Register now to get rid of these ads!

Lancer Hubcap and valve stem help needed

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Roadsterpu, Jan 23, 2012.

1. Roadsterpu

Roadsterpu

I am trying to add aftermarket 57 Lancer hubcaps to my 56 Buick wheels. I noticed that the valve stem hole in the hubcap is in a different location on the Lancer cap than the Buick cap. I have a set of Nash caps and they have the same location for the valve stem as the Buicks. I also checked them against my universal fit 40 Ford style wheels and they match the Buick and Nash caps. The Lancer caps valve stem hole is about 1" more towards the center of cap. The Buick valve stem hole is about 1.25" from the outer edge and the Lancer cap is 2.25". Both caps are the same diameter.

I cannot imagine that I am the only person to have this problem, nor can I imagine that everyone who is running these caps have Lancer wheels. I am guessing there is a simple explanation for this.

[​IMG]

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. mastergun1980

mastergun1980
    from Alva OK

my 58 or 59 caps wouldn'f fit any wheel I had . Are your other hub caps 15's and the lancer a full 14" - Mine were full 14" and looked like 15" with an oddly placed valve stem hole....

3. Roadsterpu

Roadsterpu

4. Cruiser

Cruiser

Now, not sure but some wheels have their stems farther in on the wheel. I have two '57 Cadillac hub caps, one the whole is farther in and one farther out they two look the same otherwise.
    I think maybe the Lancers only fit certain wheels. I looked at Hubcaps Mikes web site and the 14's, 15's look the same where the whole is located.
    Check with your tire store they have all kinds of different valve stems that might work with your wheels and the Lancers.

CRUISER :cool:

5. fat141

fat141

Bugger, a problem.
    Rod

6. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

I'd contact the vendor. Since the originals are 14", the seller must have had an idea what to use on 15" wheels. You might be able to weld up the hole and re-drill the rim. It was a common practice when reversing wheels long ago.

7. Inked Monkey

Inked Monkey

I put some lancers on my 54 Buick and everything lined up? I just had to get some extensions to make them stick through the hole.

8. Roadsterpu

Roadsterpu

Really. Did you use straight extensions? Were your Lancers 15"?

9. dullchrome

dullchrome
    from SoCal

Try either extensions or go to a truck tube that has a longer stem.

10. Roadsterpu

Roadsterpu

No tubes. Radial tires

11. Paul, call Harry at Alondra tire and see if he can help. Best tire guy around, IMO.
    Alondra Tire Center in Bellflower, CA 90706 - (562) 866-8279

12. Roadsterpu

Roadsterpu

Have you talked to him lately? I think he retired and the kids are running it now. But I could be wrong.

13. dullchrome

dullchrome
    from SoCal

Have you tried talking to performance plus or the whitewall candy store?

14. Roadsterpu

Roadsterpu

No. I called Hubcap Mike this morning. He did not have any ideas other than try an assortment of extenders to see if any would work. I do not think the angle of the valve stem with a straight extension will put it in the right place for the hubcap. I may have to buy several to get it in the right spot. With the price of extensions that would mean $60 in extensions.:eek:

15. MilesM

MilesM

The stem is at an angle and with the extension the hole in the cap will be farther toward the center then one that does not need an extension.

The plastic extensions are cheap.

16. loburban

loburban

put short stem in the wheel and pop the cap when you need air.

17. waldo53

waldo53
    from ID

Yup, that's what I've been doing since I've got the same Lancer's on 15" Chevy truck rims.

I'm going to stay tuned on this one, it's a pain to pop them off and on just to check tire pressure. I was thinking a flexible stem extension might work but I don't know of anyone that makes them.

18. Paul B

Paul B

I put 2" extentions on my valve stems. after market lancers, they are just long enough to put air in or check the pressure.

19. fat141

fat141

Can still put radial tubes in your tyres. Depends how much this problem gets to you.;)
    Rod

20. Mercchev

Mercchev

I keep one extension on one tire and use it for all four when I need to check tire pressure. Just swap it around from tire to tire.

21. Roadsterpu

Roadsterpu

I bought a set of 1 1/4" extension and tried them out. It was close. I think 2" will work fine. The stem does not line up perfectly, but with a little push it will work. I think one that had a slight bend would be best. I have not found anything like that. A 45' bend is the smallest one I have seen, which may be too much. Can't wait to get these on to see how it looks.

22. Inked Monkey

Inked Monkey

I got my 15" Lancers from Speedway and just used those cheap plastic extentions from the parts store.

23. DK23

DK23

This is what I did on my '51 Chevy when the Lancers didn't line up. A bit of a pain, but not that bad.

24. Roadsterpu

Roadsterpu