Register now to get rid of these ads!

Street Legal FEDs?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jcm65, Mar 14, 2011.

1. Don't get it. Just another version of a "Shock Rod" - not very useful, certainly not comfortable, won't go around corners for crap, but done to attract attention. To each his own, but rather ridiculous if you ask me.

2. April 1973 Hot Rod is all I got. Has Texas plate. Mike Minette's?

FUELIE STREET RODb.jpg

Definately not Mike Minette's as I see below. His car was very cool.

Doug.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2012
  3. Scumdog

Scumdog

Built down this end of NZ, in Dunedin from memory.

4. carsluTT

carsluTT

ive seen some crazy cars on the road here in socal but non of these yet. may not be overly useful other than fixing a frown or 2 but cant be any worse than a bit of the pos cars i already avoid on the road.

5. That looks an awful lot like the Roy Thomas-built, Roland Jeminez-owned car...check the other thread for photos and a drawing by one of the guys that worked on/rode in it.

I remember seeing the magazine shots with those two wearing helmets and thought it was a hoot.

6. Von Richthofen

Von Richthofen

I remember seein the black rail when i lived in Dallas saw it running down I 30 and it blew my mind lost track of it and saw it again in Big D in the late 80,s at the Autoramma at Market Hall it was yellow then and the yellow pics showed up here along with a new owner glad it,s still around ;)..Wonder how the rebuild is commin?

Attached Files:

Deuces likes this.
  7. Saxxon

Saxxon

That write up is from the 73 Hot Rod Yearbook. Same issue that had the write up on my Scout... too cool

8. alumslot

alumslot

I don't know who's car this is but it's a FED I think. The driver sets behind the rear end. I was at the 2006 Hunnert Car Pile Up.

Jim

Attached Files:

Deuces likes this.
  9. afaulk

afaulk

The concept is sound????????? I do love the idea. The HD powered car is cool as hell. Around here the zoomies would get a lot of unwanted attn. Once in a while you do see a VW powered sand rail/buggy on the street. Not a lot of difference in concept except flat engine in back.

10. Came across this one while looking for something else. Dave Bracket built this in the early '60s. Tom McMullen took this picture some time in '65 when the two were sharing a house.
    [​IMG]

11. And then there's this one built by Bob Brody of Henrietta, NY and featured in the November, 1970 issue of Car Craft.
    [​IMG]

12. More Brody digger...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. And of course it needs to be said that most of this is REALLY NOT HAMB-appropriate material (especially some of what I just posted), so we need to be careful what comes in here.

That being said, if I won the PowerBall or MegaMillions tomorrow, I'd definitely build one of these! :)

14. That's too bad because I think this a great post, but I admit, I am a little partial to this topic. Thanks for posting the build thread listed above, that was a great read. BTW, The Minette 'Digger' is going back to black, the yellow sucked. A fresh built 'stroked' 500 cube BBC was recently completed by Day Custom Engines. Plans are to have it on the road between Spring and Summer of this year.

15. BigDrag

BigDrag
    from Milwaukee

Putting one together with the help from Kerry Hopperstad. I have a 74 home built title, guess it will be a loose interperitation of "street legal"
    Using an original Chassis Research K-88 frame, injected SBC with glide, DOT tires. Body is a mix of 30-31 ford parts. 5 gallons of race fuel and aluminum rods won't go to far of the street but should get there quick.

HOTR-005.jpg

16. Very cool, BigDrag! Do you have a build thread on it (yet)? <grin>

17. Love the looks of them.
    Street legal my ass.

18. BigDrag

BigDrag
    from Milwaukee

No build thread yet, never really post much being a newbie. Don't want to offend the gods ya know. I'm kidding........ sort of.

More photos if you search Hopperstad

thanks!

19. BigDrag

BigDrag
    from Milwaukee

Sorry, had to get on another computer. Here are some picts. taken 2 weeks ago. Hopperstad is starting on the windshiels, a 32 5/w frame is being used to round the corners. Probably make a little "A" grill shell too.

DSC_0039.jpg

DSC_0041.jpg

DSC_0048c.jpg

Deuces likes this.
  20. pro 39

pro 39
    from Michigan

Nice shot of Scotty!!!

21. shtterbug8

shtterbug8

wow.....just wow

22. wsdad

wsdad

Very interesting!!!

23. 60 ford

60 ford

A street legal FED would be a cool ride.

Deuces likes this.
  24. Hammerhead Racing

Hammerhead Racing

I have a WORM chassis on order. Gonna make it legal. Glad I'm not the first to have the idea!

25. niceguyede

niceguyede
    from dallas

This is the reason Not to have one! I couldnt afford the tickets!

26. Zookeeper

Zookeeper

Back in the early '80's my buddy Ralph Clark and I were driving around Phoenix in his roadster and came across a guy with a pair of early, no-hole Halibrands out in front of his house for sale. We stopped and talked and he showed us his project. He was cutting a really nice, FED chassis in half length-wise (in his gravel driveway) so he could widen it a foot or two and make a street-legal dragster out of it. I'm positive it wound up in the dumpster eventually. If I could go back in time, I'd kick him in the balls for even thinking of it...

Scotty's Garage! likes this.
  27. Now, see...that's the wrong attitude. Why kick him in the balls for having a bit of imagination? Assuming he didn't finish it (a big assumption), you oughta kick him in the balls for not FINISHING it! :)

Just Gary likes this.
  28. Bar Ditch

Bar Ditch
    from Tacoma

Isn't that Oddball Customs Hemiroid?

29. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

Nothing to say here