number here in Ct. You know already, that we don't need titles. Someone most likely will reuse that number to get an A back on the road.

Sure you can say that there are plenty of A motors for sale with numbers still readable, but you would be selling a complete running chassis with a bill of sale stating that it is a chassis. I don't trust people when it comes to that.

13. farmergal

farmergal
    from somewhere

then we'd grind off the number :) on everything :)

14. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

He beat me to it. I'd say not only no but hell no to selling the frame and the title. The title is worth a lot more than the whole stock chassis at the current time and that is actually what most guys are interested in.

15. bentbaggerlen

bentbaggerlen

Just went though this in CT. And I got my plates:)

have you already taken the original car apart? and started building your project?

If not... Take your car, even if it has to be towed or trailered to a VIN check station, ask around some are more then willing to help you out then not.
    The car dose not have to run, or even look like it dose...

once you get the VIN check, get the required insurance and head to DMV, and get the car registered. There is no inspection required of the car. If you like send me a PM

Don't sell your title!

If you already pulled the body of the chassis... and your not to far along... put it back on

16. Bilt

Bilt

I would keep the title as said above. In Kansas if you get the state to attach a new vin to the car it will then be registered as the year which they attach the vin....ie 2012. I would rather my paperwork say the original year.

17. farmergal

farmergal
    from somewhere

well if we have to get it registered as a 2012 then it has to go through absolutely misersable state inspections...and it wont ever pass if we build it as a hot rod the way we want it. dont want it registered as a composite 2012 either... :) I guess we're keeping everything right now and it is what it is. thanks for all the help

18. Tomcats30

Tomcats30

IMO...do not sell or grind the orig numbers off of your frame/engine.

In a title state like MA you might need them for VIN verification.
    If it's been messed with your taking a big risk.

19. farmergal

farmergal
    from somewhere

we will make sure its registered and already gone through that process before we removed anything and sold it.

20. DualQuad55

DualQuad55
    from NH

A friend had his A coupe registered in MA for about 3 yrs when he got a notice to turn in his plates as the car 'was sold' to some one else. Long story short, he used the stock A vin for his coupe, used a 32 frame etc...
    The person who bought his old engine/frame combo put a stocker back on the road with it. Using the stock vin from the frame and matching engine.
    My friend was S.O.L. and lost the argument. He had to locate a title elsewhere and re-register his car with a new (to him) vin.
    With out the actual VIN, all you have is a Model A body, not an automobile.

21. Keep them both (the original eng and frame).

Once you have done all you need to do to get your title (or whatever you want to call it) and insurance and plates ... you need to STILL KEEP THEM BOTH.

When it comes time to sell ("Oh noooooo, this ones a keeper" :rolleyes:) you may need them in order to verify the vin (either you or the new owner).

Rules/laws change frequently ... if (down the road) you are required to submit to a vin check and you have sold off every item from your car that actually has the correct numbers (stamped by Ford, NOT by you) you might find yourself in a heap of trouble.

Picture this ... cop pulls you over for no fenders ... turns out a Model A coupe has been reported stolen during the last 6 months ... the cop decides he wants to check your title/ownership against the numbers on your car ... UH OH, unfortunately you don't have any numbers (original Ford stamping) anywhere on your car ... guess who's vehicle just might get impounded this evening.

Do what you will, but I think it would be foolish to sell the frame or the engine block.

22. mattcrp1

mattcrp1

thats probably the best advice, I have verified a few of these here in CA and the DMV is very strict on this. I have heard about others "making" numbers so you definately dont want to have an unumbered car on the road as someone else mentioned. As a vin verifier i have to physically see the numbers, yes lift the body on these, and document them. good luck to you and let us know how it goes.

23. A Rodder

A Rodder

I wonder if you can do what was stated above and go one step further with the Vin inspection. Can you have it verified and then have the dmv issue a plate or sticker with the state seal on it with your Vin number stamped on it and attach it to the interior body post?

My tudor has a Washington state issued Vin number that is on a sticker that is attached inside the a pillar door jamb. Something to consider looking into.

If you could do this the then sell your frame and engine with the numbers ground off.

24. farmergal

farmergal
    from somewhere

Yes we are going to Keep the vin and the paperwork for our use when the new chassis is done. Figured it's cheaper and less time consuming to buy a new manufactured chassis that is already boxed and set up to handle a Nailhead so thats why we're selling off the original.

Boyfriend works in a garage and they can do vin verifications right there. He is going to bring the car to work; and their going to lift the body up and record everything right there before we do any work to it.

I think we might lean towards parting out the chassis. sucks to have to go this route but it is what it is

Sorry for the stupid lame-o newbie questions. Never had to do this before so its all new. Thanks for the insight....

25. farmergal

farmergal
    from somewhere

HA! State of CT put any extra effort in to produce a forma;, state sealed sticker?? HA! that would require too much time and effort for them and it would further prevent them from being the pain in the asses that they are

26. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

Wishing you luck Farmergal
    I want to see this build happen

One question to the masses for ya that I havent seen covered

Will the DMV be happy about 30-31 original A numbers being welded or stamped on to a new manufactured 32 frame? that dont come with any numbers on them, and isnt originally a 30-31 frame?
    and if so how will that still be a Model A frame you would have under your body?
    how does the DMV justify this move?

inquiring minds want to know how this works? I may run into this someday soon but im thinking my state would call that "tampering"?

teach me, dont bitch at me for not knowing..thanks

Last edited: Jan 26, 2012
  27. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

Years ago a friend sent his wife down to the Texas DMV with a handful of Model A titles to transfer to their name. One of them, 29 A Roadster, was rejected because the VIN number was registered to a 31 Coupe in nearby Deer Park TX.
    These titles were all issued just after WWII and were trade-ins at a Ford dealership in East Texas. The engine out of that 29 ended up being the current ID for a 31 some 30 years later.

28. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

I wonder about mine too, new '32 frame with a '29 body on it. Do I register it as a '29? Or as a '32?
    I'm going to register it as a '29 as thats what it identifies with, but if someday a '32 coupe body came along and I wanted to swap.......... I guess I'd have a deuce coupe titled as a '29.

BTW... I have a '29 frame with numbers, no titling and I'm hanging onto it until I feel secure in letting it go (if ever)

29. choptvan

choptvan

ding ding ding! We have a winner. This is the only way to do it IMO. Trying to match an original stamp is near impossible. This looks more authentic. Make sure you place it in the same spot as factory as well.

30. farmergal

farmergal
    from somewhere

^^^^ but its very illegal to do it that way!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.