Register now to get rid of these ads!

1955 Pontiac Star Chief

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Redbows35panel, Jan 23, 2012.

1. Redbows35panel

Redbows35panel

Need a couple of Items for my new ride. And yes I tried the SEARCH and came up with nothing. Here is what I need right now. Head light switch, and a turn signal control. My left turn signal does not cancel. And the other night coming home from Car Club the head lights when out, was able to get them going by messing with the switch. Does anyone do after market Pontiac parts? Love this car but didn't realize what a hassle finding parts is going to be. It already has a crate 350 and a 700R4. I just need some little stuff here and there. Hate it when something doesn't work.

Attached Files:

2. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well you killed it for me when a car that could have been cooler than hell is just another "I was too lazy to build a real engine" car with a Chebby crate motor in it.

The switches you need may be the same as what fit a number of other GM cars but it will take some research on your part. That you could probably find out on a Pontiac forum and that is where I'd look first.

3. Nice car, too bad it's been hacked up for a Chevy motor.

Ames Engineering is one Pontiac parts supplier; there are others, but as long as it's been hacked into - a GM headlight switch is a GM headlight switch is a GM headlight switch. Just get a later one, cut the plug off with it, wire it into your harness, and use the knob and bezel from your car to mount it in the dash. Trust me, they'll fit.

As for the turn signal, one of the springs inside is probably broken, or has come loose. Probably fixable, but the wheel has to come off to do it.

4. bryan6902

bryan6902

Just get a new switch from Ron Francis. Thats what I did. New part, new plug, no hassles. I also need to fix the turn signal cancel on my car, just another thing on the list.

I like your car, even with the Chevy in it...

Bryan

Last edited: Jan 23, 2012

5. My favorite year for the Star Chief. But as its been said, i wouldn't have put the crate motor in it. I would have left it original.

6. Redbows35panel

Redbows35panel

Hey Guys:eek:, I didn't put the crate engine in it. I just bought it that way. I wanted a CRUISIN machine and this fills the bill.:rolleyes: Hard to beat those lines. Notice it's one color. Special order that was.:D

7. CharlieLed

CharlieLed

That car brings back memories...I had one in 1969 when stationed in San Diego in the Navy. I paid $10 for it!

Attached Files:

8. Butch Clay

Butch Clay

That car is absolute rolling art work. Congrats on owning a great body style.

It's a little tough to find certain parts for these cars but that's the fun part, that's what makes it a worthy endeavor. Not many people have a 55 pontiac like that.

That said, follow the advice others gave. Many parts cross over between brands and the best way to know what works is from fellow Pontiac people. Pontiac people are pretty hard core and they love to help each other. My Dad is a Pontiac guy. I'll run it past him tomorrow but my guess is he will say "AMES" and similar other companies.

Look at the bright side, your car isn't half as hard to find parts for compared to some of the other brands. You can do it, it just takes time.

It's a good thing you don't need trim.:D

9. ripemup56

ripemup56
    from hi desert

C.P.R. aka California Pontiac restoration usually carries all them little parts for ponchos...a little pricey. I usually only use them if I cant find the part anywhere else

10. Nice car and I won't bust your balls for the Chevy.....

11. studhud

studhud

Take the switch apart clean the terminals. If they work then go out and the thermal breaker is opening up you have a short find the short save your money you dont need to buy a switch
    Dave Hitch
    FBBF

12. JLP

JLP

Try Performance Years Forums. PY has a great site. Just make sure you tellem you got it that way. they probably will say something about it but put it in your first post.
    Lots of good guys there with a great deal of Pontiac knowledge.
    Just go to the right section and ask away.
    I'm there under Jack Peters
    JLP

13. 1951Streamliner

1951Streamliner
    from Reno, NV

Awesome car, cant help you with the parts, but i will give you a big thumbs up!

14. Redbows35panel

Redbows35panel

Hey JLP, I went to the Performance forum like you suggested. Got all registered and started asking questions on the Pontiac Forum. Got nothing at all there. Guess I should have known when there was no Star Chief section that I might be in the wrong place. Then the moderator posted that they were really more into 60s & 70s Ponchos and I would probably be better off looking at Hemmings for that old stuff. Made me feel kinda unwanted. So here I am back on the H.A.M.B. You might get your balls busted for having crate in your Pontiac. But I've never felt unwanted.

