Register now to get rid of these ads!

How to find a car I sold 10 years ago

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by RDAH, Jan 19, 2012.

1. RDAH

RDAH
    from NL, WI

OWNED A CAR FOR 26 YEARS, rebult it 3 times than I was going through a devorce 10 years ago & sold it. Now I'm retired, have some money & want to find & buy it back. Does anyone know how I can find it.? Sold in Wi. & it went to Illinois.

2. oldpl8s

oldpl8s

You didn't mention the year and make, but I'd try to look up the car club for that car and post something on their website.

3. Mayor of G-Vegas

Mayor of G-Vegas

If you got the vin. no. Go to your local DMV and run a "vin search". That will give you the name and address of the current owner if its still registered or at least the last registered owners info. - Mayor

4. william.ali.kay

william.ali.kay
    from Milwaukee

Could try google with the name of the person on the bill of sale.
    Maybe they could be found on facebook or something if you have someone in your family thats into that kind of stuff.

5. That is what we do here as well. Last time I did it they charged me $3.80 worth it to find an old truck that a friend was looking for.

6. RDAH

RDAH
    from NL, WI

OK, I'll try the vin # at the DMV. I don't remember the guys name that bought it, but I do know he was from Il.

7. What is it? Description too...

-Shiny

8. badshifter

badshifter

You post a description and pictures and all the details you can. We perform the magic. Or not.

9. davidbistolas

davidbistolas

Simple. Get into your Delorean. punch in the date you sold it. Hit 88 mph. Buy the car from yourself. Problem solved!

Seriously- It'll take some time, but since it's been 10 years- you'll need to start searching DMVs. Start with your own, where you know it ended up, and then the neighbouring states if you've had no luck. Persistence will pay off!

10. If you can't get the vin from the DMV try your insurance company. If you're with the same one maybe they can look up your previous file info. The info is yours so no charge should apply like most DMV/ MOT do

11. Wisconsin DMV won't help, they suck.

12. rd martin

rd martin
    from indiana

tell us about the car, alot of us on here from midwest, you mite just get lucky.

13. Seems like if you sold it to IL, Wisconsin DMV wouldn't have a clue if the guy was driving it by out front when you asked....

14. Graffiti32

Graffiti32
    from Illinois

Ok so we are looking for a car in Illinois from that guy...... Could you narrow the search a bit?

15. I think I found it. Was it a green four door?

16. anti-stalker laws in many states no longer allow DMVs to provide this service. keeps a lot of crazies from finding their soon to be victims.

17. skoh73

skoh73

Yep, Wisconsin DMV does suck. Do you know anyone in law enforcement? They may be willing to run the VIN for you (on the down low of course).