Register now to get rid of these ads!

Shifter boot rings?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Jan 24, 2012.

1. I'm going to need a ring for holding the shifter boot to the floor ,I don't really want the old rectangle type Hurst shifter boot and retainer.

Anybody know of any company's that offers just the round ring?

[​IMG]

2. HRP ask the Willys/jeep guys here on the board. I may have one extra myself but the Willys Overland had a round boot and ring. if you get them guys involved you will find one for sure.

3. Bigdaddyhemi

Bigdaddyhemi

Lokar sells them, they look good.

4. pmlights.com has trim pieces. p.n#7005s = 2 15/16ths outside dia. P.n.#7007s = 3 3/8ths o.d. and p.n.#7009s = 5 5/8ths o.d. These are stainless steel and use a three bolt pattern for attatching. They are trim for tailights, but, hey they would look nice with alittle polishing and a home made leather boot.

5. Make one, they aren't too terribly hard to do.

I did one for my truck out of 1/4" 6061. I have a sub boot underneath that uses a fire boot pop riveted to the floor and then the decorative boot and trim ring. Nicely insulated and reasonably quiet.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Bigdaddyhemi

Bigdaddyhemi

Or just check out Lokar Shifters

7. junk yard kid

junk yard kid

speedway has a cheep one.

8. Thank you,but I'm not too crazy about spending money for something I wont use,,all I need is the ring not the boot. HRP

9. I have to laugh at you guys suggesting someone "BUY" something as simple as a sheet metal ring with holes in it.

What happened to the HAMB, was there a "Gold Chainer" takeover that I was unaware of?

:p

10. BDH,who do YOU work for?:D

11. Mayor of G-Vegas

Mayor of G-Vegas

HRP American Shifter sells just the boot and rings on the cheap- Mayor

12. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

I'm gonna make mine, because I WANT TO!

13. Rex_A_Lott

Rex_A_Lott

I was gonna suggest cutting one out of a piece of stainless sheet metal and polishing it.
    Got any ideas what you want for size/thickness?

14. Polacko,
    I can't imagine there would be any charge for a willys ring. If you catch my drift.

You are absolutely right. We have a tendency to try and buy something that any idiot could make in a half hour. It is a bad shift to the left I am afraid.

BTW your truck would be way more cool if I was driving it, ya want an old POS Chevy to work on? ;)

15. I was hoping to get some idea of thickness and sizes available,,,it ain't like I haven't made one or twenty parts on this car already,,so I guess I'll just make one and keep my cool kid status! :D HRP

16. The Willys ring is 18 gauge if that helps. I have some .030 stainless that would also work laying in my garage.

17. Lets me see what you guys have made. HRP

18. Rex_A_Lott

Rex_A_Lott

I know I have a piece of Stainless sheet metal, I think its probably around 20 ga, but its been a while since I looked at it. I'll try to check tomorrow.
    I could possibly locate something different at work if you know what you want...let me know if I can help.

19. Thank you both for the offers but I have access to some stainless scrap,,I do appreciate the offer. HRP

20. The Cheap-O rings from Mr Gasket etc are no more than 18 gauge. I like a bit thicker ring, like the 1/4" I suggested earlier. This gives me a bit of room to put flat head hardware into.

21. desotot

desotot

70's ford 4x4 4spd trucks with a rubber floor mat has a nice ring if that helps, should be able to snag one out of a boneyard, sorry I don't have a pic.

22. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

23. fms427

fms427

Here is a picture of the Locar piece - they do make round ones, and do sell only the ring. Go on their web site.

Attached Files:

24. Judd

Judd

They repo the boot and ring like in my Galaxie and it looks like it would curve to your floor if you decide not to make one. Macs Antique Auto parts has them.

Attached Files:

25. unkledaddy

unkledaddy

I'm interested in one of those but I can't find it on Mac's site.
    Have you got a link?

26. 52 csb

52 csb

Hey,, you may want look at 4x4 shifter boot rings too...My 80s blazer had a oval ring on the floor boot..hope this helps jim:)

27. Hey fms427, what the heck is that car?

HRP. Mac's has one for a Model A. I have one somewhere. I'll try to find it and take a pic. As others have said, easy to make, but hard to chrome at home...

28. Brad54

Brad54
    from Atl Ga

Look at muscle car repro suppliers, like YearOne. They'll have a bunch of different rings (and boots), that won't break the bank. They'll also have stamped sheetmetal floor humps to mount the shifter boot and ring to, making for a clean installation.

For everyone yelling "make it yourself... gold chainers buy parts... blah blah blah..." there's a difference between a crappy looking piece of flat sheetmetal cut out and screwed to the floor, versus a stamped piece that came out of a press: factory boot rings have some depth to them... the edges are rounded over, rather than being flat stock, and the screw holes are recessed so the screw heads (phillips sheetmetal screws) aren't sticking up off the trim piece.

If you're hell-bent on making one, make it out of 1/4-inch aluminum, take a router and round over the outside and inside edges, and countersink the screw holes, then polish it or give it a brushed finish.

Or, buy one for $20 plus shipping, and spend time fabbing something that matters.

For what it's worth, the Mopar Dusters and Dodge Trucks have a nice oval ring, and one of them even has a black ring and fasteners. You can still find them pretty regularly in the junkyard in trucks and vans with the 4spd OD trans. I've got a Mopar repro black ring and boot in the Suburban.

-Brad

29. greg32

greg32
    from Indiana

Made mine from 1/8 6061 aluminum. 6061 polishes up really nice. Used an air saw, not very difficult, countersink the screw holes.

30. Judd

Judd