Register now to get rid of these ads!

Tips for getting the suede look to your paint

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jtlester, Jan 22, 2012.

1. jtlester

jtlester
    from Texas

In a few weeks I will be getting my model A ready for paint. I am planning on going for a nice suede or satin finish on it. I plan on spraying a PPG white sealer then I will spray on a PPG silver basecoat with out the clear. Will this give me the look that I am going for or should I still spray a clear with flatner in it? Any suggestions would help?

2. Rob Paul

Rob Paul

I tried using PPG flexed and flat clear. It would smudge up with fingerprints and proved impossible to clean. Some guys have had good results, but not me. I ended re- doing it with a gloss finish. WAY easier to maintain.

Rob

3. Special Ed

Special Ed

Why not just go the traditional route, and paint it shiny?

4. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'd spray the clear, with a flattening agent. It will hold up better than just base.

5. Squablow

Squablow

I've never tried it personally, but I've heard that uncleared basecoat will chalk up and fade off in the sun, it's really not meant to be a top coat. The flexed and flat clear is kinda pricey and apparently is hard to maintain. I've heard some people have had decent luck using acrylic enamel with a flattener added to it.

6. matthew mcglothin

matthew mcglothin

I think he needs help and suggestions about" suede paint"( thread title). Since when is satin,flat, and suede not traditional?

7. Special Ed

Special Ed

I won't get into it with you here, and hijack this guy's thread, but suede was NOT a "traditional" finish on any cars in my neighborhood (Southern California) during the fifties-sixties. It was merely a temporary step taken on it's way to a shiny paint finish... :cool:

8. Went to my PPG jobber and they make satin paints in their industrial urethane line, a lot cheaper than their automotive side.

9. BrandonB

BrandonB
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from nor cal

10. slammed

slammed

WTF? Hijax already with the paint it shiny. There are a lot of paint companies that offer semi/flat finishes. Pick your brand or what your wallet dictates.

11. I painted my A with enamel (brushed) then wet sanded. Used 320 grit and worked up to 1500 grit. If I'd gone to 2-3000 grit it would have been a nice suede finish, but I wanted that old barn look.
    [​IMG]

12. 64ONEOFF

64ONEOFF
    from Md.

JOHN DEER BLITZ BLACK. comes out great, very inexpensive, and repells gas oils etc etc.... I along with many other people have been using it for awhile....GOOD STUFF. And gives a great satin finish.:)

13. WDO40

WDO40

I like single stage with 30 or 40 percent flatner works good

14. jtlester

jtlester
    from Texas

Thanks for the input guys. Im not really wanting to get into the "traditional" paint it shiny battle back and forth. I don't know what it is but I am really liking the way that the metallic paints look in a satin finish. Just want some input from some experienced people who know what would hold up.

15. restojon

restojon

Base coat has no UV protection and will not hold up to chemicals and solvents (gasoline, brake cleaner, etc). If you gotta have flat, either use a flatening agent in the clear or go with one of the hot rod flatz or House of Kolors hot rod flat colors. We use the flatening agent to get the correct flat black on our restorations at my shop and it works great.

16. matthew mcglothin

matthew mcglothin

I agree!

17. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Its UV resistance is not too good. I used to use it on my actual John Deere. Always failed after a few years.

18. jtlester

jtlester
    from Texas

I have heard a lot about hot rod flatz, any body have any luck with it. Is it better to spray with just a single stage for this type of application?

19. Gator

Gator

Painted my Shoebox with HRF satin copper pearl, it is single stage. Turned out nice, just remember whatever you spray is what you get, no wet sanding or buffing it. I'd use it again...

[​IMG]

20. Frank32

Frank32

You should check out SEM products the recently came out with a satin silver (Hot Rod Silver), I have use the satin black. Really easy to shoot, dries slow so you end up with a smooth finish (no tiger stripe). My friend just shot his Model A the darker silver (smoke) looks GREAT. see link below

http://semproducts.com/Catalog.asp?prod=343

21. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

You hit that nail square on the head.

22. jtlester

jtlester
    from Texas

The 36 Plymouth in my avatar was shot with the SEM HotRod Black. It turned out pretty nice and seems like it will hold up nice. Do you have a pic of your friends Model A?

23. kingofalldrunks

kingofalldrunks

That thing is beautiful. Sorry to jack the thread. How much chop? Any more pics? Thanks!

24. you can use either the PPG flex-n-flat dcu2060 mixed in with a quality clear or you could use PPG universal flattening agent SU4985 mixed with a clear...check out the p-sheets on these products for mixing ratio

25. Frank32

Frank32

Here is a picture of my friend's recently painted (suede look) model A, using SEM product.

Attached Files:

26. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

HRF is a single stage paint, with the flattening agent already mixed in. It is a re-brand. I forget who actually makes it. I am sure a quick search would reveal it.

27. Rob Paul

Rob Paul

I think its rebranded Limco single stage paint. OEM colors with a flattner added (and a cool label and name!!)

Rob

28. young'n'poor

young'n'poor
    from Anoka. MN

Not to derail this thread, but h.a.m.ber el bombero(sp?) Has a 32 tudor sedan he painted with hot rod flatz and later got sick of the suede and buffed it out. It ended up looking pretty damn good, like rubbed out lacquer.

29. young'n'poor

young'n'poor
    from Anoka. MN

30. davey_shumard

davey_shumard

What is the proper procedure for washing this stuff? i love the look, but i know that you probably cant just scrub it can you? i used to work as a harley mech, and we had the denim bikes come out when i was there, they told us to use window cleaner and that it wouldn't smudge the paint.