Register now to get rid of these ads!

Vintage looking tire for 15x10" rim...not slicks or cheaters..

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Tony, Jan 21, 2012.

1. Tony

Tony

I've been going nuts searching for the right tires for the back of my coupe that will fit the rims, and be tall enough..
    My rims are original magnesium American 5 spokes, and the car is a fenderless 32 5 window that will have a 60's vibe to it..
    I dig slicks, and eventually will get a pair for "fun", but want a treaded tire for real world (read: wet= NY) driving.
    Looking for something that would have the 60's style look without a directional pattern, and i'd prefer a bias ply UNLESS a radial has a nice squared off look.

28-30" tall, and will fit a 10" wide rim.

I won't bother listing what i've found, i'd much rather see what you guy's have done for some idea's.
    And before someone say's "search", i have. For hours, literally , and have not found what i'm looking for..just a lot of info on the slicks, or cheaters.
    I wish Hurst made a tire like their slicks that had regular tread and the nice pie crust look as their slicks do..i'd be all over em as i'm sure many other would be too.

So please, post some pics and details if you would. I'm sure i'm not the only one who's run into this.

Thanks in advance.

Tony

2. Tony

Tony

Really? No one's got a 60's style coupe with wider tires?

3. 327-365hp

327-365hp
    from Mass

Dirt track tires.

4. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have seen these live and in person...they are cool looking, but fucking HUGE.

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Firestone-Tubeless-Grooved-Rear-Tire-13-30-15,7348.html

These are cool also, but ...huge.

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Fires...-Tire-14-31-15,7349.html?parentDisplayId=7348

These are cool...but too fucking SMALL.

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Firestone-Grooved-Rear-Tires,7350.html?parentDisplayId=7349

I'm in your same boat...I have Hoosier Radials on my 15X10s and I'm not crazy about em...

Keep me posted, -Abone.

5. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The M&Hs are kind of OK lookin...Never seen them in person though. The Mickey Thompson ET Streets are bad ass looking in real life, but like to put you into a guardrail on a wet interstate..

-Abone.

6. Tony, check out something like the Mickey Thompson's Indy Profile, or the old Goodyear Polyglass GT, or Firestone Wide-Oval, and finally the Pro-Trac's tires from the 60's muscle cars. Maybe those are some ideas, TR

7. carlos

carlos
    from ohio

N-50s is about it unless you use dirt track

8. 32-3 WINDOW

32-3 WINDOW
    from utah

well im into double diamonds , good ol sprint car tires , let me know if you need some i think i have a pair in 15

9. Don't know if this helps Tony but these are 275/60/15's on a 8.5 rim. Currently the tires are loose out in the garage.

Attached Files:

10. Tony

Tony

Cool. Thanks guys.
    Abone, man if they made that Firestone in a 10 wide that would be PERFECT!
    I dig those.
    I'm assuming those are the Double Diamonds 32 3 window mentioned.

Pretty much most of what's been mentioned is what i've found.
    The only ones that more or less "fit" are either the Pro Trac or Indy Profiles, or like i said, the Firestone's if they were a bit narrower..
    The regular dirt track tires sold through coker etc look bad ass but i just don't think they would look right on my car.
    The Wide ovals and Poly-Glas are cool, but too muscle car for my taste.

Phil, thanks for the offer too. Biggest prob with 275's are the height..they fit the rim, but too short for the wheel opening in the quarter.
    I know i'm splitting hairs, but rolling stock is SO important to me in the overall look.
    I figured with the amount of people on here someone may have run across something different that maybe many of us have not.. Worth a try for sure.

Thanks for taking the time to respond every one. I really appreciate it.
    Time to make some decisions.

Tony

11. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

Use to see a lot of cars running Firestone Indy Tires.
    firestone-indy-920-15-gt40.jpg

12. 32fordroadster

32fordroadster
    from Wisconsin

13. blue 49

blue 49
    from Iowa

I have a 5 yr old Diamondback catalog and what they sold then as a "drag radial" was a nice looking tire, not like the ugly ones they have now. I wonder if they had problems with them or the just quit making them?

Blue

14. Phil1934

Phil1934

15. Justin B

Justin B

16. Tony

Tony

I like those! I read on here about this place. Seem's they have been around a long time making retreads for racing. Don't think they had a bad rep.
    I just sent them a note inquiring about a few thing's.

Thanks!

Tony

17. HOTRODRUBBER

HOTRODRUBBER

Please post pictures of the tires you buy from them.

Thank You
    Cody Adams
    HURST RACING TIRES

18. Tony

Tony

Didn't say i was going to buy yet, just said i sent them a note with questions because i liked the tread design and style.
    Believe me, i've spent a LOT of time on Hurst, and reading what everyone has to say etc etc etc..
    I LOVE your product, but i'm not seeing what i am looking for...
    I truly wish you guy's offered something with an actual tread pattern to them other than custom grooving, and maybe a little harder compound.
    It'd make thing's SO easy 'cause i'd be getting them AND the slick front blackwall front runners you offer.

Unless i missed something and you do?

Tony

19. Tony
    We used to use dirt track tires a lot. They came in an abundence of different tread styles. I think that you can still find tires with the diamond tread like old stones or even a modern dirt track tire is going to be pretty squared off and biggish.

20. 3day

3day
    from UK

Went through the same searches as you last year. There was only one tire for me in the end that fitted the period and had some tread on it (just) and a proper mid 60's vibe. Each to their own, these do it for me, and were popular back then by the looks of it.

Attached Files:

21. Where can you get those, and what size are they?

22. Have you considered getting some different wheels? You should be able to get a pretty penny for those magnesium wheels, and buy some narrower magnesium wheels, maybe even trade.

23. Tony

Tony

I gave it some thought. My issue with that is the ones i have out back are perfect, spin true and are already mine. No searching.
    They've actually been on the rear of my 52 Chevy truck for the past two years with 17+K miles on em.
    So trying to find another pair in the same shape probably won't be easy.
    Although it's taking some time, it's still easier to find tires.
    Plus i think they're gonna look pretty good :D

Thanks for the info, pics and taking the time to post fella's. Much appreciated.

Tony

24. Noland

Noland

Im interested in this too. Ive been looking trying to figure something out. I would really like to have 10'' tires on the back of my car but need tires to match of course.

25. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

I have some of the old M&H cheater slicks and they look good. Just like the ones posted earlier.

they actually hook up well enough to propel my 68 Nova to 11.3 ET

26. Tony

Tony

Cody, sent you a pm a couple days ago with some questions.
    If you get a chance let me know your thoughts please.
    Thanks.

Tony

27. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

I just went through this too. Finding anything that's got nice square corners to the tread, and are tall and wide was a real problem. I also wanted more tread since I drive in all sorts of weather. Anything I found that looked close was astronomically priced!
    To add to the issues, my insurance co. said I had to run DOT legal tires, or they wouldn't cover the car.
    I ended up going with M&H and got something with a bit more tread than their street legal DOT slicks. I dealt directly with M&H and got them shipped to my house for less than any of the online suppliers prices before shipping. Call John at M&H West and got them for under $500 to my door.
    Here's a picture:
    http://www.mandhtires.com/store.php?crn=70&rn=291&action=show_detail

[​IMG]

28. HenryJGuy

HenryJGuy
    from Dayton, TN

Coker is reproducing those 12.00-15 Firestone Indy Tires....pretty killer looking tire, especially if you take the time to hand letter it with gold paint. They're a low production tire, so the price is really high, but definitely a good tire for a mid-to-late '60s style hot rod.