Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects What!!? another 27 on 32 chassis!??. Scratch build body.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Mindover, Jun 5, 2011.

1. I meant channelled a tiny amount as I personally think the height of the 32 rails looks a bit "bulky" with the 27 body, just my opinion. Or maybe I just like the look of Jack McGraths winning 27

Attached Files:

• jack.jpg
      jack.jpg
      File size:
      30.4 KB
      Views:
  2. Outback

Outback
    from NE Vic

wow, 'nother sub here! I love your work!

3. Mindover

Mindover
    from England

Hi Jeff, I have never really had a problem with beads before. I just dress out anything that distorts. I am aware that the problem is being caused by the flange being thrown first but I want to do it this way for several reasons. I did manage to pre stretch the bead on my test piece in a similar way to the way you did it and got some improvement. I will tack a piece onto my tooling and see if it works. Thanks for the input.

David

Last edited: Dec 15, 2011
  4. Mindover

Mindover
    from England

Bob I do see what you are saying but I don't think I could do it now I have the frame so far on even if I wanted too.

David

5. Mindover

Mindover
    from England

Thanks for subscribing!.

David

6. Mindover

Mindover
    from England

Got the model A front axle stripped down (cheers Glen) Its bent as a nine bob note but I will be able to straighten it and next job is to drop it three inches. Post some photos soon.

David

7. woodbox

woodbox

Subscribing to this one!

8. Mindover

Mindover
    from England

Thanks Woodbox!

David

9. Dyce

Dyce

I see what you mean now. I did that with my model a to help the body fit the frame. I'm sure since David is scratch building the body to fit the frame it will look right.

10. Mindover

Mindover
    from England

I built the frame to mach the dimesions I had of the body, like the firewall and the turtle deck. I show it earlier in the thread.

David

11. David. Quit playing on the HAMB and show me how to make some bun panels please! Haha!

12. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Been following this for a while, subscribed.

13. Mindover

Mindover
    from England

Cheers George!.

I managed to strip the front axle of the crap welded to it and got it ready to straighten, I will get this done this week I hope. next I will build a jig for dropping the axle. I will also try to get some more progress on the body. I have six months to my daughters prom. I am really busy with customers cars (way behind) but I intend to do my best t get it done, with a little help from my friends.

David

14. Mindover

Mindover
    from England

Been a while since I posted. I had a week off for Christmas, I needed a break and my oldest daughter was back from university so I wanted to spend time with her and my other daughter.

Just before Christmas I got the 'A' axle stripped down and cut the wishbones, these will have to do 'cos its what I have. the axle was bent quite badly and had some crap welded to it but otherwise in good condition overall.

[​IMG]

My friend Glen has been over several times and the donor car is completely stripped down now, the rear axle has had the brakes removed everything is in reasonable order, I have another rear axle and this has also been stripped and checked. I am going to use the best bits from the brakes with new cylinders and shoes ect of course.

One axle is for open drive and the other has a torque tube, I have not decided which I am going to run yet. They are both quite good with little play. Gonna mock everything up and decide which is going to work best. I would rather have the torque tube but open drive may work better and the car is going to be fairly low.

What do you guys think? open drive or torque tube?

David

Last edited: Oct 26, 2014
  15. Mindover

Mindover
    from England

16. Mindover

Mindover
    from England

17. Mindover

Mindover
    from England

[​IMG]
    It came out pretty straight. I will be making a jig for dropping the axle next week and then I will drop the axle. I need to order a spring so that I can mock the chassis up and work out which rear axle to use.

David

18. Mindover

Mindover
    from England

This is the setup I used to straighten the axle

[​IMG]

I thought it would be better to straighten it cold because I could apply an equal and opposite force to the one that damaged the axle and push the whole thing back to shape, whereas if I had heated it I would be bending it where I heated it. Anyway I got a good result.

19. Is that the axle I sold you Dave? In which case - sorry!

20. Mindover

Mindover
    from England

Yes it is but no problem- it looks good now and didn't take long to fix, like I said its in good order otherwise.

Can I borrow your T body soon please Phil?

David

21. Mindover

Mindover
    from England

Well I started making the jig for dropping the axle over the last few days. I hope to have it finished and to drop the axle on Friday all being well. Photos soon.

David

22. Mindover

Mindover
    from England

Well, best laid plans of mice and men and all that. I had good intentions but customer work comes first and I am very busy. I decided to get a bit more done on Saturday and got a few hours in between dealing with customers. A little more done this morning and I will try and finish it off tonight before I go home.

here is what I came up with for dropping the axle, I quickly threw this together but I am sure it will be up to the job...

AXLE DROPPING JIG

[​IMG]

Of course the basic idea is from posts here on the HAMB but I have incorporated the frame and the jig to make it all strong. I still have a little more work to finish it and looking at it now perhaps I should have put the RSJ on the top and the tubes on the bottom to make it even stronger but I think it will be OK.

David

Shadow Creek likes this.
  23. Mindover

Mindover
    from England

I intend to stretch the axle as I drop it so that I retain the original track width. I hope I have enough power in my ram for the job, I will find out Friday when I drop the axle.

I am now a whole week later doing this than I planned so time is getting tight.

I sent various parts off to be sandblasted so I should get them back soon (brake backing plates etc. I will be getting a new reversed eye front spring made this week. I did not want a Posie style spring with the blisters 'cos they just look wrong. ( that's all you can buy here in the UK.)

David

24. I will be interested to see how the axle turns out. Great I am sure judging from your other work.

25. Mindover

Mindover
    from England

Cheers K13 for your interest seems you are the only person talking to me! or perhaps axles are boring lol.

David

26. GizmoJoe

GizmoJoe

Boring? Not at all!!!
    I guess you won't use the sledge you used on the Pop. ;)

I subscribed long ago, just never had much to add except: wow!
    Thanks for sharing your work. Please continue. :)

27. 18n57

18n57

There are others of us waiting for the next new post.......love this project!!

28. Drop that thing!!

Um, what's RSJ?

29. RSJ, another name for I beam.

David, I am still here watching, learning...... waiting!:D:cool:

Cheers
    Jimmy

30. GizmoJoe

GizmoJoe

RSJ:
    Rolled Steel Joint