Register now to get rid of these ads!

What Front SHock Mounts R U using on your full fendered A

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by lrs30, Jan 25, 2012.

1. lrs30

lrs30
    from Kentucky

Ok I got the rear-end finished :rolleyes:, now on to the front.. I have a set of F-1 shock mounts and P&J shocks ready to use. I am curious to see and read how others have done it. What you guys have used, and do's and don'ts before I tackle this part of the build. Also would like to hear what shocks you guys are using and the way you mounted them.. And as always pics are always welcome.... Thanks, Ryan

2. lrs30

lrs30
    from Kentucky

hmmmmmmmmm.. stupid question?

3. junk yard kid

junk yard kid

no its not stupid. i dont know how it would work youd have to bend out the upper mounts but then the shocks would be vertical.

4. synchro7

synchro7

I'm using rear ones from a 69 VW bug. I pressed the steel sleeve out of the bottom bushing so the bushing would fit the pirch bolt mount. Shortened that sleeve 3/8" and replaced the top sleeve with it to work with my homemade upper mount.

5. 1gearhead

1gearhead

Attached is a photo of the combination shock/Headlamp that I have used and really like. The are made by Pete & Jakes of chromoloy. The mounts take care of the upper shock mount as well as the headlamp. They are welded to the frame rail and are gusseted to increase strength. What I like most about then is that when used on an open wheel car the shock/headlamp mount picks up the same shape/line as the axle. As a result they look like they belong together.

Attached Files:

6. chopt top kid

chopt top kid

I used the pete&jake's front shock mounts on my full fendered tudor. They worked fine and looked good. You can bend the f1 mounts to clear the fender and use them. Here is a pic that I borrowed from another thread.

[​IMG]

7. That pic is from a thread where the shock is going to be in tge way of the steering arm. Post a pic of your working setup, not a disfunctional one.

8. hammeredt

hammeredt

Isn't what your really wanted to say is "Your stupid. Now I feel better about myself."

Your post would have been more useful if YOU posted a pic of a working setup since you seem to have some knowledge of other posts on similar topics.

Remember, though the internet is faceless, there are people behind the posts. You should treat them like you would in person. You are no bigger a man with a computer and email account as you are in real life.

9. 31HotRodLincoln

31HotRodLincoln

I've got the same issue...no pics either...sorry, your gonna need to cut them shorter and heat them up and bend to fit then weld them back together, looks do-able.

10. lrs30

lrs30
    from Kentucky

The heating thing is not a problem thats what we are thinking, The only problem I am seeing is using the F-1 mount in place of the fender support, and then moving the support forward which will work better also because i want to lower the headlight bar.. I am very curious to see how others have done it... ANY ONE ANY ONE ..... I'd love to see some pics of some finished running full fendered cars and how you guys did it... Ryan

11. Useful ? ? Like this POS drama inciting post .

Actually what I ment to say is exactly what I said.

That pic is from a thread where the OP clearly is having an issue on his fendered car. It doesn't work. This one;
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=653528

Last edited: Jan 25, 2012
  12. Canuck

Canuck

Not the best picture, but.

[​IMG]

Mounts designed to fit under 28/29 fenders. Top shaft is set to intersect the pivot point of the radius rod. Shocks are So-Cal. Bottom mounts are Deuce Factory. Brackets bolt to the frame through two threaded sleeves welded into the frame from side to side. One bolt is hidden under bracket in front view.

Tried using a set of F1 mounts, but could not get a mounting and bend that I liked so I made up these.

Canuck

13. lrs30

lrs30
    from Kentucky

Canuck that looks like a good set up

14. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

I use Welder series Front A shock mounts, welded em up and on my frame taking into conciteration that my fenders would be going back on when I mounted them, they work great

15. lrs30

lrs30
    from Kentucky

Thanks Von I will look into that set up also

16. lrs30

lrs30
    from Kentucky

Could you post a pic of your set up please? I would like to see how it looks on there.... ryan

17. A Rodder

A Rodder

Although I haven't a pic. My 30 31 Tudor is like the pic above. My upper mounts are a tad shorter and closer to the frame though. I use a Pete and jakes shock that appears to be an inch or so shorter than vons also.

18. lrs30

lrs30
    from Kentucky

Are your shocks angled back? I think mine if vertical will run into the fender support.. I will have to look into that.. The welder series seems like a easy fix to my prob... Thanks

19. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

Slightly, mostly due to the 7 degree caster i have in the axle , the shocks will also need to be kicked back a bit at the top, in order not to allow them any possible bind , they travel the same path as the axle so they shouldnt fight the plane of travel they are in..does that make sense?

Last edited: Jan 26, 2012
  20. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

I don't have a picture of these mounted on a car right now, and it wouldn't be topical anyway because it's fenderless, but these are made by and offered be ElPolacko here on the H.A.M.B. They can be cut down and shaped however you need them to be shaped to clear fenders or what ever you need to clear. I have them mounted on one customers car with pre '65 VW shocks and they are nearly perfect.

Attached Files:

• 791.JPG
      791.JPG
      File size:
      132.2 KB
      Views:
    • 794.JPG
      794.JPG
      File size:
      137.4 KB
      Views:
  21. lrs30

lrs30
    from Kentucky

I'm heading to the garage to get some shit done this weekend,, I hope.... I will take pics of my progress and post them..

22. Ghost28

Ghost28

These all look good, but I am trying to use a lower speedway shock mount, and longer spring perches, with 40 ford bones and there is not enough thread left to be safe. Is there another longer threaded spring perch, or another way to mount the lower portion of the shock off the axle safely?