Register now to get rid of these ads!

(Round 2) Just another Model A build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Vintage Vandal, Dec 18, 2011.

1. Vintage Vandal

Vintage Vandal

Hahaha! That is very true.

2. Vintage Vandal

Vintage Vandal

How bout I'll just email you before I do anything on this build so you can tell me how the Australian government says I should do it. Fuck that. U might see my steering set up as being "frankly fucking arrogant and stupid", because I am doing something different than you? My mount has to be much different than yours for many reasons I wont bore you with. However I am using a period correct box with a well thought out plan to make it strong as STATED in the pictures. Your mind set is detrimental to hot rodding as it limits ingenuity and improvement within the hobby. And without those necessary attributes our beloved past time would have never began in the first place. Perhaps this is why the cars you build down there mimic purely American cars. This is the birthplace of hot rodding only because people long before I was born had the ingenuity to do things differently.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2012
  3. Vintage Vandal

Vintage Vandal

Over the weekend I tore down the whole car and made another crossmember for more frame rigidity.[​IMG]

4. Vintage Vandal

Vintage Vandal

Now to the infamous steering box mount. First I welded the base of the connecting rods to the frame. Next I welded pieces of 1/2'' square stock between them to close the gap.[​IMG]

5. Vintage Vandal

Vintage Vandal

Then I made some strong gussets out of 1.5"X3" tubing and welded those in.[​IMG]

6. Vintage Vandal

Vintage Vandal

I couldn't brake this mount with a wrecking ball. And I finally completely welded all brackets and crossmembers for good. A lot of finish grinding and cleaning is in my future. And then its ready for some paint.[​IMG][​IMG]

7. Hooligan63

Hooligan63

I heard grinding welds is not a good idea at all because it weakens the welds.

8. Yes but the exception is Travis Pastrana isn't going to kill anyone but himself jumping out of a plane without a paracute. This kind of attitude is frankly fucking arrogant and stupid.

Wouldn't that all depend on where he would land?:D

As is this..

You need to remake that steering box mount because that shit looks like it'll break in no time at all, then you'll be cruising down the other side of the road and soon enough you'll kill someone.

This is what our rules require we run over here for a steering box mount. I've used a '40 box on my Roadster and by the rules, we are required to run a plate that is minimum 12mm thick. I have only tacked it in these pictures, but it illustrates what you should have something similar to.

[​IMG]

[​IMG][/QUOTE]

For us yanks that would be .472 of an inch thick.

9. monteb

monteb

hi all im not here very often ,but could you tell me if those rods that the steering box mount is made out of is cast steel or cast iron or dropped forged ,certinly looks interesting,regards Monte.b

10. Vintage Vandal

Vintage Vandal

These are forged. I pre heated the rods with a torch before welding. And let them dry very slow .

11. 39 Ford

39 Ford

I would prefer to ride in the Austrailian car myself. Your mount may survive but its butt ulgy. And I do not care what you think about me and my opinion.

12. 39 Ford

39 Ford

I would prefer to ride in the Austrailian car myself. Your mount may survive but its butt ulgy. And I do not care what you think about me and my opinion.

13. Vintage Vandal

Vintage Vandal

Wow! Good for you. It is ugly like a torque convertor. That is, it will work great and yet stays unseen unless u look for it."and I do not care what you think about me and my opinion"

Last edited: Jan 23, 2012
  14. 29sportcoupe

29sportcoupe
    from arizona

Yep, this helps me build my car......

15. 29sportcoupe

29sportcoupe
    from arizona

whatcha got behind your frame a 37-38 chevy?

16. Vintage Vandal

Vintage Vandal

its my step dads 37 chevy. I want it bad!

17. 29sportcoupe

29sportcoupe
    from arizona

Thought so, I have two 36 chevy 5 windows. Not so many of us around. By the way, I just put a 51 F1 steering box and column in my 29 AV8, not a direct conversion from my 29 box but like I read, it feels like it has power steering. Best upgrade so far. well, that 5 speed is pretty slick runnin down the road.

[​IMG]

18. dodgord

dodgord

Please dont let this dickhead represet the attitude of us aussies, we are not all so pigheaded.

19. mastergun1980

mastergun1980
    from Alva OK

I like that . I also like that your rear radius rods are not on the transmission crossmember anymore. But What I DON"T Like is the way you pay no attention to Austriallian Safety rules in CA! :D Dode what you're doing looks way safer than my first rod, It would have been called a rat rod if people had been throwing that term around in 1998 - I didn't build it that way on purpose I was just to broke and stupid to know any better - ( thank god for the H.a.m.b. Only 5% of these guys are assholes! sadly they post a lot)

20. Vintage Vandal

Vintage Vandal

Dont worry, we have plenty of pigheaded dickheads here too!:D

21. Vintage Vandal

Vintage Vandal

Thanks for the kind words mastergun. I dont mind negative feedback from folks that want to help. But statements like "thats butt ugly" or "thats fucking stupid" does not help alot. This is my first "ground up" build of this kind and I have made PLENTY of mistakes already. But that is why I didnt name this thread "how to build a model A". I realize what Im doing wont make sense to some folks and might not be what they would do. fuck'm:D

22. I gotta admit that I was like WTF is he doing with those con-rods? But I kept my mouth shut till i could see where you where going. It looks pretty good and doesn't even look like con-rods....more like a steering box mount.;)

23. Vintage Vandal

Vintage Vandal

Thanks Hitchhiker!

24. Knoxville

Knoxville

Thanks for posting that twice, good thing you don't care, cause I think....alot

25. Knoxville

Knoxville

Wonder why Kangaroo Fucker hasn't replied yet? Maybe he's eating his words....cause that mount turned out bad ass. And it's just as purdy as a torque converter.

26. 29sportcoupe

29sportcoupe
    from arizona

I love torque converters! on other guys cars. I am more of a clutch kind of guy.

can we move on yet? ladies.....

27. Drakkar

Drakkar

Quick question on the steering column that you chose. What did you mean by "cut to fit"?

28. Vintage Vandal

Vintage Vandal

It came way to long without the bearings uninstalled. When u figger out how long you need, cut the tube and shaft, then install the bearings...I cut mine three times until I could fit into the car without removing the steering wheel .

Last edited: Jul 27, 2012
  29. 29sportcoupe

29sportcoupe
    from arizona

I think most columns are cut to fit if it came from a different car. The F1 column and box I put in my A was too long so I took the tube off and cut the shaft and then welded it back together, then I cut the tube to fit. Pretty easy except now I have a splined shaft and all the 16inch steering wheels I find are tapered with a key. So make sure you pick your wheel before deciding on the column type. Anyone have a tapered end shaft?

30. Tony Travers

Tony Travers

Now this is a absolutely stupid comment that just displays your ignorance.
    Cheers
    Tony