Register now to get rid of these ads!

Anyone running Carter WCFB 2X4 set up?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Comet, Feb 24, 2007.

1. If so, tell me how you like it and what motor you are running it on. I am thinking about something that is a late 50's set up and this fits that bill. I would like opinions on tunability, performance, maintenance, etc.

2. 265glide

265glide

Comet,
    I have a vette 2x4 manifold that I mfg. two adapter plates for,they let me use a small rochester 2gc on front two holes and one on the back two.Call it my" poor boy' Nickson.Setup is going on my 265" chev.in the hot rod.It's not running yet just fabbed.I'm shooting for the 50's look as well.
    glider.

3. Cool! thanks 265glide. Post some pics of your set up when you get a chance.
    Anyone else?

4. 60man

60man

FWIW: AFB's came out in 1957.....much better carb.
    Easier to tune & get parts for..
    I ran a 2X4 AFB set up on my Pontiac racecar and it ran well...I wouldn't hesitate to run it on the street...JMO...

5. Thanks 60man! I was doing some research on Carter carbs and wasn't able to pin down the AFB. I did see it on lot's of cars in 59-60 though, so I assumed it was a little later. Thanks for setting me straight.

6. wavy

wavy

I run a singl WCFB on my power pack 265 ci. Work ok but has small bores. Looks good for the original look but I think AFB has better performance. There is a guy in St Louis that specialized in these set ups.

7. 265glide

265glide

Comet,
    Snap of my"poor boy"Nickson 2x2 for a chev.
    glider.

Attached Files:

8. I'm running a '57 Ford 2-4 setup with Holley 4000's on my Y-block, I'm pretty sure Mercury ran the same manifold on their Y block but used the WCFB carb's, you might be able to find info on Y block message board.

Mine is 292 Y block bored .060 over ported heads, Holman Moody cam, over 10,000 miles and runs great.
    I did have to modify the power valve springs to work with the lower vacuum the HM cam produced
    http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v405/hotrod55tbird/?action=view&current=Yblockonstand.jpg

9. Not sure what these carbs are, but the motor's bolted to a pretty sweet T-Bird.

Attached Files:

10. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

[​IMG]

Here is my set up on a Ford intake. I can't tell you how it ran because I sold it.

Cadillacs, Corvettes and I believe Chrysler used the WCFBs as well. These particular ones have 1" throttle bores. Even set up with straight linkage they wouldn't be much more than 2 97s in normal around town street driving. It's only when you floor it that you get the extra barrels. BUT...

[​IMG]

Those two round weights sticking out above the secondaries keep another set of butterflies shut until there is sufficient air flow to overcome the weights. Even if you floor it you only get the primaries until the engine catches up and can use the extra fuel and air. Personally I think they are great for a period hot rod. AFBs would probably run rings around them but AFBs are for 409s and Mopar wedges. IMHO:D

11. Beautiful! What make are these WCFBs from? Chevy? Have any tag, casting numbers? Thanks! PI

12. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

Carter WCFB's were used by almost all the manufacturers at one time or another. The thing going against them is their small size (CFM) and COST; they bring a good price. Finding original matching dual fours is difficult and extremely costly! Just look at that auction site we all know and love to get an idea of what they bring. Carter AFB's are bigger, easier to rebuild and tune, and a lot cheaper. Use the AFB's and older looking aircleaners. Butch/56sedandelivery.

13. I the mid 70's I had a 57 Plymouth DV800 factory twin four intake with the stock twin WCFB's on the 318 poly in my 40 Dodge.......here in Oz it was difficult even then to find out anything on the WCFB's, I put arebuild kit thru both but still never got them running well.........due to the small distance between the manifold carby mounts I could not fit a pair of Holleys so I got a pair of Offy crossram adaptors and then ran a pair of 600 Holleys.........varoom!!!!!......lol.........but eventually got tied of the lack of driveability so stuck a Weiand single 4 intake and 1 Holley.........much better.......but I have another factory twin four cast iron intake now, a pair of Edelbrock carbies and will run those now........the moral of this story..........WCFB's are o/k if you want stock, original carbies but AFB's and/or edelbrocks would have to be a better bet now.........lol.............attched pic is the only one I have with the twin 4's........andyd

Attached Files:

14. cooger

cooger

Coming back from a rod run, my machine broke a throttle cable and i had to pull off the freeway. Two coupes pulled up behind me, both had 2x4's on them-wcfb types. Of course we talked about them-both guys said they ran like a dream-good dream-and they never had a problem with them. I've seen a number of rods with them, have never heard anything bad.
    I'd do it, but for the cool factor I'd be inclined to go with the wcfb's--if you can find them.
    cooger

15. Been running them since the 50s, still run them today. Finding GOOD rebuild kits is getting difficult tho. Have set on my 331 Caddy on an Edmunds dual 4 intake and runs good, have gotten up to 21 miles to the Gallon.

