Register now to get rid of these ads!

misused discriptions that irritate or annoy you

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rustdodger, Aug 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LN7 NUT

LN7 NUT

I just emailed him too, I asked very politely if he has any 32 Ford parts for sale... :rolleyes:

If someone is a know it all who actually knows it all so be it... but a no nothing know it all who is a total prick who is unwilling to accept any other concepts bugs me.

I keep getting asked for GMC parts lately for peoples Chevies... and every time I ask why specifically GMC parts I get the same story... "GMC's are a gauge thicker then a Chevrolet..." :(

2. trimph1

trimph1

OK...that is a new one on me. ...a gauge thicker than a Chev...???:confused:

That ad reminds me of one fellow who advertised a 1955 Olds Special...turned out it was a 1955 Ford ...never mind the rest of it....:confused:

3. LN7 NUT

LN7 NUT

Yeah... a lot of old farts are convinced that GMC's have all sorts of special things about them that are not based in reality... like thicker body steel, thicker frames, thicker glass I've even heard... heavier bearings, heavier springs, even thicker bumpers... it's fun asking them to prove it! :D

4. carsluTT

carsluTT

"OBO" that gets me...... i see this in a add and think to my self the person offering this item for sale has no idea what it is worth or doesn't need to sell it. either something is X amount or its not. to me putting OBO is like saying "i dont know how to sell stuff". this OBO gets used so much i worry the next time i go to vote im going to see "OBO" as a option on the ballet. i understand most used items can be negotiated for the final price, butting OBO is not a negotiating tacit in my book.

5. LN7 NUT

LN7 NUT

When I don't post OBO on a car I am selling I get no offers at all because people think I want the exact price quoted and nothing else, but with OBO I often get a lower offer, then counter with a less low offer and everyone goes home happy, or I often get offered trades plus a little less then what I was asking for the vehicle, it opens it up for people to make wiggle room forthemselves if they can't pay your price.

6. fiftee6effie

fiftee6effie

What annoyes me is almost every old car or truck advertised for sale says original miles and always it's under 100,000 miles. Ya right how many fifty year old vehicles only have 60,70,80 thousand miles on it! Unless it's been documented done say it!

7. oldpl8s

oldpl8s

I hate car sellers who don't post at least a photo of the exterior, interior and engine. I can also do without some fat skank in skimpy clothes draped over the car as if she adds to the appeal. Placing the trophies you won at the local Kiwanis car show in the photo doesn't make it look like a Pebble Beach winner.

8. LN7 NUT

LN7 NUT

I just saw one that grates on me... 1930 Chevrolet 4 door Coupe.... 4 DOOR COUPE...

I've attached a screenshot of it, I elided the phone number from the ad but the post number is still there...

Attached Files:

9. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I emailed him too, with the exact production dates for the Model A. No response.

10. LN7 NUT

LN7 NUT

As did I, some guys have no sense of humour! ;)

11. steve283

steve283
    from cincinnati

I admit I have been guilty of many of these infractions.But more to be understood by others.If I ask for slip jointed pliers I will just need to explain myself and wait for the channel-locks.or vicegrips or what ever.
    I use the term "BarnFind" to label my car,and its obvious this was never in a barn,but it was salvaged from a field or yard at some point.
    I think a lot of these terms are just us giving up and using their terms.Me? I admit I'm lazy.And if you insist on calling it a hot rod or spinner,or the jargon of the gearheaded.I will comply,and not worry about it.and yeh,I misspell and forget to correct grammer and so on,but I try to get the point across.

12. 32 duece .... redundant.

13. LN7 NUT

LN7 NUT

...calling every single pre-fat fender car a Model T is only excusable if you are under 9 years of age, if you are older and get mad when I say my car is not a model T and tell me I am wrong I will take that as an invitation to introduce your eye to my fork...

14. cshades

cshades
    from wi

I saw a 1940 chevy truck listed on ebay as 1939 so i sent the guy a email so he could correct his ad and he sent me about 3 emails telling me how stupid i was.Then sent me another asking what the difference was, so i told him and he told me he had an expert look at it so i was wrong.

15. cshades

cshades
    from wi

I was always told gmcs had lock washers and chevies didn't

16. GMCs originally cost $49 less than Chevrolets ..... the guy shoulda referenced his window sticker. LOL

17. CutawayAl

CutawayAl
    from MI

........ and that Cadillacs are Chevies with chrome lock washers.:D

Seriously, I have an old Cadillac, so I do like them. Not to take thois off topic; unlike today when the only difference between some cars is a few details and a nameplate, older Cadillacs shared quite a few parts with Olds and Buick, but you wouldn't know that by looking at them.

18. Hot Rod Elvis

Hot Rod Elvis

I just looked at a junked 55 Ford post on craigslist. The car is upside down surrounded by trees deep in the woods as it looks in the pictures. Anyway, the guys just wants it off his property and wrote this, which I am copying and pasting. "I don't know the model for sure but it is one of the following: Mainline Customline Tudor Fairlane Crown Victoria Skyliner Sunliner" Ya really think so?

19. LN7 NUT

LN7 NUT

That's hilarious! Any chance you could PM me the link? I'd love to see the photo.

20. von Dyck

von Dyck

Only one example of a frequent occurrence in rodding magazines: March 2012 StreetRodder, p.30, Syracuse Nationals coverage shows a primered '32 three window running a 324ci Caddy mill. The General never built such an engine except for Oldsmobile. The picture shows it to be Olds.

21. seabeecmc

seabeecmc
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

32 duece is just plain dumb. How about 32 Deuce? Ron

22. Dakota Kid

Dakota Kid

Is that a 1932 Model A?

23. sunbeam

sunbeam

I don't know how many corvettes were were made in the 50s and 60s but there are way to many corvette engines being sold. Saw an add last week 64 corvette 283.

24. Hot Rod Elvis

Hot Rod Elvis

I just went back to look for it, and it wasn't on there. Either some idiot thought it was a deal, or he took it off.;)

25. Hi welcome to Auto Zone... may I help you?

26. .. talk to my hand.

27. "upgraded to IFS " ... when the car, like most, came from the factory with independent front suspension.

28. seabeecmc

seabeecmc
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Oh, OK Mr. Hand, good luck getting that GED. Warmest Regards, Ron

29. Kaptain Kustom

Kaptain Kustom
    from Finland

Many words are so commonly misspelled on the internet, that it's a lot of work trying to avoid forgetting how to spell the English words you already knew... Yeah, I find it irritating and annoying; I'm not a native English speaker, my English is not great, and I'd like to improve, not worsen it by reading and writing.

BTW, I finally got me a signature. I think it's hilarious! :p I'm sure the writer was dead serious. It's also funny, that no-one on the thread it was written on seemed to notice.

30. deuce354

deuce354

5 Window Model A

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.