Register now to get rid of these ads!

I hauled home a real WWII Airplane

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by carlisle1926, Jan 20, 2012.

1. EnragedHawk

EnragedHawk
    from Waco, TX

Good gawd! This is the coolest thing ever! Man, I'll be upset if this gets taken down for being OT. If for some reason it does, be sure to check out www.dogfightmag.com. It's sort of the HAMB's much younger little brother.

2. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

Back in the 70s there was, in the Houston area, a "motorhome" made from a tandem axle rear and frame and a Toronado FWD front section. Don't know what kind of airplane fuselage it was but it was pretty big and about 30 feet long or so. The back was just a bulkhead with taillamps, license, and a door or two. I was impressed. Saw it several times in the mid-late 70s on Houston freeways.
    A great project and a great save.

3. davo461

davo461

Puleeeeez! Kepp it going !!

4. Wow subscribed, gotta see how this turns out. Its aching for an Allison and 5sp with a brownie, exhausts dumping into a 10"-14" collector on each side ......................

5. carlisle1926

carlisle1926

Here is a quick sketch of my idea so far. Since the nose is so badly pinged up, and I've always been a fan of B-25 Mitchells anyway, I think that if I cut the off the nose, flip it upside down so that the undamaged top becomes the bottom of the nose, I could then cut off the junk part and make the entire front end a plexiglass vista dome. I have access to an old turret that I could mount on top. Where the fuselage has large holes cut in the rear, I could add waste gunner positions when I patch the holes. Of course it has to have the classic B25 tail gunner position as well. I think having it mid-engined would be good for balance. I would like the rear axle to be as wide as possible for stability and to have it use a giant nose wheel. That way you could turn this monster on a dime like an antique tractor can. I would like to have an independent rear suspension that would have to have totally custom made A arms or something like that. This is only my rough sketch, so keep that in mind. I really would like to make this thing three wheeled so that it doesn't look like a motor home with a plane on top.
    Jason Barnett[​IMG]

6. carlisle1926

carlisle1926

I have two 8-1/2" exhaust pipes left over off of another Lodestar that would probably get the job done
    [​IMG]

7. carlisle1926

carlisle1926

I have a few astrodomes to choose from to mount a navigators dome on top of the fuselage if I want to as well! One is off of C47 the other larger one is off of a B29[​IMG]

8. I used to do rivet patches in the Navy. Not too hard to do, but the guy inside goes deaf on the bucking bar! And I'm a bit far to commute.
    Thought the engine nacelles could be used to french in some nice headlights.
    You got a f'ing locomotive too?? Damn, would like to visit!!
    RB

9. bobkatrods

bobkatrods
    from aledo tx

Yes, Officer i have the registration right here, DId i do something wrong????

10. haroldd1963

haroldd1963
    from Peru, IL

This..I have to watch!

11. Chrisbcritter

Chrisbcritter

Come on, Jason - post it on WIX; I dare ya! Ten pages here already... I like your idea, kind of like a mobile version of that Albatross hulk that was turned into a "bomber" for kids as a hands-on exhibit. And having Betty Hutton as part of the backstory is the real topper - I can imagine it having a sound system blasting her song "Blow a Fuse" as you drive up!

12. thark

thark
    from Oklahoma

13. carlisle1926

carlisle1926

Maybe I should post more on it on WIX. I posted it on there when we hauled it home.

14. tjmercury

tjmercury

I........LOVE IT!!!!!! Can't wait to see the finished product

15. Man that Fanstastic, I use to help a Freind back in the Day
    go out to L.I. to the Airport Junk yards to pick up parts
    to Build little Helicopter with a Motorcycle engine
    if I new that them Old Planes would be worth anything
    I would have been Rich

oh well its a Great Build
    Glad to see something Different on here

Best of Luck

16. Energy

Energy

On the bright side, you could pretty much park where ever you wanted with all the turrets/gun blisters! :p

You would just about HAVE TO fix up at least two of the .50s like Stacy David (from the Gears TV show) did on his big off-road truck, so that they "fire" using compressed air and propane so they make noise and actually have flames come out of the barrels. You either wouldn't get pulled over, or get to know all the SWAT guys! :eek:

Just tell them it's your hunting truck.

And you could use an actual propeller for a ceiling fan inside!

17. OLLIN

OLLIN

This is why I love the hamb. You my friend are a sick, sick man... I love it.

18. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

Can't wait to show this to my wife. Next to you I look sane. I wish I had your guts.

19. 5window

5window

Wikipedia link on Puff:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Douglas_AC-47_Spooky

20. carlisle1926

carlisle1926

For those who think that I'm not insane enough to make this land bomber happen, here is a little diddy I whipped up for McDonald's restaurants several years ago. The body is fiberglass built on a 2003 Chevy truck chassis. The windshield is steel and so is the "sole". It took me a long time but I built it from scratch.[​IMG]

21. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Insanity confirmed, sir.

22. carcrazyjohn

carcrazyjohn
    from trevose pa

Im speechless .Im just trying to think of a real long frame and driveline for you to use,I want to see this at a few shows this summer,Cool as hell.Congrats

23. koolkemp

koolkemp

24. Pat Pryor

Pat Pryor

are you gonna shoot down every mercedes benz and mitsubishi you see on the road?

25. HankAz

HankAz

That is Bitchen!!!! I want to put something like that in my front yard so it looks like it crashed there. I would love to see my wifes face when I pulled in the yard.

26. Philbilly

Philbilly

That is awesome! I'm jealous!

27. 60 Belair

60 Belair

cant wait to see this

28. Energy

Energy

School/city bus or 26000 lb straight truck with air brakes and rear duals or tandem duals?

29. xderelict

xderelict
    Member Emeritus

Way cool. I told my wife about this and she said "we're talking about someone else, right?"

30. 48reo

48reo

Wow man. Epic build. Cant wait to see it coming together!