Register now to get rid of these ads!

Great Oregon Racers

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Gary Reynolds, Jan 17, 2012.

1. 32 Barn Car

32 Barn Car
    from Oregon

Woodburn today.........

Attached Files:

2. WCD

WCD

Boat Drags too...wow

3. 73RR

73RR

Wow! Alot of memories tucked into this thread. Why do I feel so old after looking at all of the pics?

4. BadgeZ28

BadgeZ28
    from Oregon

Damn, it would be hard to get traction under those conditions. On a serious note, I had no idea it sat on a flood plain.

5. Oregon IS a flood plain!:)

oliver westlund likes this.
  6. Here one of Salisbury's cars in 65.

[​IMG]

Salisbury-Hansen-White-McCormack

Last edited: Jan 22, 2012
    Kan Kustom likes this.
  7. Svela & Sons

[​IMG]

Kan Kustom likes this.
  8. Mystery car...??? Anybody know?

[​IMG]

9. [​IMG]

AlbricAlbrich-Grimm-Floyd

Albrich-Grimm-Floyd

Kan Kustom likes this.
  10. These are Dave West photos.

[​IMG]

Floyd-Albrich-Bowman

Kan Kustom likes this.
  11. I got a few pics from Gary Parham, I will try to post some later.

12. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Look close, chain drive blower. This is one of my all time favorite fuelers. It was on the cover of "Northwest Rod News" with a large, bold stamp 7.77. Earl told me when Fuller built it it had a 117" wheelbase. After he tangled with another car in the shutoff area, they shortened it to 112.

13. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Hey Gary, have you got any pictures of your Black 55 Chev. Was it a late Hemi engine?

14. One OR Racer that probably hasn't been mentioned, is Darrell Vittone, driver of the Original EMPI "Inch Pincher" VW Bug, probably the most famous VW racecar of all time.
    Although he and EMPI were in Riverside, CA, at the time of the Glory Days, he now owns a Watercooled VW Tunig shop called Techtonics, in Sheridan, OR

Attached Files:

15. Here's Parham & Doanes C/G SBC.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. Speaking of VW guys, if I'm not totally insane, it seems to me that Gene berg lived in Salem for a while and ran a silver VW that kicked v-8 ass in the mid-late 60's.

17. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Does anyone remember the famous photo of Twig In one of his prior Satellites, upside down at 200 plus mph!

18. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Gary, I think that was Larry Eyerly. There was one called the "Sonic Muffin" I think the guy's name was Don Ruckman.

Gary Reynolds likes this.
  19. Parhams D/A Vette

[​IMG]

20. The JR Anglia-Jim Rockstad

[​IMG]

Kan Kustom likes this.
  21. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

It was previously owned by California's Bill Bagshaw, he called it "The Red Lite Bandit".

22. Of course! Yes, Eyerly! A winning car.
    Do you remember The Green Weenie Corvette roadster?
    My memory is so-so! It's hard to believe it was over 40 years ago!
    Many HAAMBer's weren't even born!

23. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Gary, The guy that owned "The Green Weenie" was Rick Miller, He was a few grades ahead of me at McMinnville High School. In about 1965 he crashed a 57 Vette outside of town. It left him paralyzed. He bought the Stingray and teamed up with the Bachmier Bros. (not sure of the spelling) after their Corvette, "The Sour Grape" burned.

24. He then raced a Hurst Hemi 68 Dart called the Red Light Bandit. I bought a bunch of 426 Hemi parts from him for my 65 Dodge WO51 A990 factory Race Hemi car.

25. Correct you are, sir. The Berg's started out in Renton, WA before they moved to Orange County, CA

26. 73RR

73RR

...well, at least on the West side....:D

Hi Marty, Probably not my car...I had a black 55 Pontiac with a Chev front end, waaay back when but Poncho powered...and then some other Hemi cars.

27. Mention of the Eyerly name warrants adding patriarch Harry Eyerly and another son Mike Eyerly.

28. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Digney, Harry's brother Ben, raced A track roadster for a friend of mine in the early 50's. I am sure he raced other cars as well. Ben's son Don was fixture in the "Outlaw Dirt Late Models" for a long time, very competitive! So they are one of the "Great Oregon Racing Families". BTW is drag racer Bill Phillips still around Burnaby?

29. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

On the "Speed Channel" tonight during Hall Of Fame inductions, Cale Yarborough thanked the Wood Bros and Our own Rolla Vollstedt for giving him, his first Indy ride. You can read it in Rolla's book, quite a story.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2012
  30. silversink

silversink

Marty--whats the title of the book? I've always been intriged by his accomplishments every since i met him30 years ago.