Register now to get rid of these ads!

48-52 F1 and 53-56 F100 Steering Box Info ??????

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 31 Coupe, Jan 18, 2012.

1. 31 Coupe

31 Coupe

Hi all, I'd appreciate some advise about early F series steering box technology. Apart from the physical differences and the different pitman arm attachment style is there any efficiency/performance/ratio differences between the two? I know that the 48-52 F1 worm gear is under the sector shaft and the 53-56 F100 worm gear is on top etc but I am not sure whether the F100 box is more superior mechanically and in operation than the earlier F1 unit. Thanks in advance, GB.

2. harrys55chevy@bellsouth.n

[email protected]

My neighbor has a 34 ford car ... Hes going with the 56 f 100 ...

3. 31 Coupe

31 Coupe

Anyone with any advise???
    I know where and what they're used in, and how they are modified for different chassis fitments but does one perform better than the other in one way or another for whatever reason?
    It's curly question I know but I though you guys would have some input with them being so popular over there, we don't have too many down here these days. Thanks again, GB.

4. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

I always wondered why the old magazines said that they used a 56 F100 box. Why 56 all the time? I later realized that the 56 was the first year for the dished steering wheel so the mast and shaft were shorter than the earlier boxes giving more belly room. In the 50s it was pretty easy to find the 56 boxes. I believe the 56-60? boxes are pretty much the same if it's going on a hotrod. I have a 56? in my roadster and an F-1 in my 34 P/U. Both work well for me and I'd use whichever good box that I found first. All the parts are available to rebuild them now. It wasn't so easy in the 60s.

[​IMG]

I usually modify them for the early Ford steering wheel so their length is no longer a concern. This is a 39 mast and column drop on the 56 box. Yes I kept the 39 column lock function.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2012

5. sunbeam

sunbeam

The mass of the early box is lower so it may clear a V8 a little better. If it's a open wheeled car the later lets you run a 57 pitman arm with a standard tie rod end.

6. 31 Coupe

31 Coupe

Thanks everyone, I've gone with a F1 box. Regards, GB.