Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features Ford Thunderbolts Photos Wanted

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Troublemaker427, Oct 11, 2006.

1. Thomas.S

Thomas.S
    from sweden

Som pics on my t-bolt clone.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. noboD

noboD

The red car that sold for stupid $$ at BJ was a clone right? They never called it a Thunderbolt that I heard, just a '64 Fairlane with a 427.

3. It wasn't even a clone. It had a stroked small block in it.

4. noboD

noboD

Thanks, don't think I saw the hood open. I do remember it brought stupid $$. Sorry to clutter up the Thunderbolt thread.

5. Tom S. in Tn.

Tom S. in Tn.

Think about it,
    Even though there are thousands of high riser heads, there are only 200 original DST Fairlane heads. 200 carbs off 100 original motors, 2,000 lug bolts etc... What should those be worth in relation to every other one?

For DST Fairlanes, or any other special project cars for that matter, to have appreciable and recognizable value, the vehicles as well as any component would have to authenticated and registered within a special registry.

It appears to me, at this point in time Thunderbolts have become adulterated to the point there can be no such thing as true authenticity.
    As long as authentic surviving DST vehicles and their parts are treated like any other car, Spikes statement above will hold always true.
    Tom S. in Tn.

6. apound

apound

Pardon my ignorance but was the car rebodied, or an outright fake?

7. AFX DAVE

AFX DAVE

I was wondering what the Differance is between a REBODY'D Thunderbolt with New Manufacured Fiberglass parts and a Thunderbolt Clone? Both having 427ci High Risers. ~~~~~~~~AFX DAVE~~~~~~~~

8. I think the amount was more about helping a charity(aka. tax write off) than the actual car...

9. Kool66

Kool66
    from Dearborn

It is true that only a finite number of TBolts were built but as far as parts at DST's facilities there were some extras.I have a friend who worked there during and after the program and he has a couple of air boxes that were left over.I spoke to a man years ago whose father worked there and he mentioned the dumpster didn't get all the leftover Thunderbolt pieces.He mentioned a coffee can full of unused glove box disclaimer tags.Authentic or just clone parts?I have a good friend who ran the Ex garage at the Dearborn test track and he mentioned when Ford upgraded the 4 speeds when Drag team was in for a Detroit area meet they used the bays a the test track to pull and exchange the T-10s.Most if not all didn't take the old trans with them.He said they were laying around for awhile,some got "legs" and some were scrapped.

10. Tom S. in Tn.

Tom S. in Tn.

There was a finite # of cars documented and produced........ 100, 101, ? I speak in general terms, I'm certainly no authority. But, all made 100% out of parts with FMC part #'s, documented in FMC parts manuals, and then released with a title of origin to the ordering customer recorded in the Ford data base for the year produced.
    The realization of DST Fairlanes actual historic value hit me last summer once Dennis K introduced that fact to me by quoting the actual factory part #'s out of the FMC parts manual, for the glass fenders, plexi windows, bumpers...... etc.
    All I can say is if those (100?) are not identified and registered as the only ones, irregardless of condition the pieces left of them might be in today, there can be no originals.

Troublemaker more than likely pegged this car.
    Condemn me if you wish, but racing a bunch of 427 Fairlanes doesn't help the value either. Knowing what I know today, we should never have been allowed anywhere around these cars when we were kids in the late 60's/70's. The one I worked on is in the place today with an owner where it should have been from day 1. Sadly, it didn't work that way, and significant history was forever lost.
    Tom S. in Tn.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2012
  11. Tom S. in Tn.

Tom S. in Tn.

With these cars not being like a Tucker Torpedo or etc., which would be nearly impossible to bugetarily repop; without a living person who knew the original to verify the authenticity, how could anyone know?
    Seems a lot less of them left today than cars. Tom S.
    [​IMG]

12. 65COMET

65COMET

They are just cars! Get over it!!!! ROY.

13. Kentuckian

Kentuckian

Anyone know who the new owner of the MT hemi Thunderbolt is? Wonder if he ever reads this thread?

14. Dennis K.

Dennis K.
    from Detroit MI

Ad from Feb 78 National Dragster when Paul Bedoian had it. Car sold for much less than the asking price.

Regards,
    Dennis

Attached Files:

15. Dennis K.

Dennis K.
    from Detroit MI

Here is an circa 1978 photo of the former M/T Hemi car when PSE had it. Reference the ad, it looks like the Mustang is behind it and the Z11 motor in front of it.

Regards,
    Dennis

Attached Files:

16. spike427

spike427
    BANNED
    from Kentucky

There's the point as I made it and in this picture of 1978 what happened and why did the car get rebodied as the experts say and how do you know?That car looks GOOD to me for a restore if you wanted it original but maybe some of the guys here who have Bolts think theirs is special but personally I think the bidder over paid!

