Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects "Freakin' A" 60s hot rod drag coupe

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Von Hartmann, Nov 11, 2011.

1. Von Hartmann

Von Hartmann

Likewise! Don't you worry about the Freakin' A. You should work on supplying a motor for your 30 Dodge coupe... along with a transmission, rear end, wheels...

You need to get that 30 Dodge together so this chevy mill can show you how your Mopars rank!

2. Falfasnightmare

Falfasnightmare

Dam....I am in bed with this hemi engine in my rail Von Hartman...or I would offer to help tune your SBC....but 30dodgeboy might get mad...the famous quote by 30dodgeboys brother goes..."if he gets a BBC we are f*cked" LOL.....true story!!

3. Hambgrenade

Hambgrenade
    from Byron Ill

Yea, quit f***in with that Ford truck and gety to work on that Hot Rod. I am challenging that 30 Dodge to a grudge match at the 2013 Meltdown right now!

4. ronnieroadster

ronnieroadster

5. man very cool coupe im glad its going to be full fendered awesome

6. Von Hartmann

Von Hartmann

The quick change has been rebuilt and now has new axle tubes with big bearing ford ends. We figured it best to leave the bronco 9 in. together and have already worked out a buyer for it. This means the quick change needs new axles made.

We did a quick mock up of it under the car to see if we got our measurements right for the width and we're really happy with how it looks (1.5 in. narrower than the 9 in.). The Palamides and pie crusts are the street wheels for my Henry J, and are not being donated to the cause. The 10s look great in our opinion, so we will use them. This particular set of 15x10s are the drag set of wheels for the J (same wheels as the 1st pic of the thread). The 10s we are using are on the shelf in the background of the pictures and share the same dimensions.
    [​IMG]

7. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

That looks wicked!

8. SOLO

SOLO

Looking good. I like how far the tires stick out from the fender. Is that 2 inchs out from the fender?

9. Ace50coupe

Ace50coupe
    from Indiana

Damn i wish that was in my garage. looking pretty rad

10. Von Hartmann

Von Hartmann

I didn't measure it while we had it mocked up. I believe it's less than 2 inches. About 1 1/2

The angle of this picture kind of exaggerates the car.

11. fef100

fef100

I love '60s drag cars, and this one is not doing anything to change that!

12. 3day

3day
    from UK

Great lookin coupe, love the name

13. Von Hartmann

Von Hartmann

I was able to start on the front fenders a couple weeks ago... then ran out of argon. With the tank refilled now I was able to get close to finishing the metal work on them. They didn't look all that great once sand blasted. However, they are still better to work with than the other set we had.

These are 1930 front fenders. In 30 the apron was a 2 piece (the 1st part was spot welded to the fender). In 31, Ford went to the 1 piece apron with a separate running board. I understand most of you already know this...

We like the look of the 1 piece 31 apron, so I adapted the 30 fenders to reproduction aprons. It's not hard to do. Just remove the spot welds holding the front fender/apron section together, so you can then bolt the apron to the 31 apron to the fender. The only difficult part is fabricating a new flange on the front fender. The flange is narrower on the 30 fenders since there only needed to be enough room for spot welds. I made new flanges on the fenders so that holes could be drilled to match the flange of the 31 apron.

Driver side
    Typical rot at the headlight bar.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Passenger side
    Same rot at the headlight bar. Both fenders had been cut off where the running boards bolted up and required that 2 inch end section replaced.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Old repair job.
    [​IMG]

14. Von Hartmann

Von Hartmann

And after some work with a body hammer and the welder...

We aren't mounting the headlights on the headlight bar, so I felt it would look better to smooth the fenders.

Driver side
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Passenger side
    [​IMG]

... Where the previous weld repair was.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 30, 2012
  15. Von Hartmann

Von Hartmann

We dropped in the motor to see how it fit with the modified firewall. I also wanted to see what kind of clearance we have with the magneto (the Freakin A is getting the Abomination's mag setup)

We decided that the motor needs to be moved back 1 3/4 inches. Also, the firewall will need a little more modification for magneto removal.

We also scratched the tunnel ram idea and are just go to go blower all the way. It may take longer, but it makes more sense to us.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. Tank

Tank

Dude, this thing is cool!

17. Noland

Noland

looking really good, I really dig this build.

18. slepe67

slepe67

WOW! AWESOME WORK!!!!

I LOVE how hot rods are starting to find their fenders lately!!! Keep up the killer work!

19. A little inspiration for you, Don Waldren's roadster....

[​IMG]

-Brent- likes this.
  20. Von Hartmann

Von Hartmann

Awesome roadster Kev. Somebody help us find one of those blower scoops.

We've been kicking around the idea of using a Crower or Enderle style mailbox scoop instead of the Cal Customs. But they are really hard to find, especially not attached to injection. If we can't find one, I think I'd like to make one.

If I have to make one, I will either tig weld it out of aluminum, or... since I work in a Bronze foundry, and we will be starting to cast aluminum in about a month, I may cast one. We'll see

21. Stovebolt

Stovebolt

Just wanted to say that you've nailed the stance. well fone.

How much did you recess the firewall in order to fit the blown motor? I am contemplating recessing the firewall of my coupe 5", in order to fit my mill, and wonder how much leg room is left.

22. Wow, great build.
    Fantastic Coupe.. Will be watching closely.

Thanks for sharing..

23. wlspdshop

wlspdshop
    from Missouri

Wow....LOVE IT....very nice

24. DaveyJonez

DaveyJonez
    from Houston

You might be able to use one of these?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=350453879947&category=43946&_trksid=p5197.c0.m619

Love your car!

Dve

25. ynottayblock

ynottayblock

Man the cal customs look perfect on it now. Keep up the good work, this is going to be one of the most badass model A's there is.

26. SKULL ORCHARD

SKULL ORCHARD
    from KS
    1. The Gas House Gang

love the look, screams the town hoodlum, just sitting still. would kill to own it.

27. It looks so awesome! Those fenders turned out beautifully.

28. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

great looking car. totally badass.

29. Von Hartmann

Von Hartmann

Thanks for the kind words everybody.

I looked at this scoop. It is the basic style we are talking about, but this scoop is massive. It looks great on some cars, but I feel on this coupe the scoop should be as small as possible. I believe this is a reproduction of a Pete Jackson injection scoop. It is so big that it dwarfs the blower.

We'll see. There are a lot of things on this car that are yet to be decided. The Cal Custom scoops do look great on it as is, but I can be a real sucker for rare and one-off parts.