Register now to get rid of these ads!

soldering stainless ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 54 savoy, Jan 25, 2012.

1. 54 savoy

54 savoy

i broke some some tabs off my stainless door panel trim,will it discolor the trim if i solder some new tabs on there? thanks,

2. Willy301

Willy301

I don't think soldering will hold. probably have to get someone to tig weld them back on. It might discolor slightly in some areas, but is easily buffed and polished off.

3. yellow dog

yellow dog
    from san diego

4. You can also MIG weld stainless......quite easy to do......just grind down or file the welds and polish......

5. chevsotolac

chevsotolac

Take it to a shop that does SILVER SOLDERING....it will not discolor the trim but will need to be rebuffed....very easy to mess up so rely on a good shop.....stan

6. metal man

metal man

Yes, soldering will discolor the SS, but will buff right back to a nice polish. As stated,use silver if you solder it, but your best bet may be to to have it T.I.G welded.

I'd be glad to T.I.G them or silver solder them for you if you send them up here.

And yes,that stuff is very thin and easy to ruin. Whoever does it should be highly experienced.

7. chaddilac

chaddilac

8. cheveey57

cheveey57

9. desotot

desotot

silver solder or jb

10. 54 savoy

54 savoy

jb weld,i gotta try that stuff my buddy uses it like i do duct tape and zip ties, i seriously thought about monkey glue,thanks metal man,i was born in akron ohio by the way,i've had a soldering gun in the package for years and i need something to do in my basement while it's cold out,will check out silver solder,thanks for all the replies.

11. 54 savoy

54 savoy

thank you too yellow dog, after i get some practice on soldering i'm going to check out brazing,

12. CutawayAl

CutawayAl
    from MI

Only an EXPERT welder can do a neat, precise, and relatively distortion-free weld on thin stainless. Silver brazing isn't as strong as a good weld, but should be fine for this. Also, silver brazing is less likely to cause heat damage to the stainless alloy. All silver solder/braze is not the same. Make sure to select a brazing alloy and flux that are compatible with the material. You will need to buff off some heat discoloration, but properly done, nothing more than that.

13. sobpunx

sobpunx

Be care full soldering in a closed area the fumes will make you pretty sick, ask me how I know....

14. 54 savoy

54 savoy

the tabs are on the back of the trim so once they are attached they will never be seen,thanks for the heads up sob,so... how do you know?

15. sobpunx

sobpunx

I did a patch on a radiator that I droped a hammer on, I didn't think about the fumes and sat right over it while I soldered it up, I missed a few days of work sitting in the bathroom puking....

16. F&J

F&J

You bring up a good point about fumes.....but from the flux on silver solder. It is supposed to be very toxic.

I never googled for the truth, but i have been told of that for decades.

17. 54 savoy

54 savoy

18. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

Make sure, as well as using the correct silver solder, to use the right flux, it must be a strong one to do stainless.
    Check the Tinman's site (Kent White), he's got some info on welding/soldering/brazing, of all different metals, and the flux and correct solder to do it.