Love all y'all:D:D:D

15. studhud

studhud

Dude did ya take the headlight switch apart yet? It is so basic inside it's not funny you'll have a harder time getting the knob off. Clean the terminals inside reinstall. Or I have an nos one $150 it's yours I say keep your money.
    I've had 6 55 to 57 pontiacs been there done that.
    Dave Hitch
    FBBF

16. bryan6902

bryan6902

I've found some love at the Performance Years Forum in the FUll-Size forums. It's not a total bust, some answers are here, some over there....

17. Wagonmaster2

Wagonmaster2

That was a problem on mid fifties Pontiacs. My '56 wouldn't cancel nor would our '53..... We just turned it off after the turn. Most folks today don't even use 'em, glad to hear that you apparently do!! And hey, I LIKE the Chevy after running a 287" ('55)and a 316" ('56) Pontiac for many miles!!! They don't like it then let 'em buy it and re-do it THEIR way!

18. Butch11443

Butch11443

Try a stock headlight switch for a 55 Chevy and use your push-pull knob on it. Also, the turn signal switch may be the same for the chevy.
    Butch

19. uncledon529@bellsouth.net

[email protected]
    from florida

Like your 55, go to Pontiac 50s, best site for Pontiac questions ect.

20. Nice car....you don't see too many of those still around. In fact , I don't ever remember seeing one in my area. All tri-five Chevys. Nice to have something a little different.

21. monkeyspunk79

monkeyspunk79

This guy has tons of Poncho parts cars and parts.

http://www.indianapontiacs.com/

Worth a shot to see if he's got a good working light switch. Oh, he also might have a good Pontiac V-8 for you too! :) Just kiddin'!

22. sololobo

sololobo

What a knockout Pontiac, this is one of the coolest outta the factory box customs. The trick scoops by the headlights, split bumpers, awesome ribbed trim and foxy styling all around. It is alive and running up and down the road, so no sin in my eyes for the dependable chevy (still G.M.) motor moving this hottie around. Sounds like your moving ahead with your little issues, keep this baby cruzin bro, she is a dandy! ~sololobo~

23. sololobo

sololobo

Wow, that Indiana Pontiacs site is amazing! Nice lead for the tin Indian folks. ~sololobo~

24. Harry o

Harry o
    from Georgia

Dang thers a junk yard in LaGrange Ga thats got several of those ... He would want you to buy the whole car tho ....

25. damagedduck

damagedduck
    from Greeley Co

i may have one in my 'spare' dash hanging in the shop.sold my last 55 a couple years ago but have SH*T load of parts left,light hood ornaments,a power brake set up{somewhere}i'll look & see if it's {switch}is on the dash still---chuck

26. Taff

Taff

you know, that pic is pretty damm cool

27. damagedduck

damagedduck
    from Greeley Co

i don't know about using an after market switch?i went & took some shots of my first 55 Pontiac's dash,mine had only 59,139 miles on it when i got it for my 15th birthday,my mom paid $100 for it.
    it doesn't look to hard to pull yours out & maybe clean the contacts,
    For your viewing pleasures,encase ya haven't tried to pull yours #3 is the bottom mounting points.

Attached Files:

28. hotrod428

hotrod428

Ive always liked 55 Starchiefs, I had a 55 Star Chief convertable when I was in high school. it was originally black and white and I painted it a metallic blue, I wish I would have taken some pictures of it.

29. wvenfield

wvenfield

My 56's turn signal won't cancel either. I just do it manually. One day I have to get around to re-doing the wheel and figure I'll address it then.

As others have noted, unless the switch falls apart in your hand when you take it apart, generally they can be fixed by cleaning them up.

And I saved the Pontiac site listed above also. :D

30. Redbows35panel

Redbows35panel

Well a standard replacement switch worked. It was a little hard to put in because the original had a long snout that put the switch back away from the dash. And the new one mounted right up against the dash. Don't know if that solved the problem of the lights just going away. Kind of hard to check that out during the daytime. But everything works as it should. Now to the next little problem, windshield wipers. Motor runs blades don't move. How are the two connected? Someone said a chain? I can turn the little cable wheel under the dash. Anyone have a suggestion? Noticed a compatibility or cross over manual(Chevrolet, Buick, Olds and Pontiac) on Ebay for $60.00. Is it worth it?