Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Does the HAMB really need another shoebox build thread?

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Big A, Sep 14, 2011.

1. Ralphies54

Ralphies54

Great job. We're proud of ya.

2. mace69

mace69
    from mass

3. Circus Bear

Circus Bear

Keep on chippin away bro. I can't wait to go for another ride.

4. Lookin' good! Congrats on the milestone, you ROCK Andrew! Plus...you are one Sexy Mutha Fukaa!:D

5. :eek::eek::eek:

Oh My!

6. Murch

Murch

I wouldn't have known where to start if I found that much cancer, but you dove right in! Great work, keep it up!

Murch.

7. After Xmas holidays and getting sidelined for a couple weeks with the cold from hell, I finally got some time in garage again.

Bob Bleed might be a helluva good welder now, but when he did this car a long time ago he was definitely not too interested in the details. I spent this weekend cutting out a lot of his old work and redoing it. Nice to have the luxury of a donor roof hanging on my wall to cut some bits and pieces off of.

I couldn't put the car back together with stuff like this...

[​IMG]

I tried to clean it up a bit, it just made it worse...

[​IMG]

Used the tried-and-true masking tape measuring method...

[​IMG]

Cutting this scared the shit outta me...

[​IMG]

But it seemed to work...

[​IMG]

I figure it's like outrunning a bear. I don't have to outrun the bear, I just have to outrun the guy beside me. So, I don't have to make it perfect, I just have to do a better job than this...

[​IMG]

Cut it out...

[​IMG]

I might change my screen name to King Boogerweld...

[​IMG]

Got both B pillars and one doorframe redone, cut out and reworked the hacked-up package tray, made and installed the last two floor braces under the rear seat area, and did most of the finish welding on the big exterior patch panels that I'd been procrastinating about. Didn't get photos of most of it, but progress is good.

8. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

Thats really nice progress!
    That B-pilar looks much better now.
    I wish i had a donor roof too,i have some rust issues on the top...

9. What do you need? Once I'm done with mine, if I have pieces you need I'll cut off whatever you want.

10. Wow man!! I like the out running the bear analogy. Nice work on the b pillar. It's going to be slick man!

11. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

Thanks for the offer man!
    I'll send email to you.

12. Circus Bear

Circus Bear

Holy Shit bro.......That looks a hell of a lot better. You have definitely raised the bar for a first build.

13. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

You're definately improving it

14. Sheesh, now you're making me look like a Slacker, All I have done is make a cup holder over the last two months.

keep up the good work

15. firehawgcfd

firehawgcfd

Just found this thread this morning. Read it start to finish and subscribed. Awesome work, can't wait to see the finished product. Inspired me to drag the 50 sitting outside my shop inside and get busy. It has almost as much rust as yours but you have definitely shown what can be accomplished with limited tools and a lot of determination. Thanks, and keep up the good work.

16. sololobo

sololobo

This is so impressive bro, I really love the dual tailights, hope you don't french them. It will really mess with some minds in a stock form. When I first saw the cutout for the additional tailights I thought you were thinking about sectioning the car, oh my god! This thread should bolster some guys courage who are afraid to tackle some rust issues for sure. You are on my H.A.M.B. HEROS list. Thanks for sharing this build. ~sololobo~

17. HenryJoe50shoebox

HenryJoe50shoebox

Great work fella! you got some good vision on this. I was checkin around to see if anybody else was workin on a shoebox since I just knuckled down on a 50 fordor and am fixing to give it a real low chop and essentially have the fordor look gone and swap the rear exits out to suicide. Gettin a lot of good tips from your visions here friend! great work! maybe we'd have the chance to rip it up sometime when she's on the road since I am shacked in montreal for now. Again, great work!!!

18. Thanks for all the positive input, it keeps me going back for more punishment :D

HenryJoe, lots of shoebox builds going on. I had a '49 moredoor for about 10 years, it was a lot nicer car than the tudor I'm mucking with now. Check out the Shoebox Group for lots of info...

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/group.php?groupid=127

19. GooGooMuck

GooGooMuck
    from Tacoma, WA

Just read this beginning to end, so inspiring that I am now headed straight out to the garage! I have to go pack for a move, but am freshly inspired to get crackin' on the wife's car, soon I will have space!
    Great build so far, thanks for letting us along for the ride!

20. skoh73

skoh73

Jeff told me about this, but I just checked it out for the first time. Sucks that it was such a pile of shit, but you have done an insane job- keep it up!

21. Lookin' good dude! Eatin' the ol' elephant one bite at a time, eh. Hang in there man, you'll be there 'fore ya know it.

22. I kinda had it in my head that the rust repair portion of the evening's entertainment was behind me. Wishful thinking, of course. I've been waffling between salvaging the original (already chopped, shaved etc) doors or using a new set I got from Jaker with my parts car.

Had a gander at the old doors... lovely... I know, I know, what did I expect, right? hard to tell from the photo, but that Bondo is about a mile and a half thick...

[​IMG]

Alrighty then, guess I'm chopping the new doors...

[​IMG]

My palms were getting a bit sweaty as I grabbed the sawzall. Nothing like taking a nice solid set of doors... and fucking them up...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Going to take a bit of massaging. Got a few holes to fill and dents to undent...

[​IMG]

That's the easy part. I got the various pieces cut, and should be welding 'em up next weekend. As usual, I ran out of time yesterday.

Stay tuned. Next weekend I'm also going to screw up a perfectly good trunk lid.

23. Sounds like fun. Loving the documentary.
    How many cans of filler do you figure are in the other door?

25. so which car has/had more bondo.....the can or the shoebox?

26. There's probably 20lbs of bondo in each door. Bob is definitely a good sculptor.

I seem to recall the Can O' Worms had a little filler in it to start, didn't it? :D

27. haha if you both started out with a handful of empty 5 gallon buckets and see who had the most that would have been cool

keep at it bro....looking forward to a ride in her again

28. bobbleed

bobbleed
    from Awesome

Hey I diddn't do that to the doors! ( I did though, destroy the trunk lid..... it has to be the single worst thing I have ever done.... damn I wish I could change that)

I am inspired everytime I see this post.

That car was so dear to me I guess I diddn't realise how fucked up it really was. Kind of when people don't realise thay have an ugly baby! I was young and dumb and I really thought I would just go back and refine everything later.... Big hurry....

I know you probably hate me, and damn I can't even blame you, but I really am just proud of you and this build! You are a ruler for sure!

I still am planning on sending you something good..... maybe a few good things....

Last edited: Feb 13, 2012
  29. Circus Bear

Circus Bear

looking good bro. Keep at it. You are making me look like a slacker though. :)

30. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

Looking Dandy Andy.......You gots the hustle on!!