Register now to get rid of these ads!

Who in the alliance has the best deal on steering u joints?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by KROWN Kustoms, Jan 19, 2012.

1. KROWN Kustoms

KROWN Kustoms

Looking to buy some u joints to finish up my steering, and would rather pad someones pocket on here. Any info is appreciated.

2. the-rodster

the-rodster

Good question.

Damn things are EXPENSIVE.

Rich

3. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

I just spent over $300.00 on U-Joints. good thing it was not my money. car I'm working on had impact swivel sockets for u-joints, with booger welds holing the whole thing together. you could turn the wheel 1/4 turn before the wheels started to move.

4. Burny

Burny

5. Limeworks...they are a vendor

6. Energy

Energy

Check out 84-96 jeep cherokees! The intermediate shaft (between the bottom of the column and the steering box) on those are very popular as direct swaps into GM G body cars (eliminates the rag joint). One end is double D, other is splined. And on the 98- 02/3 Grand cherokees, they are double D at both ends (maybe splined at both ends, I forget, but both ends are the same on the newer ones), but larger diameter shafts. These shafts have U joints at both ends, are available in late model junk yards (or being parted out in your local ad paper) and can still be gotten for about $20 each! They have a collapsable shaft between the U joints, just cut off the plastic button installed by the factory. Check them out!!

:eek: :rolleyes:

update: 1st there are 2 different types of shafts, I assume it has to do with the year or model.
    The set on the right has Cast Ends and the set on the left are Bent Steel. Both sets work exactly the same. The ones with the Cast Ends have a smaller diameter where the rubber isolator is. This could prove beneficial for those with large primary tube headers. The "Old Style" are a little harder to spread open due to them being solid cast.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 19, 2012
  7. 1gearhead

1gearhead

Try JW Rod Garage in Belgium, WI. These guys have outstanding product, very good pricing and outstanding customer service. I have been dealing with them for over six years and couldn't be happier. They have a web site, check them out.

8. KROWN Kustoms

KROWN Kustoms

Thanks for all the help guys, got some bmw aluminum u joints Im gonna try to work with but im thinking it will be easier to go standard on everything and be done with it!

9. Cerberus

Cerberus

I've purchased many suspension and steering parts from Classic Performance Parts in Anaheim. Really nice showroom. Bought on line too www.classicperform.com

CPP offers a variety of steering U-joints at competitive prices.

10. KROWN Kustoms

KROWN Kustoms

Thats good info there, as others have stated this is a costly part of a build! Can make a lot of shit, but these are a no go, gotta spend the money I guess.

11. 30TudorSedan

30TudorSedan

12. BAD PENNY

BAD PENNY
    from mass

I recently bought a pair from Jegs that were Borgeson's. $75 each. Don't know if that's good or not ???

13. 29moonshine

29moonshine

i use borgeson not cheap but they stand behind there product

14. Chemin

Chemin

The Hot Rod Company is an alliance vendor. I bought my u-joint and other parts from them. 10% discount too for alliance members.

15. Mid 80's front wheel drive Cadillacs have some U joint and shaft components that are easily adapted to a lot of things.