Register now to get rid of these ads!

Strange Primer Question!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Greaser Bob, Jan 24, 2012.

1. Greaser Bob

Greaser Bob

Can anyone tell me is there such a thing as tinted primer in a spray can?! Not going to be able to do final paint till next year but was looking for something for THIS year in the time being.:rolleyes:
    Something other than grey, black, red..........
    Thanks!

2. oldcarfart

oldcarfart

You can have anything you want put into a rattle can.........IF you are willing to pay the price.

3. Yeah, you can get it but I think you'd have to special order it to get it in a can.

Primer doesn't really seal the body off anyways, you may as well hit the spray can aisle in a decent hardware store and pick something that will cover, but that isn't going to be a pain in the ass to sand back off when you want to do it right. My beaters all get a coat of Rustoleum at some point.

4. carcrazyjohn

carcrazyjohn
    from trevose pa

Dont use spray cans,There is tintable primers out there also sealers

5. Greaser Bob

Greaser Bob

I was thinking can, because maybe it would be cheap. But does Rustoleum come off easy enough? Just seriously don't want to look at my car in flat black-been there done that.

6. Rustoleum might be tough to sand off, but some of the other cheaper paints you should be able to clean right up without having to sand half the body away. It depends how thick you lay it on.

7. Greaser Bob

Greaser Bob

Ok-think I'll check the hardware stores this weekend!

8. 3banjos

3banjos
    from NZ

Do you need to prime it. What about a clear sealant. Most hotrod shops use it.

9. Greaser Bob

Greaser Bob

Hmm, no-good question. But like I said earlier I just wanted something temporary. Something I can stand looking at.:)

10. When I wanted something different for my old Hudson, I went to the local paint jobber and grabbed some cheap primer, Hardener and reducer.

We stepped into the back room and shot some blue and a little white tint into it and this is what we ended up with.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Pretty inexpensive (priced spray bombs lately?), available in any color you could imagine, and a hell of a lot easier to sand off than the spray bomb primer that does nothing but clog the paper.

11. 3banjos

3banjos
    from NZ

Love to see the result, taking those header caps off on a glass car.
    Anyway, used Epiphos clear sealant on my raw frame, and stayed surface rust free for months. And you can just rub it on with a rag. Not too cheap, but goes a long way.

12. cleatus

cleatus
    from Sacramento

Sikkens brand primer can be tinted quite a bit, whereas with most other primers, if you try to change the color much by tinting it will affect their ability to adhere to the surface.
    Sikkens sands real nice and you can add a sealer additive to it as well.

13. I assumed that was directed at my blue car???

The car is not glass. It was a steel '34 Hudson. The bigger black streaks in the top pic were due to a float sticking on one of the carbs on my way to a show about 50 miles away.

Real steel, really driven. Shit happens...

14. Willy301

Willy301

If you have a PPG paint jobber in the area, they sell an epoxy sealer/primer. They can tint it as well, and I think it even comes in plain white. Good luck on getting it accomplished, I had sprayed some black out of an aerosol can to use just as a marker coat, and it stayed on there for a couple months because life got in the way... It still clogged the paper like it was wet when I went to block it out. And I was still rough blocking with 80 grit...

15. Stevie Nash

Stevie Nash

I love odd rods! Looks cool :cool:

16. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I can't believe I'm sayin this, but some of the more significant paint suppliers have a get up that can be rolled on. It's genuine primer/sealer, and from what I hear, applied with some care and a closed cell foam roller, it goes on pretty smooth and behaves like a sprayed primer. No clogged paper, gennie product, no overspray, and you should be able to get what you want for color and durability. Just sayin...

17. 3banjos

3banjos
    from NZ

Yeh, didn't think for a minute, it was glass. Just noted the hotspot.

18. Almost any rattle can paint will come off with MEK and a rag. You are not going to find rattle can primer tinted off the shelf but you can get about the same effect by getting whatever color rattle can paint you like and blowing it on real dry. You can also find some rattle can colors in flat these days if you shop.

19. tinknocker86

tinknocker86
    from california

Good Morning Plowboy!
    Yes, like Cletus said Akzo Nobel (Sikkens) Colorbuild promers can be tinted into over 80 different colors. BUT, know that they are available in spray cans as well, factory packed. This should get you going in the right direction.

20. Hey plowboy just trade it for my roadster n let me worry about it! LOL!

21. Go to a real Paint Jobber. It will cost you less in the end in several ways.

22. afaulk

afaulk

Just my 2 cents worth, but i'd use an epoxy sealer, like the earlier post said. Tintable, apply 2 or more coats and you won't have to worry about removing it, just use it as a foundation. When you're ready for paint just clean, sand, prime, then seal again and paint.

23. 54 savoy

54 savoy

think someone else said it but rattle can primer is porous so you will get surface rust under the primer,if you are on a budget and it's temporary prime grey and rattle can a satin color you like but it will be a pain to sand off later it will gum up your sand paper.

24. Greaser Bob

Greaser Bob

Man I do NOT want it to rust under it!! Good advice guys-I think maybe the epoxy sealer route makes a lot of sense. I don't have a gun but maybe I can borrow one.
    Here's a great question I've been waiting to ask...............
    Anyone know if a quart of like Hot Rod Flatz would cover a Model A, or should I buy a gallon????
    Got a gallon when I did my Meyers Manx years ago and still got plenty left to this day!!

25. 32 hudson

32 hudson

I like that Hudson and I like the color. I doubt if there has ever been a 34 Hudson Terraplane molded in fibberglass !!

A 32 Hudson Essex Terraplane builder here

26. overspray

overspray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

From the PPG technical data sheet.

Tinting:
    DP Epoxy Primer cannot be tinted. However, any of the DP Epoxy Colors may be
    blended together in any ratio as long as the correct amount of DP Epoxy Primer
    Catalyst is used. Refer to PPG undercoat tinting guide for additional information.

I'd go with the Sikkens or Utech, myself.
    overspray