Register now to get rid of these ads!

My new project 1951 Buick

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by aw1950, Oct 18, 2010.

1. koolkemp

koolkemp

I didnt have to smuggle them, I just paid what little duty there was, that my gas and my time was still cheaper than dealing with UPS !

2. ems customer service

ems customer service

i did not mean to say you were smuggler , just that we have heard of some guys getting caught

3. OK enough said about brokers . I guess it depends on what side of the boarder your talkin from . Anyway I have a question that those of you that are following along can answer. I want opinions on keeping the Buicks 3 pc back window or removing it and replacing it with the 52 Chev coupe rear glass ? . It will close in the back of the car for sure . I have seen buicks with the smaller back windows and I have seen them with the 3 pc as well . I cant make up my mind !!! So I am looking for opinions before I get to cutting . So let me have them , Andy...

4. jr9162

jr9162

Andy,
    Maybe one from a 53 Buick Special 2 door hardtop... It's one piece, and not as tall as the rear window on the 2 door Sedan Deluxe... The 53 Olds 88 2 door hardtop will work as well, same body style as the Buick Special.

5. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You're chopping it, right Andy? Seems like a no-brainer to me if you're chopping it (1 pc. vs. 3 pc glass) . . . but then I'm not Canadian.:D

6. My vote would be to keep the 3 piece rear window. I just love the look of them. Of course this is coming from a guy who's never chopped a top so I have no idea of the difficulty involved with keeping the 3 piece rear window. Regardless of opinion, whatever you choose to do I know will turn out great.

7. koolkemp

koolkemp

I think the Chevy would look cool...probably be easier too...time for someone capable to do a photoshop for ya...post some pics in the huge photoshop thread and see if you can get some help to see what it might look like..

8. Thanks JR . Thought of that but in my neck of the woods ??? Good luck to me finding a hardtop car . Not many survived . That is an option though if I could find one .

Brerhair , Do you think I am the type to take the easy road ??? Geeesh!!!! LOL! In all seriousness I have a picture of a beautiful Buick nicely done and they used a 51 Chev Coupe rear glass . I will see if I can find it and post it . Andy..
    Thanks for the kind words HIvolt . I sure hope I dont screw it up LOL! Really 1 pc or 3 pc is not the problem in regaurds to the actual chop . The question is which is more pleasing to the eye ? Andy..

Steve . I might just do that . I am also going to check out the web to find some chopped examples of both . I have a finished 51 olds thread archived from the HAMB and it looks pretty cool when it was finished . I will have to have another look . Theres also Tyler Durbans car on here as well and it looks good just chopped 2 inches . But hes bagged out as well . It changes the appearance of a mild chopped car as well . Lots to think about. Andy...PS I wouldn't say I was exactly into easy things if you know what I mean !!!! Wait a minute I think your a guy who would know exactly what I mean LOL!!!

Last edited: Jan 17, 2012
  9. Heres a few examples The 1st pic is one off the web I found last year . Beautiful car . It might have been on the HAMB I am not sure but if anyone knows of the hamb member please let me know as his thread was quite well documented. Pic 2 is Tylerdurbans from florida .2 Inch chop with stock 3 pc glass . The last 4 are the same car in primer and finished out . Nice job to say the least . Oh yes , and mine with a 3inch chop and a 4 inch section . Nice photoshop work to Racerdad . Andy...

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 16, 2012
  10. Just one opinion - I like the 3-piece glass. And I think Tyler Durban NAILED IT with the proportions of his chop.

11. dvs

dvs

Yes, keep the 3 piece rear glass. Imho.

12. 48SuperConvert

48SuperConvert
    from Seattle

Long and lean...the chop along with being slammed sure does make it look good. Great photoshop by Racerdad.

13. diamonddrew

diamonddrew

I will second that! That 3 piece glass is the way to go and he did nail it. Great progress on that Buick, keep up the great work!
    Andrew

14. Yes I agree Tyler Durban did a good job technically but I am not to keen on the hump that resulted because of the movement of the rear glass forward . I think if I use the 3 piece rear glass I will definetly keep the beltline in the stock location and lay the glass down to create more flow of the roof to the catwalk and on to the trunklid . Thats the plan anyways , who really knows though at this end of things ??? Andy..

