Register now to get rid of these ads!

Anyone know how to git rid of spiders?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Toqwik, Jan 16, 2012.

1. Keep a couple garter snakes in your car, they eat spiders and they're non poisonous.........................................THEY'LL SHIT ALL OVER YOUR CAR, KID!

2. Standard gas&oil

Standard gas&oil
    from USA #1

WTF This is a joke right ? do you really expect flea collars to kill/repel spiders ?

Im supprised someone has not suggested dryer sheets,mothballs,snake oil,coyote urine,little tree air freshners,lavander bags and other dumbass methods instead of a product that actually works. People you can go to a hardware store and pick up a can of pyrethrin spider spray for around $6.00 that will actually kill on contact. Why risk getting a nasty bite ?

3. To not want to spritz chemicals around does not make one a hippy. I actually knew a few hippies over the years I doubt that you have ever met one. They were more peace love dove incscense and light shows that save mother earth.

There was a time that I thought that agent orange was pretty neat stuff and it was perfectly safe I know it was.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2012
  4. When I had my spider bite (a few threads or so up...) the doctor asked me if I could make a fist with both hands, extend my arms out in front of me, palms up. I complied figuring it was a legit test.. then he starts singing the Spider Man tune...

Bob

5. Standard gas&oil

Standard gas&oil
    from USA #1

Im sure you have never used any chemicals right ? things like brake cleaner,carb cleaner,degreaser,paint stripper,thinner,glue, ect. Things that are far worse than a can of pyrethrin spider spray.

Not all chemicals are bad as you think, Pyrethrins are plant based products made from flowers and if used properly is a safe alternative to some of the insane stuff posted on this forum.

6. Fool Injection

Fool Injection

Why don't you all move to England & get some fucking conkers?

7. harrys55chevy@bellsouth.n

[email protected]

Sevin dust under the carpet & seats just a little will do ... sprinkle a little around in youre shop ...

8. big bad john

big bad john

...."Raid" always works for me

9. Gee that's what they told us about agent orange? The Brits used to use malathion for lice. That stuff will strip the paint off your car.

Actually I have used chemicals in the past, I still use chemicals, gasoline, brake fluid, sodiumglycol, MEK, just not to kill bugs. I even keep a can of hot shot around to squirt hornets.

I used to use chlorodane to keep the snakes etc down around the house, a lot of us did. I watched a close friends son waste away with leukemia. The Dr said that there was a pretty good chance that the chlorodane helped him along. I really don't know I am certainly not a chemist or an oncologist. I do know that it wasn't much fun watching the little fella waste away. Maybe you would find it more enjoyable than I did.

I made a suggestion of something that I know that works, you don't think it does but you really don't know.

Getting back to it, I really don't appreciate being called a hippy by someone who wasn't there to get spat on either. I did try to be as polite as possible about it. At least I didn't say what I had intended to say.

10. Harry o

Harry o
    from Georgia

Sevin Dust under the carpet and around where you park the car

11. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

I got Beaner's point about Agent Orange.

We've had discussions on the HAMB about how to handle mice, snakes, now spiders. :rolleyes: Generally speaking, guys are just asking other HAMBers what has worked for them, in the real world, preferably without environmental damage.

I seem to recall that, on every thread, an exterminator has waded in and said that you can't do anything yourself :mad: (hotrodding is ABOUT doing things yourself). While I DO use various commercial products for specific problems -- and always have -- I don't appreciate the condescension of someone, anyone, telling a group of car guys that they are in over their heads about bugs, spiders (not bugs, BTW), snakes, 'coons or anything else for that matter. Baloney.

Guys have fed into this thread in good faith, mostly just making suggestions about what has worked for them for others, etc. And they're dismissed out of hand (the clear implication was) because they are subscribing to some sort of voodoo. :p Myself, I found a good body of info by the University of Iowa that clearly shows that naturally occurring chemicals in hedge apples DO creepy-crawlers, etc., and they are working on how to replicate the chemical compound.

Voodoo? As Beaner said, what is the harm in giving hedge apples a shot?:confused:

The guys who kill pests for a living have a right to present their case. Yet, don't they operate business by getting in and out fast and making a profit? Haven't we heard enough from that section? Let's face it, paying an exterminator MAY NOT be only one solution to ridding one's self of a pest. I don't hold with anyone hijacking a thread, regardless of their intention or motive, whatever that may be.

I want to hear from ALL interested parties, not hear one biased faction of an issue telling everyone else they are wrong, nor implying that they are experientially or academically unworthy to comment. Let's stop the subterfuge and obfuscation that obstructs constructive conversation.

Let's let everybody speak here!:cool:

12. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

Yeah, I hear ya shemi
    sometimes i feel it aint worth it somedays to stand up and say" hey here's what I did and it worked for me" anymore

fuckit, i'll keep my teachings to myself

I'll go back to reading other shit thats more interesting..like THIS! http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=543781

13. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

14. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

..;)..:cool:

15. seabeecmc

seabeecmc
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Turnipseed. Ron

16. afaulk

afaulk

Dang, all this time and not one response to my suggestion about dirt daubers! I'd set off some bug bombs. Spiders are nice guys, next to dirt daubers. Hmm, maybe someone should start a thread about how to get rid of them.

17. BIGNICK46733

BIGNICK46733

18. BIGNICK46733

BIGNICK46733

The cold in illinois may kill the spidees but probably not the eggs that mighta' been left in there. The flea collers will do the trick but it won't till they hatch. Wait'll spring.

19. dgasbag

dgasbag
    from Upstate NY

Turnipseed only kills Porsche Spiders (Spyders)

20. Standard gas&oil

Standard gas&oil
    from USA #1

At no point ever have I said or others in the professional pest control industry said that treatment has to only be done by us. If you read the posts I gave some simple low cost methods for the do it your self people out there. Our purpose is to inform and protect people from getting bit from spiders and use "proven" metheds. I have 26 years as a entomologist and will tell you for a fact that hedge apples are a myth for spiders. Spiders don't react to smells. If this scam actually worked the professional pest control industry would use these apples all across the country.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2012
  21. Holy Shit dinokruz- for some reason I got a picture in my head of that footstomp under the moonlight and started laughing so hard I about ran out of air.

seebee- damn near the same reaction from your tagline

Sorry, No advise on spiders though..

22. Cortney

Cortney

Fantasic!!! Hahahaha!

23. Roger O'Dell

Roger O'Dell

Maybe someone could post a link to "WARNING ABOUT BRAKE CLEANER & HEAT"

24. But chemical warfare is the best part of the whole ordeal.

25. Yea you and Hank Hill's neighbor.

Ya know the other day I saw where a fellas garage blew up, something to do with gas fumes and a water heater (that would be hot water heater to the unedumacated(sic)). I'll just about bet there aint no durned spahders in his garage.

26. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

Slightly off topic, but I'm big on safety-first. One HAMBer has permanent lung and nervous system damage from starting to work on parts cleaned with brake cleaner spray, before they were good and dry. Applying heat (he actually started welding on parts, not torching) caused phosgene gas:eek:, one of the gases used by the Germans in WWI trench warfare. Bad shit. Real life-changer for him!

Maybe we should establish an FAQ/safety tips thread?:confused:

27. That is probably not a bad idea. I'll start a thread before I set out on an adventure today.

But as a start naphthalene will cause liver and kidney damage as well as cataracts. But I do understand it is hell on bugs and cats.