Register now to get rid of these ads!

Thinking out loud...Chromed Ford Wire Wheels?...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 3wLarry, Jan 21, 2012.

1. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

Wondering how hard it would be to chrome a 16", 17", or 18" Ford wire wheel...anybody ever see one?...have pics?

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  2. 296 V8

296 V8
    BANNED
    from Nor~Cal

Ask yourself this >>>>How hard is it to take 4 of them apart<<<<

3. fleetside66

fleetside66

I was thinking about the same thing the other day. I'd imagine that the chroming process would have to begin immediately after having the wheels blasted. I wonder what the window would be?

4. fleetside66

fleetside66

Oh, so they'd have to be disassembled.

5. Dale Fairfax

Dale Fairfax
    Member Emeritus

How would you propose to polish and buff all the surfaces? Keep in mind: a part has to look almost as good BEFORE plating as AFTER.

6. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

wow that would be a bitch..I wonder if the look would be worth it

7. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

The spokes are welded on, so I'm wondering if maybe they can be chromed without removing the spokes?...inquirin' minds...

8. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

That's the plater's problem...$$$

9. treb11

treb11
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Ceramic coating maybe? but they would look awesome. but much easier to get some Kelsey-Hayes factory chromed wires from a Cadillac

10. 296 V8

296 V8
    BANNED
    from Nor~Cal

I know
    That was my point …. Even when getting solid wheels plaited they want the center out / separate from the rim.
    When stuff gets plaited its polished several times in the process.

11. gas pumper

gas pumper

I think the process would be to sandblast and then start the plating on sandblasted steel. Copper first, color sand. Copper again, sand. Copper again, etc, til the copper can be mirror buffed by hand. then nickel. then chrome. Much $ in labor.

12. chaddilac

chaddilac

You couldn't even get in there to polish them!! that's why no one chromes them, the chromed wired you've seen are chromed then put together.

13. Da' Bomb

Da' Bomb

If you pursue it, the look would be beautiful. I'm in process of reassembling a pair of plated wide fives for a friend of mine.
    Something that they didn't consider prior to dis-assembly was, how good of condition is the wheel? these things are not round, been pot holed a few times etcetera. My two cents is, shop around for the best you can find and start there

14. I saw a set of 19 inch Model A's that had been chromed. No complaints about the quality of the work but I think a good coat of apple green paint would have looked better. Bet it was expensive.

Charlie Stephens

15. A Boner

A Boner

Lots of labor......Drive the car down to Tijuana an have it done.....you will save lots of $$$! :D

16. chaddilac

chaddilac

Where's ChromeplaterJosh at? Have him post a estimate on this thread, and that'll kill the mood and the Apple green paint would seem like a much better option!!! :D

17. $730.00 each for factory built from scratch. I think you would be over a grand to do a used set. Twice the labor.
    <HR style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #e5e5e5; COLOR: #e5e5e5" SIZE=1>
    <!-- / message -->

18. CORPO

CORPO

There's a process called electro polishing... Which depending on how pitted the base material is leaves a very nice finish. It's uses an electric current and removes a very thin layer of the base material.

Could work not entirely sure though...

Here's a vendor I know of in Chicagoland
    http://ableelectropolishing-px.rtrk.com/

Last edited: Jan 21, 2012
  19. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

Why couldn't the wheels be placed in a vibrating tub with some type of dry polishing media to get into all the hard to reach surfaces? Maybe even a multi-step process, finishing with a micro-fine polishing media?

kidcampbell71 and BarryA like this.
  20. MODELA30

MODELA30

21. MODELA30

MODELA30

NOW YOUR USING YOUR THINKING CAP!!! Knuck From Indiana.

22. R Pope

R Pope

There once were chrome spoke covers available, seen them on 16" wires. Never liked the look, but to each his own.
    I agree on the nice paint job looking better! Put a shiny hub cap and a beauty ring on 'em, and you're stylin'!

23. sololobo

sololobo

I am doing a set right after I win the lottery. Oh wait, on second thought I will just powder coat a set of steel wheels. ~sololobo~

24. 296 V8

296 V8
    BANNED
    from Nor~Cal

25. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

Better yet, nickel plated. Yeah, nickel.

Larry, go ahead and do a set. If they don't meet your expectations, send 'em to me!

26. young'n'poor

young'n'poor
    from Anoka. MN

27. flatoutflyin

flatoutflyin

The idea doesn't appeal to me, but it seems that the simple approach would be to start with a set of adjustable spoke Kelseys. New spokes were still available a few years ago. When I was researching wire wheels a few years back, I think MT Products had a wire wheel page and a link to a company in socal that turned bent spoke Kelseys into adjustable spoke wheels for like $500.00 each. They re-dimpled the hub and replaced the spokes and rim. It's only money.

Attached Files:

28. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

What a waste of money indeed! Now all he has is a set of adjustable spoke wheels like any others. They no longer gave the beautiful bent spokes which make a Kelsey accessory wheel desireable in the first place.
    Why ruin a set fo Kelseys rather than just change a set of standard 35 Ford wires? I'm astounded.