Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 59 El Camino.. Part Two

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by J.Fishbeck, Nov 10, 2011.

1. El Caballo

El Caballo
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Jay, I am very sorry he passed but he lives in you and through your talents. I lost my dad a few months ago and while I miss him I know we will be together again someday. The same is true for you. You and your family have my prayers that you will heal in time and always remember your dad fondly.

2. It's a new chapter. He left me equipped to handle anything, life's gonna throw at me. I can't help but think, when I see him again.. he's still going to look at me like I'm still just a kid! Hahaha

3. koolkemp

koolkemp

Wow Jay sorry to hear about your Dad, I had not checked your thread for bit...Be thankful that you had a cool Dad, believe me I have the exact opposite.

4. maniac

maniac

Well that's a GREAT thing you said right there. He did what dad's do

Well that's how dad's think too.:)

5. I am most grateful for being smart enough to be around, watch & learn from him. goes both ways, too.. what to do AND not to do!

6. Redz Rodz

Redz Rodz

j ,so sorry for the loss of your dad,my pop past while i was rebuilding my 32 & the first thing i did when i took it on it;s shake down run was stop by his grave ,can still feel that "you did good kid" feeling he always gave me ,may peace be with you j !

7. I look forward to doing the same thing in my 59. When he told me I did the work correctly, on the top of the 59's fins.. Couldn't nobody tell me nothin'! I was on top of the world. I miss him so much, an I'm sorry for your loss

8. gassercrazy41

gassercrazy41

sorry for your loss

9. impala4speed

impala4speed

Jay, I'm so sorry to hear about your dad. I know you miss him very much. It does help a little to realize that he's in a far better place and not suffering anymore. And I'll just bet he was very proud of you.

10. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

I'm so sorry about your dad Jay.

I went to my friend Chuck's dad's funeral this morning. You and Chuck sound you like you had the same kind of incredible relation with their dad. Chuck and Bob built cars together at Chuck's shop.

Remember your dad fondly.

11. We're losing too many of the greats.. I think it's cool we all keep all this going!

12. Jettback50

Jettback50

Wish you and your family the best, Jay. Sorry to hear about you father's passing, just lost my father in November. You have a lot of friends on here if you need someone to talk to, you are not alone.

Just keep working, it helps.

13. Work is definitely keeping me upright.. an I'll be back on it tomorrow!

14. Sorry about your loss Jay. As the time passes your pain will diminish, but your memories will always be there.

God bless you and your family.
    Rod

15. You speak the truth! Thank you, Jay

16. Here is a picture I lifted from somewhere.. I don't remember! It's a peek at what the Impala moldings will look like on the El Camino, with the pure white inserts, up against the cream body.

[​IMG]

Here's a sketch of a 60 El Camino, someone drew up with an extra cab..

[​IMG]

17. El Caballo

El Caballo
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That is a tasteful contrast.

18. I think the pure white will be just enough to look at, but not really take away from anything. I was thinking about spraying gold pearl over the pure white inserts, but I don't think it would be worth it. Too small of an area, really

19. hammeredrods

hammeredrods

Sorry for your loss, keep on it the cars looking good.

20. Thank you.. I can't wait to drive mine!

21. Ford blue blood

Ford blue blood

Jay, my condolences for your loss. I know what you are going through, my Mom just passed (89) this past October. Time will heal the hurt.

Been following part II and followed part one. Great work and I tuely do admire one who goes back to unscrew a screw up! Lots of details in the metal work to keep it a really nice ride!

Go for the gold pearl! Might even consider the green/blue you used in the interior. Little details like that seperate the men from the also ran group.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2012
  22. Thanks for the good words! This car was meant to 'learn' me what it takes to build cars on my own. So as time has gone on, I've learned a lot of does and don'ts. Now, on the pure white paint I bought.. I ordered single stage. So I can't spray clear/pearl over it. I can use that white on something else, so I might p/u some 2 stage white. Gold pearl also has a green cast with it.. but the green pearl would be cool also.

Todays pics.. So today I was working on the lower rear valances, The drivers frt fndr & the inner hd/lite "C's"

The "C" on the right was 'wrecked'.. The left gave me something to go by, for comparison!

[​IMG]

Then after a little manipulation..

[​IMG]

Put some more time in the fender, too. Patience is my new best friend!

[​IMG]

23. Today was spent drilling out quite a few broken bolts. I love new drill bits.. wish I had a lot more of them. I could always use them!

Then I started mocking up the front end

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

24. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

Nice progress!
    Sorry to hear about your loss.

25. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Nice, so tomorrow we'll see a Moon tank and straight axle under it :D;)

26. Hotness!
    I'm breakin' out the good tequila when I see some color on that car!

27. I'm not a gasser fan, so Imma have to say.. NO! (Grin)

I just might do the same once the front end is done, an in primer. I still need to make some front bumper guards and finish the lower valance.

28. swiss39coupé

swiss39coupé

Well done! Not possible to spray a car outside in Switzerland. To cold at the moment.
    Cheers Dany

29. Triggerman

Triggerman
    from NorCal

Jay, with regard to the clear over single stage comment. I have sprayed plenty of paints and I don't know why you couldn't spray a compatible clear over SS. If that is the only thing holding you back, don't let it. Try a small part, I think you will have to color sand the SS first to get good adhesion. I'm not sure if they would be compatible if you sprayed the clear while the SS was still tacky. I like that you are considering custom colors because I think your bodywork deserves more than offwhite and white. Of course my opinion means something only on my cars and not yours. I'd like you to have more faith in your work though and show it off some when the paint is done with more "risky" color. It's a real pleasure seeing the rapidity of your progress.