Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Nice Place

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Jan 25, 2012.

1. striper

striper

I'm glad he didn't. I just KNOW he would have ended up in jail if that had happened.

And that attorney....he's no help at all

2. As amazing as all those images are, number 12......the black 28/9 on 32 rails....:eek: ......any of you down under guys, or the Mighty RHC ,or his trusted barrister, got any more pics of that little sweetheart roadster??

3. Jimmy Tee

Jimmy Tee

Melbourne has some of the best Victorian, Edwardian, Gothic & Deco Architechture you will see anywhere in the world. Heritage Laws have protected a lot of our buildings being demolished during the 70's craze of erecting Aluminum & Cladding Nightmares..... Glad you appreciated the Architechture Ryan.

If you would like to see more of the show inside the building, I had started this thread... http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=664177

4. Acme Speed Shop

Acme Speed Shop
    from so cal

Nice work Ryan. Now get back home we have work to do.

5. grumm441

grumm441
    from Melbourne

It is a great building
    My Girl works next door in the Melbourne Museum
    Under the Royal exhibition buildings there is whole lot of space where the museum stores stuff and the scientists work.It also has a huge garden around it. The week before the show, they had just replaced the floor of the building with something new and hardwood
    I got to go in for free, because of my girls connection with the museum.
    Having gone there for the last ten or so years, it's always the cars in the carpark out side that impress the most
    G

6. lowsquire

lowsquire
    from Austin, TX

Thanks a lot for the post Ryan, humbling to have my shop mentioned in such a nice way.
    was my pleasure hosting you and Blake, hope those crazy 'light painting' shots turn out great!
    I think we have given you guys a good estimation of how international this old hot rod thing is..

Ben

7. norton58

norton58

Ryan (and all folks) the Exhibition Building was also the site of Melbourne's first speedway, in the early 30's.

Attached Files:

8. deadbeat

deadbeat

Just come back from a stint over in Melbourne.Sure there were street rods everywhere,but different strokes for different folks I guess.I stopped off at Rancho Deluxe a couple of times,had coffee & once when I was there they had a small swap meet happening,complete with a Tattooist buzzing away! Anyways the kats down there were awesome & very friendly to tourists,,lol.They build some neat cars at their small shop as well.Drop by if your ever down there,you wont be dissapointed.

9. striper

striper

That's a cool bit of history I didn't know.

10. C300

C300
    from Wa.

Great atmosphere for a show, some sweet rides. like the different and unique. also love that yellow chevy 'vert. like to see more of that. molded the dash into the doors, lots of suttle differences ! Good Times !

11. BLAKE

BLAKE

Hey PETE... blow on this, mate... :D

12. Great stuff, Ryan. Have fun, be safe on the trip. Love that Chevy Ute.

13. johnboy13

johnboy13

I know I've said it before, but I'd still rather have your job.

14. norton58

norton58

G'Day Pete, the museum is now on the site. When they were digging the foundations they found bits of the track etc. I think Traceys Speedway in Maribyrnong replaced it in the mid 40's.

15. It sure is a great piece of architecture, wild small details are prevalent in many of melbournes fine old buildings.

[​IMG]

Check out Grantown House below. It is directly opposite the Exhibition building as you walk out of the front doors on Nicholson street, Fitzroy. Its been like this for years, some one will restore it someday soon I hope. Real fine real estate indeed.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. Remember seeing Lindsay Gunston & Rick Martin Holdens on the street there all those years ago. Wild.

17. ram-rod

ram-rod

I'm glad you guys had a good time in my home town.

So who's comming next year. You already know your welcome.

18. striper

striper

You probably wouldn't like it now Steve. Lots of the wall is gone and what's left of the buildings is now trendy town houses and cafes.

My mum and dad used to hang out at Tracey's.

19. davo461

davo461

Keith, you are a nasty person ! lol.

20. XM BIRD

XM BIRD

113.jpg
    ...Hi Ryan, thanks for posting those great pictures especially the last one as its actually showing my wife myself and two friends standing on the left hand side of our car (the aluminium bodied roadster). We thought the show overall was great and hoped you got to see the variety and quality of cars that are built here. Most Melburnians consider themselves lucky that buildings like the Exhibition Buildings have survived and have been preserved and that we Hot Rodders are fortunate in being able to stage our annual Hot Rod show there. We hope that you have enjoyed yourself and that you have a safe trip home...

21. warren1328

warren1328

Funny how you take some things for granted when you see them all the time....
    Thanks for the "fresh perspective" on the Ex Buildings & Melbourne in general!

22. norton58

norton58

Pete's right Steve, the joint's LegoLand now. A slum of tomorrow. I reckon there would be quite a few unhappy souls still wandering around there too...

23. gmpartsgod

gmpartsgod

I got a friend that lives outside melbourn .he wants me to come over some kinda bad.seems like great place.

24. zep058

zep058

Imagine a River City Roadster club show at the exhibition buildings, I would pay top dollar to see the cars from the reliability run set out in that great building. Next year? :)