17. tbolt64804

tbolt64804

what is all this talk about the mickey thompson hemi that sold for $220,000 on BJ auction. was it the real deal or not?? from everything i've heard, seen, read, it was raced only once, and was never trashed. please explain all the discreptency!!
    Jim

18. 64Cyclone

64Cyclone

Go to page 1 or search this thread for "Tyree".

19. tbolt64804

tbolt64804

not much help to my questions 64cyclone??

20. Analog Dog

Analog Dog
    from Utah

Go to page 7,post 137 and continue reading....

21. Dennis K.

Dennis K.
    from Detroit MI

The original steel doors and a period correct Ford FE with M/T Hemi heads.

Regards,
    Dennis

Attached Files:

22. 64Cyclone

64Cyclone

Seriously the first post about this car is on page 1. Several members have made statements about the car's restoration. I found them by searching Tyree.

23. spike427

spike427
    BANNED
    from Kentucky

It appears after some conversation and pics by Dennis the M/T car is suspect of being the ALL original car.Guffey stated it best when he said "the conservation by the restorer was handled incorrectly" appears this is another buyer beware!

24. Dennis K.

Dennis K.
    from Detroit MI

From everything I've read and what I've seen, I believe the comments posted back a few years ago at the beginning of this thread is an accurate representation. BTW, photos of a pair of doors and a period correct engine doesn't necessarily mean the vehicle today is original. Pretty certain those are the steel doors, however the car was reassembled with the fiberglass doors.

Regards,
    Dennis

25. Tom S. in Tn.

Tom S. in Tn.

Wonder if there is discussion like this on the Mopar boards with regards to Jack Werst 68' Barracuda that sold in the lot # right behind this Fairlane, that sold for the same price??
    I'm afraid this might be the trend of the adulterated collector car market. Tom S.

26. Wasn't the MT 'bolt one of those cars that got hacked up as an altered wheelbase car? A pic of the tub somewhere... I'm guessing in some cases restorers in the 80's and 90's took clean Fairlanes and grafted parts onto them...

27. wally95

wally95
    from Boone Iowa

[​IMG] Eddyville July 2, 2011 181.jpg (484.6 KB)

<SCRIPT type=text/javascript src="clientscript/vbulletin_attachment.js?v=387"></SCRIPT><SCRIPT type=text/javascript> <!-- var newpost_attachmentbit = '\r\n [​IMG]\r\n %5$s\r\n (%6$s)\r\n
    '; vB_Attachments = new vB_Attachment('attachlist', ''); document.write('<input type="button" id="manage_attachments_button" class="button" tabindex="1" style="font-weight:normal" value="Manage Attachments" title="Click here to add or edit files attached to this message" onclick="vB_Attachments.open_window(\'newattachment.php?t=136384&poststarttime=1327688435&posthash=93a5eee1d8f360a30b7ea0069924791b\', 480, 480, \'1630202\')" />'); //--> </SCRIPT><INPUT style="FONT-WEIGHT: normal" id=manage_attachments_button class=button title="Click here to add or edit files attached to this message" tabIndex=1 onclick="vB_Attachments.open_window('newattachment.php?t=136384&poststarttime=1327688435&posthash=93a5eee1d8f360a30b7ea0069924791b', 480, 480, '1630202')" value="Manage Attachments" type=button> <NOSCRIPT></NOSCRIPT>

Attached Files:

28. Dennis K.

Dennis K.
    from Detroit MI

No, never AWB unless you want to count the modifications to the front spring towers and suspension as an AWB. The picture of the car in post #3020 was how it looked prior to "restoration". The posts regarding this car near the beginning of this topic or thread is an accurate representation of what was done to this car.

Regards,
    Dennis

29. rastiss

rastiss
    from tejas

the ed terry(klienman-cole) b/fx mustang and the eldon doman b/fx mustang are the same car. eldon doman is my dad. there were 2 of these cars originally built. the other was destroyed in the mid 60's which made quarter horse a unicorn of sorts. doug butler(owner of desert motors) ended up with the car after ed terry. when he bought it the engine was popped and never ran it. my dad had worked at desert motors (with mike schmitt, that's how they became friends) and tried to buy quarter horse for quite a while but doug wouldn't sell it.this was in 69-70. however, doug butler was best friends with merle haggard and they had gone to vegas for the wknd and they had got in a pinch for some cash so butler called dad and told him if he would wire him the money, he could pick up the car on monday. so he did. we owned quarter horse until the late 80's. it's a beautiful car. it was never butchered up like most were. dad had kept everything and put it back just like it was from the 1965 ford drag team days. dad ran it a few years and won a ton with it in southern cal. it got to the point he didn't feel safe in it running 10 with only a roll bar. he didnt want to cut it up for a cage so he parked it. mike schmitt ran it several times as well. mike also shared seat time in our b/g capri and then drove our pro stocker exclusively.

30. LennyFreebern

LennyFreebern

Soon after this photo was taken the car was sold to Roy DeShaw near Casper, Wyoming.

Len