Another notch on the wall for the 3 piece !!!

Thanks 48. We will see in a few weeks if I have what it takes to pull this off !!!

Thanks D 3 piece is getting the nod all the way by the looks of things !!! Andy..

Last edited: Jan 21, 2012
  15. Ianjaylights

Ianjaylights

If you can figure out how to make it work, the 3 piece glass looks great!

16. fitzee

fitzee

seeing pictures and phote shops can be a great help in getting it done,,maybe I need do do a photo shop..lol

17. Hi Andy.......I just spent the last 2 days reading your entire build thread! Awesome work!!.....I can relate with "rust", I grew up in Minnesota.....I had a 53' special back in high school.....sure would be nice to have it now and it was a clean 1 owner car!...I have a "line" on a 50 sedanette 2dr, clean, complete original "unmolested" car, that needs a new home!......the owners looking for $1500 obo......If all goes well it may very well be in my garage within the next month!....wish me luck!......suscribed to your build, looking foward to following with ya.....so go "wack" that top!!....I 2 like the 3 pc rear window, and have no doubt with all the work you have done so far, it will turn out just as good or better!!.......soldier on!......later man, Doug

18. Makin it work is not the issue its which would look better ???

Photoshop away Fitzee if you have the time between HAMB and workin on the fleetline . Its lookin good . Nice to knock down one issue at a time ..

I am sure every guy on here would love to have all of their cars back they had over the years . I know I would . The sedanette would make a cool custom . Let me know if you get it . I would like to see some pics of it . It seems like the 3 piece is the popular choice so far . I am still on the fence though .:rolleyes: Andy..

19. Well Saturday came and went . I am doing time consuming floor replacement but its coming along . I reinstalled the trans tunnel today . About 7 hours of work , dosen't seem like much but each session gets the job done a little closer . I am almost to the point of glass removal , then on to the fun stuff . :) The last pic is of a floor rib on the passenger toeboard that needs replaced . I bent one up around a piece ot 1" x 1/4" flat bar . Its ready to install but I have run out of time for today . Theres always tomorrow before work . We'll see . Andy..

Attached Files:

20. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That's the way I feel, Andy. 7 hours down, only 985 more to go! :D

21. nali

nali

Each single hour spend comes closer to the end ..
    Keep on . :p

22. I think the rear glass issue is dead in the water . It seems that a certain bonehead did not take the proper steps to cover the rear glass of the Buick and it is all pitted due to grinder sparks . I am not a happy man at this time and I dont think that there is a damn thing that I am going to be able to do about it . So I may have to go the Chevy rear glass in the chop after all !!!!

23. 4doorsRfun2

4doorsRfun2

Can you polish the glass? I've seen some pretty bad looking glass come out looking almost new.

24. nali

nali

25. ems customer service

ems customer service

i have a update on fed-ex rates, i recieved a written copy of the rate book
    ( hard to get a real copy nowdays the web site hides to much real info)

a new fee: clearance entry fee levied on the value of the shippment for most ems parts this will be $40.30 usd ( $200 to $1000)

$3.75 for each item over 5 pieces per shipment

remote location $26 or 26cents per pound which ever is higher

and i am sure ups has the same sneaky #$%^&

well i learned something today it really makes our stuff alot more expensive in canada.

26. nice work so far.....

27. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Gotta watch those boneheads!! :D

28. koolkemp

koolkemp

I learned that lesson a long time ago...still pisses me off :mad: Gene Windfield showed what he has done with damaged glass before...scrape the surface with a razor blade, it will knock out the little chunks of metal and not be so obvious and you wont get the rust stains from the metal ,worth a try and wont cost you anything..... First thing I do now when I start a project is duct tape and card board the glass, inside and out.

29. LeftCoastErik

LeftCoastErik

Sucks about the glass. A buddy turned me on to 3m weld through paper (I think thats the name) sticky on one side, blocks grinder and welding slag nicely.

30. 4doorsRfun2

4doorsRfun2

Last edited: Jan 25, 2012