16. Found a couple of pics when they were on the Roadster with a 390, now on a 331 in my coupe.

Attached Files:

17. George

George

Buddy had a '56 Chrysler 300 with the 2X4 354 hemi, didn't have any problems getting going.

18. Finn Jensen

Finn Jensen
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Not running them currently but I have in years past on several SBC motors. When set up correctly, they run great and are rock-solid reliable.

I had a matched pair of WCFBs sitting in the basement that I picked up almost forty years ago. These were supposed to be off a 57 Plymouth, and numbers confirmed Mopar. I never touched them, but sold them on auction last year to someone who could make use of them.

19. turdytoo

turdytoo

I've been running a pair of WCFB for about 4 years and pulled them off yesterday. I had my carbs restored by Daytona Restorations and can't really complain other than they seem to flood over in a panic stop. My Vette distributor soon cleans things out thanks to the MSD.

20. Interested in selling? Have pics? Paul

21. c-10 simplex

c-10 simplex

Who first came up with the concept of 2x4?

22. turdytoo

turdytoo

May sell it in future but I want to do some experimenting first,

Attached Files:

23. 2Hep

2Hep

I ran two matched Carters in my Olds, but switched to 2 matched Rochesters off a '56 365 Caddy Eldo. As I couldn't find parts to rebuild my carters. Ended up selling them to a friend, who needed them for his buick.

24. gmpartsgod

gmpartsgod

i built a 327 with an original 56 vette manifold and 2 carters.converted choke to electric real easy to do.car runs like bat outa hell.no problems..ps took 2 years to get matching carbs...

25. 1962 a had a 51 Olds 88 club coupe, running a 374 Packard with 2 WCFB's that had drilled out venturi's with larger butterflys. further modified linkage idled and ran on all 8 barrels (no primaries and secondaries BS) also ran 13 1/2 compression and 4.88 locked rear end on the street. it was a local legend in the late 50's early 60's seemed to disapear from the earth when I traded it for a 57 ford. I couldn't afford it then or now but often wonder what happened to it

Attached Files:

26. turdytoo, thanks for the pics. Nice setup.

27. I'm mocking up a setup using a NOS '57 Ford manifold, '56 Merc WCFB's, '56 Ford Air Cleaner on '56 Merc 312. Identity crisis?

Attached Files:

28. Nice set up Y8er!

29. I run 2 WCFBs on an Offy manifold on a 57' Dodge 325 hemi, except for the maniflod, the same setup used on factory 2 X 4 bbl 325 setups. Engine runs on rear carb, progressive as the throttle goes wide open like the Corvettes. Smooth transitions to WOT.

30. carbking

carbking

CARTER TYPE WCFB 4-BARREL
    <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    Carter produced the type WCFB 4-barrel from 1952 through 1967, although factory usage in the USA was discontinued after the 1965 model year (a few were sold export in 1966 and 1967).
    <o:p></o:p>
    The WCFB was offered as original equipment on: Buick, Cadillac, Chevrolet, Chris-Craft, Chrysler, Crusader, DeSoto, Dodge, Hudson, Lincoln, Nash, Oldsmobile, Owens, Packard, Plymouth, Pontiac, Rambler, Reo, and Studebaker vehicles on engines with displacements of 241 CID to 440 CID.
    Several dual carb applications were offered as factory equipment.
    I have found no size ratings in any of the Carter literature. However, by comparing throttle bore and venturi sizes to other carburetors, which were rated, one can guess that units with CFM ratings of maybe 375 to 525 were available.
    The AFB was introduced in 1957, and pretty well superceded the WCFB on larger engines, and most performance applications at this time. Chevrolet did continue to use dual WCFB&#8217;s on the 283 through 1961.
    Carter did support the WCFB for the enthusiast; as 196 different metering rods were available, as well as dozens of different metering jets, and several values of vacuum spring were available. Carter even sold a &#8220;strip-kit&#8221; part number 10-109 for use with many of the WCFB carbs. Quite a bit of performance testing resulted in the design of the overhead vent tubes and the vacuum passage bushing to enable hard cornering. Spring-loaded fuel valves were available for marine and off-road applications.
    Today, possibly the biggest disadvantage of attempting to use WCFB carbs for performance work (other than the small size) is the lack of tuning parts. While these parts ARE generally available mail order, they certainly are not available through the local auto parts stores. In fact, even rebuilding kits for some models of the WCFB are available mail order only.
    (Opinion) The WCFB was and is an extremely reliable carburetor. Areas of concern for the enthusiast today would be: (1) not understanding that side clearance on the float pontoons is critical, (2) removal of the accelerator pump inlet check ball retainer, and (3) looking for or making the vacuum passage factory repair that eliminated corner stall.

Jon.