Register now to get rid of these ads!

Vintage shots from days gone by!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dog427435, Dec 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 4tl8ford

4tl8ford
    from Erie, Pa

My Uncle had a farm in Central Pennsyltucky, loved horses - He use to buy "Mine" Ponys from mines that were shutting down - I managed to get several of them saddle trained and sulkey trained - They could be a little hardheaded
    I was really proud of my Uncle after I went with him to a mine to pickup some new Ponys - I wanted to shoot the manager for their conditions
    Defently not the Good side of The Good Ol Days from the late 50's - early 60's

2. Wibaux MT 1939

[​IMG]

Questa NM 1940

[​IMG]

N Platte, NB 1942

[​IMG]

Washington DC area, 1937

[​IMG]

Millburg MI Gas station attendant 1940

[​IMG]

3. empire

empire

4. empire

empire

[​IMG]

The story goes that, during the Battle of the Bulge, Sgt. William Furia (shown) decorated his helmet with some lace curtain as a joke. But then he and his fellow soldiers realized the lace made excellent camouflage in the snow. So the practice of decorating helmets with lace curtains became widespread. Which is how lace curtains became America’s secret weapon that allowed them to defeat the Nazis.

5. empire

empire

[​IMG]

Belated

The best movie actor that ever was. There’s a term ‘romance with a camera,’ and I doubt anybody had as great a romance with the camera as he did. — Alexis Smith

The very, very Happiest 108th Birthday to Archibald Alexander Leach, aka Cary Grant

6. empire

empire

[​IMG]

Fred Morrison and Unknown Model Promoting the Brand New Wham-O! Frisbee -1964.

7. empire

empire

[​IMG]

Wonder Woman #78, November 1955

8. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

Yeah, yeah, but we're still pissed that the Japanese caused the Baby Boom by denying our rubber supply, ya know? :D

9. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

Damn. If that's Fred on the left, I'd buy a HAMB-O, er, WHAMO, I mean Frisbee from HER any day!:eek::p

10. empire

empire

Ya know....I think this photo also started the phrase.....

Whamo bamo thank you mamo......

Last edited: Jan 19, 2012
  11. twin6

twin6
    from Vermont

12. empire

empire

13. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

I love all animals. Have all my life. Our regular, Moe, takes in cast-off cats. My wife and I have eight animals in our own house here in Ohio at present. Like cars, you often get animals when they need YOU more than you need them, ya know?

HORSES, though, are something special. Caring for them is a labor of love -- BUT LABOR IT IS! Lots of folks pet horses and think they're lovable, until one gets frisky and blackens your eye and half your face by suddenly tossing his head up in appreciation, as my buddy "Profit" did me. I have a lot of aches and pains from having cared for my babies in my stable where I was foreman. Before me, my dad had a co-worker, Belle, a big draft mare, with which the two of them snaked cut logs off the hills of Hocking County in Ohio. Later on, he cried when she died. I'd never seen my dad cry before. Sadly, I later lost two horses also, and I too cried.

But horses are twitchy animals. You manage them best you learn how. You can't watch them every second. These potentially exciteable and powerful animals can often mortally injure themselves, even in their stalls.

But, like SO many people who REALLY pay the price to care for and get to know horses, well, it gets into your blood.

Hemingway wrote a poem about how hard it is when they go.

[​IMG]
    Photo thanks to ForgottenLandscapes.

14. empire

empire

15. Did you guys catch the highboy with a rumble seat at 1:49?

It'd be cool if someone can retrace the route and show what it looks like today.

16. scrubba

scrubba

I bet most of ya would never realize this , but Richmond Virginia was the "Test Mule " for all of Whammo Toys in the 50's . They figgured if you could sell a hundred here , you could sell 100,000 in Los Angles , an dat ain't no lie ! scrubba

17. 296ardun

296ardun

Sometimes milk farmers dumped their milk on purpose to protest low milk prices, looks like this is happening here by the looks on their faces...

18. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I missed that one the first time but seen the 28 or 29 A roadster hotrod the first time,its hard for me to catch everything the first time and need to view it a few times.

19. Lebowski

Lebowski
    BANNED

My wife and I have 7 dogs and 2 cats in our own house here in Kentucky at present.... :eek:

20. jac9f

jac9f
    from nyc

The building with the clock is the old New York Times building which also houses the Paramount theater. As of 5:36pm today, that building and clock are still there as I walked past them on my way to the subway

21. impala4speed

impala4speed

Hey Jimi, thanks for posting that; my first car. Brings back a lot of good times. One of those I wished I kept. 273 with a four speed. Mine was even HAMB-friendly: 1964.................and a 1/2:D
    I miss those days too.

22. Cargo

Cargo

This is a shot from my Grandpas logging business. Now that's a work truck!

23. roadkillontheweb

roadkillontheweb

I went back and reviewed the video again and it looks like they circled the block at one point.
    [​IMG]
    If you look in the background behind the hiboy you can see the full fendered rod that is shown at the 2:33 mark.
    [​IMG]
    You can also not the building behind as the car being driven crests over the hill.
    [​IMG]
    These guys have got to be some of the pioneers of hot rodding in SoCal. MAybe someone will recognize the cars?

24. 33pickemup

33pickemup

That was awesome!

25. 33pickemup

33pickemup

My grandfather in the thirties, with his Buick.

26. monkeyspunk79

monkeyspunk79

Where is this picture from? There's an old abandoned car wash in Morton, Illinois close to me that looks exactly like this with red & white trim up top. Wonder if it was a chain at one time, or a prefab job?

27. A BONED

A BONED

28. swi66

swi66

Yes, the picture caption mentioned a milk protest due to low prices.
    Cost more to make than they could sell it for, cheaper to dump it.

29. swi66

swi66

[​IMG]

Robo-wash is a chain, some still in Kentucky, but the machine running around the car like this is no longer in use I beleive. There were some in NY as well. I remember using one years ago. doing a search, you can find some with the distinctive roof treatemnt in modern pictures.
    [​IMG]

30. swi66

swi66

[​IMG]

The Valiant-based Barracuda created something of a stir when it came out.
    Valiant-based? :rolleyes: Wow. V-8. Cool. :cool: Under $2,500? Better! I miss those days.:eek:

(BTW, that rear window was the largest piece of curved safety glass made,
    up to that time, in square inches terms.) :eek:

Valiant based! You bet!
    We picked up a 64 Four door with a slanty for my wife's summer daily driver.
    Bought it from a friend of mine who was going to use it for a parts car for his Barracuda. Valiant was too nice to parts out. But he could have gotten more for it that way than selling it whole.
    Those Barracuda's and Valiants came with 13" wheels!
    Hard finding tires now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.